Connecting to a Domain / Peer server question

I have a mixed network (XP SP1, Win95/98 Clients) connected to a single
NT4 SP6A Domain server. The XP clients are joined to the domain and
the WIN9X clients simply log into the domain (to run a login script).

As a precaution If the domain server were to fail I am about to set up
an alternative peer file server on one of the XP workstations. On the
XP clients there is an alternative log in user/password to the client
only workstation which would be used if there was no domain server
available

What I would like to know if there would be a problem logging as in
System Properties the workstation is defined as being a domain member
rather than as a Workgroup member Would this setting allow me to log in
to the workstation if no domain was available. It is would be
impossible to change it if I could not even log into the machine in the
first place

The WIN9x workstations do not join the domain as such but would there
be a problem here too

Many thanks

Mike

The XP machines by default (unless changed manually) allow local
logon in the event a DC is not available via cached logon credentials.
This means in the event the DC is down clients should be able to
logon locally. I'll assume the DC is also your file server and you
want to have a backup file server in the event the DC goes down.
Sure you can do this with XP but you should know the XP machine
by default will only allow 10 simultaneous connections by default.

Michael Giorgio - MS MVP wrote:

> The XP machines by default (unless changed manually) allow local
> logon in the event a DC is not available via cached logon credentials.
> This means in the event the DC is down clients should be able to
> logon locally. I'll assume the DC is also your file server and you
> want to have a backup file server in the event the DC goes down.
> Sure you can do this with XP but you should know the XP machine
> by default will only allow 10 simultaneous connections by default.
>

> "Mike Saunders" <mike@folleytech.co.uk> wrote in message news:
> > I have a mixed network (XP SP1, Win95/98 Clients) connected to a
> single
> > NT4 SP6A Domain server. The XP clients are joined to the domain and
> > the WIN9X clients simply log into the domain (to run a login
> > script).
> >
> > As a precaution If the domain server were to fail I am about to set
> > up an alternative peer file server on one of the XP workstations.
> > On the XP clients there is an alternative log in user/password to
> > the client only workstation which would be used if there was no
> > domain server available
> >
> > What I would like to know if there would be a problem logging as in
> > System Properties the workstation is defined as being a domain
> > member rather than as a Workgroup member Would this setting allow
> > me to log
> in
> > to the workstation if no domain was available. It is would be
> > impossible to change it if I could not even log into the machine in
> the
> > first place
> >
> > The WIN9x workstations do not join the domain as such but would
> > there be a problem here too

Thanks for that. Does this apply to the WIN9X machines also do you know

Mike