Newbie Question - SLOOOOW Response

I recently installed a WIN2000 server and made it a primary domain
controller. It is the only domain controller on my network. I have 20clients
that will eventually join the domain. I took two of the clients (WinXP Pro)
and joined them into the new domain. It seems like things take MUCH longer
now than before I joined the domain.

For example, when logging into the domain, the clients sit there for 10
seconds of so with that "Applying Computer Settings" dialog before the users
desktop comes up. Right clicking on System, and selecting "Properties" takes
15 seconds or so. Checking Network properties takes 15 seconds or so.

When I don't log into the domain on these clients (i.e. login locally),
these operation are instantaneous.

As far as networking, they are all on the same subnet, matter of fact, both
clients and domain controller are plugged into the same 4 port router! So it
should not be a network communications problem. All machines are P4 machines
with 1 gig of RAM and gigabit ethernet controllers. So we have plenty of
hardware power, too.

Pardon the newbie question, I plan to go out to the book store at lunch and
pick myself up some reading material. But if things are going to be this
slow by adding a domain, we might just as well go back to a workgroup. Do
the clients have to contact the domain controller for every little thing
that has to be done?

Any ideas appreciated. Please respond via newsgroup.

Thanks

Robert

Long log in time are a symptom of misconfigured DNS.

AD MUST have a DNS server set up for the AD domain. Do Not use your ISP's
DNS servers.

Basically you need to install DNS on the DC. Point the DC to itself in the
properties of TCP/IP for DNS. Point ALL AD Clients to this AD DNS server
ONLY. For Internet access configure your AD DNS server to forward and list
your ISP's DNS server as the forwarder (this is the ONLY place your ISP's
DNS server should be listed on your entire domain. Do NOT add it as
secondary on *any* clients) or use root hints.

See:
Best Practices for DNS Client settings in Windows 2000 server and in Windows
Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825036

Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675

How to configure DNS for Internet access in Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202

hth

DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Robert Reineri" <robert123@fnbmarin.com> wrote in message
>I recently installed a WIN2000 server and made it a primary domain
> controller. It is the only domain controller on my network. I have
> 20clients
> that will eventually join the domain. I took two of the clients (WinXP
> Pro)
> and joined them into the new domain. It seems like things take MUCH longer
> now than before I joined the domain.
>
> For example, when logging into the domain, the clients sit there for 10
> seconds of so with that "Applying Computer Settings" dialog before the
> users
> desktop comes up. Right clicking on System, and selecting "Properties"
> takes
> 15 seconds or so. Checking Network properties takes 15 seconds or so.
>
> When I don't log into the domain on these clients (i.e. login locally),
> these operation are instantaneous.
>
> As far as networking, they are all on the same subnet, matter of fact,
> both
> clients and domain controller are plugged into the same 4 port router! So
> it
> should not be a network communications problem. All machines are P4
> machines
> with 1 gig of RAM and gigabit ethernet controllers. So we have plenty of
> hardware power, too.
>
> Pardon the newbie question, I plan to go out to the book store at lunch
> and
> pick myself up some reading material. But if things are going to be this
> slow by adding a domain, we might just as well go back to a workgroup. Do
> the clients have to contact the domain controller for every little thing
> that has to be done?
>
> Any ideas appreciated. Please respond via newsgroup.
>
> Thanks
>
> Robert

Ahh - I see. Right now, all machines (PDC and CLIENTS) get their IP
information assigned by the router through DHCP (this includes the DNS
servers, which show up as the Cox DNS servers using ipconfig /all). So I
think what I need to do is:

1. Stop the router from being a DHCP server.
2. Set the DHCP Service on the PDC to serve up IP configuration to the
clients.
3. Configure DNS on the PDC as you describe.
Now, instead of using DHCP from the router, the client will get it from the
PDC, whose DNS is configured to forward to the Cox DNS servers for internet
addresses (addresses not on the local subnet).

or,

Do everything with static IP's and configure each client.

Am I on the right track ?
Thanks

Robert

"Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@NO-SPAMcpcmed.org> wrote in message
> [...]
So
> > it
> > should not be a network communications problem. All machines are P4
> > machines
> > with 1 gig of RAM and gigabit ethernet controllers. So we have plenty of
> > hardware power, too.
> >
> > Pardon the newbie question, I plan to go out to the book store at lunch
> > and
> > pick myself up some reading material. But if things are going to be this
> > slow by adding a domain, we might just as well go back to a workgroup.
Do
> > the clients have to contact the domain controller for every little thing
> > that has to be done?
> >
> > Any ideas appreciated. Please respond via newsgroup.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Robert

> 1. Stop the router from being a DHCP server.

It is not that big of a deal that the router is the DHCP server. The
important thing is that the router is giving your clients the AD DNS server
and NOT your ISP's server.

