PC shuts down when booting xp

My pc has started shutting down every time I boot xp. I have tried
reinstalling xp no joy. I had an old version of Win98 laying around so I
loaded that and it works fine. I try to upgrade from there and I get the
same problem. I have reformatted my hard drive, I have even deleted the
partition and made a new one, but still no joy. Has anyone got any ideas?
1 answer Last reply
More about shuts booting

    Hi

    Have a look at the following articles to see if they help:

    "HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition to
    Windows XP"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316639&Product=winxp

    "HOW TO: Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You
    Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310064&Product=winxp

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "Adey" <Adey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | My pc has started shutting down every time I boot xp. I have tried
    | reinstalling xp no joy. I had an old version of Win98 laying around so I
    | loaded that and it works fine. I try to upgrade from there and I get the
    | same problem. I have reformatted my hard drive, I have even deleted the
    | partition and made a new one, but still no joy. Has anyone got any ideas?

Windows XP Microsoft Hard Drives