ATX power connectors - help!

Ok, I'm sure this isn't the first time this has been asked.

Just took delivery of my A8N-SLi Deluxe, Athlon64 3500+ (Venice, 1GB DDR400

Using all this to build myself a new system, and I already had a case
here ready to use with 400W Power supply. Problem is, the power supply
is a 20pin connector with the seperate 4pin ATX12v connector and the new
motherboard is the 24pin type (also with seperate 4pin ATX12v).

What do I do? - Can I use the 20pin in the 24pin connector and install
the 4pin also?

..... or am I looking at a new PS? - if so please recommend based on
above hardware

TIA

Jonni

"Jonni" <i.h@tespam.com> wrote in message

> Ok, I'm sure this isn't the first time this has been asked.
>
> Just took delivery of my A8N-SLi Deluxe, Athlon64 3500+ (Venice, 1GB
> DDR400
>
> Using all this to build myself a new system, and I already had a case here
> ready to use with 400W Power supply. Problem is, the power supply is a
> 20pin connector with the seperate 4pin ATX12v connector and the new
> motherboard is the 24pin type (also with seperate 4pin ATX12v).
>
> What do I do? - Can I use the 20pin in the 24pin connector and install the
> 4pin also?

Don't screw around. Get a:

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=T51SLI&view=techspecs

I have not plugged a 20 pin connector into a 24 pin mainboard, but I've read
claims that it works. I can't say whether it is a good idea. (Seems like
those redundant power connections must be there for a purpose.)

The manual for your board gives minimum specs. With a 3800+ and two 6800GTs,
the minimum is a 400W supply that can provide at least 20A on +12V. I recall
that a 420W Thermaltake supply that I have is rated at 18A max on +12. Check
your supply ratings: you may want a PS that can provide more current.

Here's a PS that is probably worth considering:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817101516

http://www.epowertec.com/power_tagan_480u22.html

(ePower Tagan). While it has only a 480W rating, notice its +12V current
specs: dual rails, 20A on each. (That's a bit misleading: the total +12V
current must be less than 30A That's still impressive.) It lacks features
like modular cabling, but it looks quite robust. And, it's only $10US more
than the older Tagan 480W supply I have, which offers 28A on its single +12V
rail.

"Jonni" <i.h@tespam.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I'm sure this isn't the first time this has been asked.
>
> Just took delivery of my A8N-SLi Deluxe, Athlon64 3500+ (Venice, 1GB
> DDR400
>
> Using all this to build myself a new system, and I already had a case here
> ready to use with 400W Power supply. Problem is, the power supply is a
> 20pin connector with the seperate 4pin ATX12v connector and the new
> motherboard is the 24pin type (also with seperate 4pin ATX12v).
>
> What do I do? - Can I use the 20pin in the 24pin connector and install the
> 4pin also?
>
> .... or am I looking at a new PS? - if so please recommend based on above
> hardware
>
> TIA
>
> Jonni

"Jonni" <i.h@tespam.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I'm sure this isn't the first time this has been asked.
>
> Just took delivery of my A8N-SLi Deluxe, Athlon64 3500+ (Venice, 1GB
> DDR400
>
> Using all this to build myself a new system, and I already had a case here
> ready to use with 400W Power supply. Problem is, the power supply is a
> 20pin connector with the seperate 4pin ATX12v connector and the new
> motherboard is the 24pin type (also with seperate 4pin ATX12v).
>
> What do I do? - Can I use the 20pin in the 24pin connector and install the
> 4pin also?
>
> .... or am I looking at a new PS? - if so please recommend based on above
> hardware
>
> TIA
>
> Jonni

http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/product.php?productid=2866&cat=66&page=1

I had your exact problem, the funny thing was that the new 500w
monster of a PS had the same 24 pin config on the cables. It said
that in the box it included a 24 to 20 pin adapter (which might
work). Depending on what you're using your computer for, I would buy
a cheap power source (at least 400w, though) with a 20 pin config on
the cable to begin with.

pc

"noizyme" <noizyme@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>I had your exact problem, the funny thing was that the new 500w
> monster of a PS had the same 24 pin config on the cables. It said
> that in the box it included a 24 to 20 pin adapter (which might
> work). Depending on what you're using your computer for, I would buy
> a cheap power source (at least 400w, though) with a 20 pin config on
> the cable to begin with.

Go read the Original Post again!

Pee Cee