When you log onto your DNS server with the IP of the DNS server pointing to
itself, the proper SRV records for the domain are registered in DNS, on THAT
server. Clients logging into the domain MUST find these SRV records in order
to "find" the domain. You want your clients to "find" the domain when they
log on (your long log in times were because the client was looking for a SRV
record on your ISP's DNS server for your domain and it was not there).
Pointing the clients to the DNS server that houses the SRV records for your
domain will result in clients "finding" the domain faster. When a client
requests www.yahoo.com you want the client to look for it on your DNS server
and it will not find it, so that request gets forwarded to a DNS server
listed in your forwarders tab (or root hints if you set it up that way).

> [...]
> So
>> > it
>> > should not be a network communications problem. All machines are P4
>> > machines
>> > with 1 gig of RAM and gigabit ethernet controllers. So we have plenty
>> > of
>> > hardware power, too.
>> >
>> > Pardon the newbie question, I plan to go out to the book store at lunch
>> > and
>> > pick myself up some reading material. But if things are going to be
>> > this
>> > slow by adding a domain, we might just as well go back to a workgroup.
> Do
>> > the clients have to contact the domain controller for every little
>> > thing
>> > that has to be done?
>> >
>> > Any ideas appreciated. Please respond via newsgroup.

I think I see... but if I let the router continue to be the DHCP server
(which I REALLY WOULD like to do, since it works just fine as is), won't it
keep giving the clients my ISP's DNS Servers? If I understand correctly,
when a client gets its IP configuration from a DHCP server, it gets ALL the
information - the IP address it should use, the gateway address, DNS server
address(es), and all else from that DHCP request.

The way I think it works is this:

1. The router itself uses DHCP to get an address from the cable company,
along with all the other junk - DNS servers, etc.
2. When internal clients use the router as the DHCP server, it assigns the
client an address from the internal pool of addresses (192.168.1.xxx), uses
it's own address (192.168.1.1) as the gateway for the clients, and simply
passes along the ISP's DNS servers to the clients.

I guess what I need to do is check the router documentation. It is a Linksys
WRT54g router...

Thanks for all your help. Please, comment on anything I've posted. I really
appreciate the assistance in getting this set up, and more importantly,
gaining the knowledge to understand WHY things work, instead of just
clicking buttons. Though I am a software engineer by trade, it never hurts
to understand some networking basics...

> [...]
> >> properties of TCP/IP for DNS. Point ALL AD Clients to this AD DNS
server
> >> ONLY. For Internet access configure your AD DNS server to forward and
> >> list
> >> your ISP's DNS server as the forwarder (this is the ONLY place your
ISP's
> >> DNS server should be listed on your entire domain. Do NOT add it as
> >> secondary on *any* clients) or use root hints.
> >>

> >> See:
> >> Best Practices for DNS Client settings in Windows 2000 server and in
> > Windows
> >> Server 2003
> >>
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825036
> >>

> >> Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory
> >>
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675
> >>

> >> How to configure DNS for Internet access in Windows 2000

I'm not familiar with Linksys. If Linksys's DHCP is anything like Windows
DHCP you have the ability to change all the settings it passes out to the
clients.

Check to see if you can adjust the settings the linksys is handing out. If
you can't, disable DHCP on it and set up DHCP on your DC. You will need to
tell it what IP address range, subnet mask, DNS, WINS, gateway, entries to
use. I suspect there is a way to do this with the linksys.

> [...]
>>
>> "Robert Reineri" <robert123@fnbmarin.com> wrote in message
>> > Ahh - I see. Right now, all machines (PDC and CLIENTS) get their IP
>> > information assigned by the router through DHCP (this includes the DNS
>> > servers, which show up as the Cox DNS servers using ipconfig /all). So
>> > think what I need to do is:
>> >
>> > 1. Stop the router from being a DHCP server.
>> > 2. Set the DHCP Service on the PDC to serve up IP configuration to the
>> > clients.
>> > 3. Configure DNS on the PDC as you describe.
>> > Now, instead of using DHCP from the router, the client will get it from
>> > the
>> > PDC, whose DNS is configured to forward to the Cox DNS servers for
>> > internet
>> > addresses (addresses not on the local subnet).
>> >
>> > or,
>> >
>> > Do everything with static IP's and configure each client.

Thanks Danny - yes, there was a way to change the router to send the IP of
the W2K DNS Server. Everything is BLAZING now - plus I have my own "in
house" DNS server for when my ISP's go down!

I really appreciate all your help.

