DOMAINAccount Unknown in NT 4.0 workstation local administ..

Looking for more information from post thread on 12/7 that died

My IT group recently migrated our NT, Win2k, etc systems into Win2k3 Active
Directory. For a period of time there were no issues, now we have certain
3rd party software services that will not start - the problems seem to point
to that fact that the local NT 4.0 system can't resolve the accounts for the
DOMAIN\Users - We can log on to the local machine with DOMAIN\Accounts and
we can see resources (shares, etc) and all systems on the AD domain -

When I go into User Manager on the local system and look at the local
Administrators group, all our DOMAIN\Accounts now show up as DOMAIN\Account
Unknown - I tried removing one and adding it back and it will allow that,
but as soon as you click on Show Full Name it reverts the domain user back to
DOMAIN\Account Unknown -

Again, the application event log clearly seems to point to resolving the
user needed to start the service (which that user account is on the AD
domain) - Can anyone explain what may have happened that caused this
relationship to fail for all the NT 4.0 systems? The 2k, XP, etc systems are
having no problems -

thanks in advance!
1 answer Last reply
More about domainaccount unknown workstation local administ

    The accounts in user manager are pointers to the actual accounts
    which of course reside in the trusted domain. As long as there is
    a valid connection between the client and a DC of the W2k3
    domain the account will be identified. Either you have a connection
    issue or a security issue which has broken the trust relationship.
    Have you tried breaking and re-establishing the trust? Can you
    map to a share on a W2k3 DC from the NT client successfully?
    If not what's the error?

    "FCook" <FCook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > Looking for more information from post thread on 12/7 that died
    >
    > My IT group recently migrated our NT, Win2k, etc systems into Win2k3
    Active
    > Directory. For a period of time there were no issues, now we have
    certain
    > 3rd party software services that will not start - the problems seem
    to point
    > to that fact that the local NT 4.0 system can't resolve the accounts
    for the
    > DOMAIN\Users - We can log on to the local machine with
    DOMAIN\Accounts and
    > we can see resources (shares, etc) and all systems on the AD domain -
    >
    > When I go into User Manager on the local system and look at the local
    > Administrators group, all our DOMAIN\Accounts now show up as
    DOMAIN\Account
    > Unknown - I tried removing one and adding it back and it will allow
    that,
    > but as soon as you click on Show Full Name it reverts the domain user
    back to
    > DOMAIN\Account Unknown -
    >
    > Again, the application event log clearly seems to point to resolving
    the
    > user needed to start the service (which that user account is on the AD
    > domain) - Can anyone explain what may have happened that caused this
    > relationship to fail for all the NT 4.0 systems? The 2k, XP, etc
    systems are
    > having no problems -
    >
    > thanks in advance!

Domain Workstations Systems Windows