adding computer to Windows 2000 Mixed mode domain when 200..

Hi

I have a test setup where a windows 2000 PDC is running in mixed mode
with Windows Nt4.0 BDC as backup.

I removed the windows 2000 server from the network by disconnecting
cable so now i have only the NT4.0 bdc. I tried adding a computer to
the domain but now it says "Domain controller cannot be found". I
remember that in windows NT4.0 domain i could add a computer to domain
when the PDC was down.

how can i solve the problem?

pls note my mail id listed above does not work. so pls post in this
forum.

thanks in advance
sibi

If you have no other W2k DCs on your network then
what you are seeing is expected. In NT 4.0 the PDC
holds the only modifiable copy of the SAM database.
The NT 4.0 BDCs hold read-only copies. According
to NT all changes must be made by contacting the PDC
of the domain then replicated out to all DC.. In W2k or
higher changes can be made on any DC then replicated
out to all DCs of the domain.