which of these motherboards

i have narrowed my motherboard selections to:
ASUS A8N-SLI PREMIUM and the MSI K8N NEO4 PLATINUM/SLI.
any experiences that would be helpful with my final selection would
be appreciated.

tia
7 answers Last reply
More about which motherboards

    <sstovall3@aol.com> wrote in message
    >i have narrowed my motherboard selections to:
    > ASUS A8N-SLI PREMIUM and the MSI K8N NEO4 PLATINUM/SLI.
    > any experiences that would be helpful with my final selection would
    > be appreciated.

    I have experience with both Asus and MSI motherboards. They're both great.
    Asus is top dog in quality, but MSI boards are usually more feature-laden
    for the money, with that particular board having onboard Creative
    Soundblaster Live! 24bit 7.1 channel sound. Though not as good as a separate
    card, it's certainly a plus compared to Realtek and CMedia offerings you
    usually get.

    One thing to consider is that MSI's current SLI boards have a problem with
    the new 7800 series nVidia graphics cards because they are longer than the
    previous models. Apparently, there are some capacitors in the way of using
    the new cards. This could be a decision maker/breaker for you.

    Thanks Ruel, I am taking your advice and building my own, you also
    said just come here and ask, so I will be in here asking dumb
    questions for the next few weeks. I did not miss the onboard
    soundblaster for the MSI, I intend using an external extigy which I
    have connected to my notebook. I missed the bit about the length of
    the 7800's but I am going with a single 6800 ultra on this one for the
    first year. As soon as I can settle on memory I will post a list of
    components I have decided on to see if I have made any potentially
    fatal errors :-)
    Thanks...SS

    > Thanks Ruel, I am taking your advice and building my own, you also
    > said just come here and ask, so I will be in here asking dumb
    > questions for the next few weeks. I did not miss the onboard
    > soundblaster for the MSI, I intend using an external extigy which I
    > have connected to my notebook. I missed the bit about the length of
    > the 7800's but I am going with a single 6800 ultra on this one for the
    > first year. As soon as I can settle on memory I will post a list of
    > components I have decided on to see if I have made any potentially
    > fatal errors :-)

    But keep in mind, you might want a newer graphics card for it in the future,
    and the MSI board could be a limitation. Just because you're going to use a
    certain setup now doesn't mean that won't change down the line.

    Thanks Ruel, I failed to mention in the previous post that I am going
    with the ASUS.

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 20:36:39 -0400, "Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com>
    wrote:

    ><sstovall3@aol.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Ruel, I am taking your advice and building my own, you also
    >> said just come here and ask, so I will be in here asking dumb
    >> questions for the next few weeks. I did not miss the onboard
    >> soundblaster for the MSI, I intend using an external extigy which I
    >> have connected to my notebook. I missed the bit about the length of
    >> the 7800's but I am going with a single 6800 ultra on this one for the
    >> first year. As soon as I can settle on memory I will post a list of
    >> components I have decided on to see if I have made any potentially
    >> fatal errors :-)
    >
    >But keep in mind, you might want a newer graphics card for it in the future,
    >and the MSI board could be a limitation. Just because you're going to use a
    >certain setup now doesn't mean that won't change down the line.

    If you've decided on the Asus A8N-SLI Premium, make sure that you use memory
    officially determined by Asus to work with this MOBO...a LOT of folks with
    this board have POST/stability issues using memory configurations not tested
    by Asus. Go to the Asus web site and go to their forum for this board to
    read more. Good luck in your system build!
    --
    Russell Sullivan
    http://tastycomputers.com

    > Thanks Ruel, I failed to mention in the previous post that I am going
    > with the ASUS.
    >
    > On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 20:36:39 -0400, "Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >><sstovall3@aol.com> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks Ruel, I am taking your advice and building my own, you also
    >>> said just come here and ask, so I will be in here asking dumb
    >>> questions for the next few weeks. I did not miss the onboard
    >>> soundblaster for the MSI, I intend using an external extigy which I
    >>> have connected to my notebook. I missed the bit about the length of
    >>> the 7800's but I am going with a single 6800 ultra on this one for the
    >>> first year. As soon as I can settle on memory I will post a list of
    >>> components I have decided on to see if I have made any potentially
    >>> fatal errors :-)
    >>
    >>But keep in mind, you might want a newer graphics card for it in the
    >>future,
    >>and the MSI board could be a limitation. Just because you're going to use
    >>certain setup now doesn't mean that won't change down the line.

    Thanks Russell, I ran my mobo thru the matrix at crucial and corsair
    and looked at some of the memory they said would work with my mobo. I
    will go to the Asus site and cross check before making a purchase, I
    will be back here with my final choices asking for advice again anyway
    :-)

    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 12:17:16 -0600, "Russell S"
    <rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replacedotwith"."> wrote:

    >If you've decided on the Asus A8N-SLI Premium, make sure that you use memory
    >officially determined by Asus to work with this MOBO...a LOT of folks with
    >this board have POST/stability issues using memory configurations not tested
    >by Asus. Go to the Asus web site and go to their forum for this board to
    >read more. Good luck in your system build!

    Good luck!

Homebuilt SLI Motherboards Systems