Make BDC as PDC in new domain

Slava

Hello all !

I have a simple domain scheme : one domain with PDC and BDC. Now i have to
make new, second domain and my current BDC must be PDC in this new domain.

Is it possible to do this without reinstall NT on BDC and loosing
information about users, group and etc ?

Regards, Slava

For it to be a "New" Domain then Yes you must re-install.
To duplicate your current Domain you can promote the BDC to PDC. But then
both (Old & New PDCs) can not operate on the same network segment as a
duplicate Domain Name will be found. And you can not change a NT Domain Name
with out a fresh install.
If you're upgrading to AD (2000 or 2003), then turn off the PDC (incase of
problems you still have your old setup), Promote and then upgrade the BDC,
it will/should migrate all your Domain info to AD. If it tests out OK then
you can re-build the old PDC, or what ever.
--
Yor Suiris
Remove the kNOT to reply.

"Slava" <Slava@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all !
>
> I have a simple domain scheme : one domain with PDC and BDC. Now i have to
> make new, second domain and my current BDC must be PDC in this new
> domain.
>
> Is it possible to do this without reinstall NT on BDC and loosing
> information about users, group and etc ?
>
> Regards, Slava

In news:%23BTBBRJBFHA.4072@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Yor Suiris <yor@canlightNOThall.net> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> For it to be a "New" Domain then Yes you must re-install.
> To duplicate your current Domain you can promote the BDC
> to PDC. But then both (Old & New PDCs) can not operate on
> the same network segment as a duplicate Domain Name will
> be found. And you can not change a NT Domain Name with
> out a fresh install.
> If you're upgrading to AD (2000 or 2003), then turn off
> the PDC (incase of problems you still have your old
> setup), Promote and then upgrade the BDC, it will/should
> migrate all your Domain info to AD. If it tests out OK
> then you can re-build the old PDC, or what ever.

I have to respectfully disagree with you, you should never take the PDC
offline and upgrade a BDC. At least way not in an active network, the moment
you disconnect the PDC and upgrade the BDC the PDC you took offline has
outdated data and is out of sync. Upgrading the PDC insures the BDC which
has read only data for the domain is current to at least the last time it
synced with the PDC. The only time you should upgrade a BDC is when the PDC
upgrade went sour.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
> In news:%23BTBBRJBFHA.4072@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Yor Suiris <yor@canlightNOThall.net> commented
> Then Kevin replied below:
>> For it to be a "New" Domain then Yes you must re-install.
>> To duplicate your current Domain you can promote the BDC
>> to PDC. But then both (Old & New PDCs) can not operate on
>> the same network segment as a duplicate Domain Name will
>> be found. And you can not change a NT Domain Name with
>> out a fresh install.
>> If you're upgrading to AD (2000 or 2003), then turn off
>> the PDC (incase of problems you still have your old
>> setup), Promote and then upgrade the BDC, it will/should
>> migrate all your Domain info to AD. If it tests out OK
>> then you can re-build the old PDC, or what ever.
>
> I have to respectfully disagree with you, you should never take the PDC
> offline and upgrade a BDC. At least way not in an active network, the
> moment
> you disconnect the PDC and upgrade the BDC the PDC you took offline has
> outdated data and is out of sync. Upgrading the PDC insures the BDC which
> has read only data for the domain is current to at least the last time it
> synced with the PDC. The only time you should upgrade a BDC is when the
> PDC
> upgrade went sour.

It can be done e.g.,
You can certainly synch the BDC and verify it has synched successfully
to retain a current copy of the SAM database.

In news:eVNuosyBFHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Michael Giorgio - MVP <michael.giorgio@Nospam.mayerson.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> It can be done e.g.,
> You can certainly synch the BDC and verify it has synched
> successfully to retain a current copy of the SAM database.
I didn't say it couldn't be done, I was giving the upgrade process Microsoft
recommends. It is recommended to take a read only BDC offline in case of
upgrade problems. If every thing works OK all you need to do is reconnect
the offline BDC. If you follow your path, you cannot reconnect the PDC to
the network. An NT4 PDC and an Active Directory DC cannot be in the same
domain, an NT4 PDC will not replicate from an AD DC.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

Okay now I understand your concern which is not
really a concern at all. You can certainly hook the
PDC backup to the domain then open server manager
and demote it to BDC if you want. Two PDCs will be
recognized and an option to demote in server manager
should be available..

Having said all that I am not sure why anyone would
promote the offline BDC with the intention of reintroducing
it to the domain in an upgrade process. Sounds like a test
situation.