Can I mix PC2100 and PC3200 RAM? Will it slow things down?

I've just been given a Dell Dimension 4600c and currently use a
Dimension 2350. I was wondering if I could move the PC2100 RAM in my
old computer to the new one which uses PC3200 and PC2700. Is this
possible? Will it slow down the whole system? Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about pc2100 pc3200 slow things down

    Yes, it will dramatically slow things down. Do NOT mix slower RAM with
    faster RAM.

    --
    DaveW

    <a.brooks.amoss@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've just been given a Dell Dimension 4600c and currently use a
    > Dimension 2350. I was wondering if I could move the PC2100 RAM in my
    > old computer to the new one which uses PC3200 and PC2700. Is this
    > possible? Will it slow down the whole system? Thanks.

    a.brooks.amoss@gmail.com wrote:
    > I've just been given a Dell Dimension 4600c and currently use a
    > Dimension 2350. I was wondering if I could move the PC2100 RAM in my
    > old computer to the new one which uses PC3200 and PC2700. Is this
    > possible? Will it slow down the whole system? Thanks.

    So there are two cards of memory in the new computer, a PC2700 module
    and a PC3200 module? What speed of memory is the motherboard in the new
    computer capable of using? As RAM is backwards compatible, the
    motherboard could be using those modules (which are capable of running
    at a faster speed) at PC2100 speeds if that's all the MOTHERBOARD can
    run them at. In which case, as long as you have available DIMM slots,
    you can add the RAM from your old computer and things will probably run
    better due to the addition of more RAM (assuming WinXP OS). However, if
    the new computer is running the memory at PC2700 speed (the speed of the
    slowest module currently in there) and you add in PC2100 module(s) the
    computer will now run ALL the memory modules at PC2100 speed. This will
    slow down the system in the sense that the memory speed is running
    slower, but depending on how much memory is in there to begin with and
    the types of programs you're running (if they're excessively memory
    hungry) then the system could potentially run a bit faster due to having
    more memory to work with and not having to resort to swapping out to the
    hard drive, a VERY slow process by comparison. So, to answer your
    question in a word: maybe. We need more information from you:
    - Operating system?
    - Motherboard: what speed does the motherboard run the RAM at? Is there
    even room to add more?
    - What modules are currently in the new computer?
    - How much RAM is in the new computer and how much are you adding?
    - Are you running memory hungry programs?

    Cheers,

    Ari
    -

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/