Cannot get CMOS to recognize proper HDD parameters

jeff

I have built a computer with a PM9MS Motherboard. I am trying to set up both
a Western Digital Protoge 20.5 GB HDD (5400 RPM) and a 20.5 GB Quantom
Fireball. With Auto settings the Western Digital is recognized with the
proper size, heads and sectors but the wrong Cylinders and Landing Zone. The
Cyl and Landing Zone are 16383 but its showing up in the BIOS as 39***. When
I switch to manual to attempt to change the CMOS settings to the proper
parameters it doesnt allow the change, only allows to switch between preset
parameters. None of which match the HD's. I cannot install an operating
system, thought it might be the disk so I tried XP, XP Pro, 2000, and 98 and
they all do the same thing. They go through initial file installation but
freeze when it says "Windows is starting up" in preparation for
installation.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Just wondering- can you get through an installation of the OS if you only
use the Fireball hdd or the WD attached?
I've also read of conflicts sometimes when attempting to use two different
hdds on the same board. It is rare but it happens nevertheless.
Additionally, check the Jetway website for bios upgrades and read what a
newer bios has to offer if there is such an animal.

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net
"Jeff" <catfisherman62@123yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have built a computer with a PM9MS Motherboard. I am trying to set up
>both
> a Western Digital Protoge 20.5 GB HDD (5400 RPM) and a 20.5 GB Quantom
> Fireball. With Auto settings the Western Digital is recognized with the
> proper size, heads and sectors but the wrong Cylinders and Landing Zone.
> The
> Cyl and Landing Zone are 16383 but its showing up in the BIOS as 39***.
> When
> I switch to manual to attempt to change the CMOS settings to the proper
> parameters it doesnt allow the change, only allows to switch between
> preset
> parameters. None of which match the HD's. I cannot install an operating
> system, thought it might be the disk so I tried XP, XP Pro, 2000, and 98
> and
> they all do the same thing. They go through initial file installation but
> freeze when it says "Windows is starting up" in preparation for
> installation.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks

jeff

"Jan Alter" <bearpuf@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Just wondering- can you get through an installation of the OS if you only
> use the Fireball hdd or the WD attached?
> I've also read of conflicts sometimes when attempting to use two different
> hdds on the same board. It is rare but it happens nevertheless.
> Additionally, check the Jetway website for bios upgrades and read what a
> newer bios has to offer if there is such an animal.

I am actually trying to install one or the other as the primary with no
slave. They are jumped for single primary and the problem is occuring with
both of those drives plus 2 others that I attempted. The funny thing is, I
installed a drive with an OS on it and it booted right up, no problem.