> [...]
> >> server. Clients logging into the domain MUST find these SRV records in
> > order
> >> to "find" the domain. You want your clients to "find" the domain when
> >> they
> >> log on (your long log in times were because the client was looking for
> > SRV
> >> record on your ISP's DNS server for your domain and it was not there).
> >> Pointing the clients to the DNS server that houses the SRV records for
> > your
> >> domain will result in clients "finding" the domain faster. When a
client
> >> requests www.yahoo.com you want the client to look for it on your DNS
> > server
> >> and it will not find it, so that request gets forwarded to a DNS server
> >> listed in your forwarders tab (or root hints if you set it up that

First thing to check is DNS, AD, Win2K and XP use DNS for everything.
All your machines should be using Your DC for DNS, this includes the Server
and should be set to register Automatically. Do not use your ISPs DNS in any
TCP settings.
On the Win2k DC (Using DNS Manager) check that your AD DNS zone is there and
active (allows Dynamic Updates). Also check if you have a root Zone
(installed by default and listed as a period, ".") if so delete it. Then
check the forwarders, this is where you put your ISPs DNS.
--
Yor Suiris
Remove the kNOT to reply.

"Robert Reineri" <robert123@fnbmarin.com> wrote in message
>I recently installed a WIN2000 server and made it a primary domain
> controller. It is the only domain controller on my network. I have
> 20clients
> that will eventually join the domain. I took two of the clients (WinXP
> Pro)
> and joined them into the new domain. It seems like things take MUCH longer
> now than before I joined the domain.
>
> For example, when logging into the domain, the clients sit there for 10
> seconds of so with that "Applying Computer Settings" dialog before the
> users
> desktop comes up. Right clicking on System, and selecting "Properties"
> takes
> 15 seconds or so. Checking Network properties takes 15 seconds or so.
>
> When I don't log into the domain on these clients (i.e. login locally),
> these operation are instantaneous.
>
> As far as networking, they are all on the same subnet, matter of fact,
> both
> clients and domain controller are plugged into the same 4 port router! So
> it
> should not be a network communications problem. All machines are P4
> machines
> with 1 gig of RAM and gigabit ethernet controllers. So we have plenty of
> hardware power, too.
>
> Pardon the newbie question, I plan to go out to the book store at lunch
> and
> pick myself up some reading material. But if things are going to be this
> slow by adding a domain, we might just as well go back to a workgroup. Do
> the clients have to contact the domain controller for every little thing
> that has to be done?
>
> Any ideas appreciated. Please respond via newsgroup.
>
> Thanks
>
> Robert

Everything is BLAZING now - plus I have my own "in
> house" DNS server for when my ISP's go down!

Your DNS server only know about your Win 2k domain. That is to say if your
AD domain name is mydomain.com, your DNS server assumes it knows
*everything* about mydomain.com. It will not forward requests for
*anything/anyone* requesting resources from mydomain.com. Requesting
yahoo.com or *anything* other than mydomain.com (basically the entire
Internet), with forwarders setup, your DNS server will forward requests to
your ISP. If your ISP's DNS server goes down, you loose Internet access. If
you set up your AD DNS server to use root hints, your ISP's DNS server can
go down and you will still have Internet access.

For the most part forwarders work fine (ISPs are fairly stable) but if your
ISP has a flaky DNS server you have the option to use root hints.

The procedure to use root hints should be in the DNS for Internet access
link.

> [...]
>> > along with all the other junk - DNS servers, etc.
>> > 2. When internal clients use the router as the DHCP server, it assigns
> the
>> > client an address from the internal pool of addresses (192.168.1.xxx),
>> > uses
>> > it's own address (192.168.1.1) as the gateway for the clients, and
> simply
>> > passes along the ISP's DNS servers to the clients.
>> >
>> > I guess what I need to do is check the router documentation. It is a
>> > Linksys
>> > WRT54g router...
>> >
>> > Thanks for all your help. Please, comment on anything I've posted. I
>> > really
>> > appreciate the assistance in getting this set up, and more importantly,
>> > gaining the knowledge to understand WHY things work, instead of just
>> > clicking buttons. Though I am a software engineer by trade, it never

Yes, I understand. I have configured my DNS to be authoritative for my zone
only, and enabled forwarding for unresolved addresses. I understand now that
I Can use root hints also in the event that the FORWARDERS I use (my ISP's
DNS servers) go down so I won't be out of business. I will implement this
tonight.

Everything is running as smooth as silk. As it turns out, my router was
unable to provide my own specific DNS address (it would only pass clients
the DNS servers it got from the ISP) so I had to disable the routers DHCP
server and go with the windows DHCP service. That only took a few minutes to
set up. Everything is running fine. Client domain logins are as quick as
local logins now.

There is only one "small problem". I actually have a "real" domain
registered (reineri.org) and hosted by a third party. I also named my
Windows Domain "reineri.org" (not knowing better). So now when I type
www.reineri.org on my client browsers, of course my local DNS server is
authoritative for "reineri.org" , and it can't find my "real" web site out
on the internet.

I got around this by placing DNS host records in my DNS like "mail", "ftp",
"www", etc that have my "real" internet IP addresses (64.xxx something or
other). It works, but it seems like a hack. Is there a better way to do
this, short of renaming my windows domain to something other than
"reineri.org".??