Wireless connection for 2 pc's

Je

I have 2 pc's with WinXP that I want to have talk to one another, but don't
want internet connection. What type of switch or router would I need?

Thanks

--
Email no good, reply to group

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi
If it is only two you can use Direct Connection -
http://www.ezlan.net/direct.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"JE" <jedmunds@NoSpamiowadsl.net> wrote in message
> I have 2 pc's with WinXP that I want to have talk to one another, but
don't
> want internet connection. What type of switch or router would I need?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Email no good, reply to group

Je

Thanks.

The 2 are not near another. One, a desktop, has a nic card and the other
is a laptop with a Linksys WUSB54GP portable usb adapter. So it looked to
me that I would need a wireless router/switch at the desktop. Right?

"Jack" <jack@msnews.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> If it is only two you can use Direct Connection -
> http://www.ezlan.net/direct.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "JE" <jedmunds@NoSpamiowadsl.net> wrote in message
>> I have 2 pc's with WinXP that I want to have talk to one another, but
> don't
>> want internet connection. What type of switch or router would I need?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> Email no good, reply to group

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi

You can get a Wireless Cable/DSL Router and two Wireless cards and install a
Wireless Network.

Or you can get just use two Wireless Cards and connect the to computers
ad-hoc (this method is available for connecting only two computers and it is
Not secured).

The first option might cost a little more but would allow better more secure
connection, and be ready for Internet and more computers.

If you opt for Ad-Hoc, log here and follow the first two steps.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.
mspx

If you want to go with a Real Wireless Network (Wireless Router/Access
Point) this might help.

> Thanks.
>
> The 2 are not near another. One, a desktop, has a nic card and the other
> is a laptop with a Linksys WUSB54GP portable usb adapter. So it looked to
> me that I would need a wireless router/switch at the desktop. Right?
>

> "Jack" <jack@msnews.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > If it is only two you can use Direct Connection -
> > http://www.ezlan.net/direct.html
> > Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >

> > "JE" <jedmunds@NoSpamiowadsl.net> wrote in message
> >> I have 2 pc's with WinXP that I want to have talk to one another, but
> > don't
> >> want internet connection. What type of switch or router would I need?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> --
> >> Email no good, reply to group

Je