Best thermal paste

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

A few days ago I had a problem with two Opterons running hot. I have a new
mainboard to try.

I bought the type of heatsink that comes with a square block of grease
already applied. But I already used those heatsinks with the old mainboard.
Now there's a couple small specks where there's no grease.

Do I need to clean all that old grease off and apply something new? What do
you recommend? I don't want something that will cause the heatsink to stick
to the CPU, but I need something that works good.

Thanks

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Richard" <no_valid@spam.invalid> wrote in message
> A few days ago I had a problem with two Opterons running hot. I have a new
> mainboard to try.
>
> I bought the type of heatsink that comes with a square block of grease
> already applied. But I already used those heatsinks with the old
mainboard.
> Now there's a couple small specks where there's no grease.
>
> Do I need to clean all that old grease off and apply something new? What
do
> you recommend? I don't want something that will cause the heatsink to
stick
> to the CPU, but I need something that works good.

I cleaned both sides up and used Arctic Silver 5
I didn't do the lapping stuff.. don't know if I should have.

I've never took/wasted the time in lapping a HS.. Artic Silver 5 if
applied right takes care of even some major factory HS Base problems.

Richard wrote:
> A few days ago I had a problem with two Opterons running hot. I have a new
> mainboard to try.
>
> I bought the type of heatsink that comes with a square block of grease
> already applied. But I already used those heatsinks with the old mainboard.
> Now there's a couple small specks where there's no grease.
>
> Do I need to clean all that old grease off and apply something new? What do
> you recommend? I don't want something that will cause the heatsink to stick
> to the CPU, but I need something that works good.
>
> Thanks

There are detailed answers to this question on dozens of occaisions in
this group's archives on google groups. Perhaps you could try looking
for yourself, even briefly, before asking what's been asked and answered
a hundred times before.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

Richard wrote:
> "Richard" <no_valid@spam.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>A few days ago I had a problem with two Opterons running hot. I have a new
>>mainboard to try.
>>
>>I bought the type of heatsink that comes with a square block of grease
>>already applied. But I already used those heatsinks with the old
>
> mainboard.
>
>>Now there's a couple small specks where there's no grease.
>>
>>Do I need to clean all that old grease off and apply something new? What
>
> do
>
>>you recommend? I don't want something that will cause the heatsink to
>
> stick
>
>>to the CPU, but I need something that works good.
>>

> I cleaned both sides up and used Arctic Silver 5
> I didn't do the lapping stuff.. don't know if I should have.

I wouldn't bother with lapping.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/