Domain Controller Disaster Recovery

I'm running a single Windows 2000 server Domain Controller in a small
network with 9 computers. I take daily backups of the full system to DVD
discs which are stored offsite. If, for instance, the computer is stolen or
consumed in a fire, how do I quickly recover my system to an operational
state? Obviously I'd purchase new hardware but it would almost certainly be
different, i.e. faster processor, more memory, etc.

All references to this problem seem to indicate how to restore a Domain
Controller back to the same machine, not much use after a fire though. How
do big organisations cover themselves from major hardware failure?

Any help or direction on this problem would be appreciated, thank you.

You asked " How do big organisations cover themselves from major hardware
failure?"

By running many Servers and having Hot Spares for everything.

Although we are not big, about 50 users, I run 3 Servers (2-DC/File Servers,
1-Exchange/Other) each with redundant every thing, HDs, CPUs, Power
Supplies, Fans, Controllers, Etc. As well as tape Backup. In over fives
years we have not been down (Production Network) more then a couple of
hours. Because we have other Servers, generally all we need do is re-arrange
services (move to other machines) and get the updated info to the clients
(Edit Logon Scripts). Then the Network is back, minus what ever "special
stuff" the sick one might have had.
Then we tackle the Problem machine, replace/restore/what ever. Put it back
onto the Network, Re-arrange Services and edit the Logon scripts. We are
back to normal.

But perhaps you can not afford that, How about.....

First your single DC should have Hardware RAID to protect you from Disk
failures at the very least. The cost of a second hardrive is little compared
to losing productivity. Software RAID is built into MS NT Servers, But I
wouldn't use it unless you have to.
And you really should have a second Server, even if only running on some
User's WorkStation (hardware), this way you always have a Hot copy of your
AD.
Time how long it takes to do a complete Backup (we are close to six hours).
Should you have to restore all from Tape it will take even longer. Can you
be down that long?

That said. Try:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263532

--
Yor Suiris
Remove the kNOT to reply.

"Dan Page" <dan.j.pageNOSPAM@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> I'm running a single Windows 2000 server Domain Controller in a small
> network with 9 computers. I take daily backups of the full system to DVD
> discs which are stored offsite. If, for instance, the computer is stolen
> or consumed in a fire, how do I quickly recover my system to an
> operational state? Obviously I'd purchase new hardware but it would
> almost certainly be different, i.e. faster processor, more memory, etc.
>

> All references to this problem seem to indicate how to restore a Domain
> Controller back to the same machine, not much use after a fire though.
> How do big organisations cover themselves from major hardware failure?

By running more then One Domain Controller.

> Any help or direction on this problem would be appreciated, thank you.

Hi Dan,
On possibly inexpensive (I'm not saying cheap) way is to use software from
Veritas or CA. Veritas has a product called BareMetal Restore (BMR).

What BMR does is it create an image of the server (inclusive of the system
state, data, AD, the works) which you can store into tape.

So when the current server blew you get a new server, install it with BMR
and load the image.

If you have the budget you can also have a stand by server. As the term
indicate the server will be on standby not doing anything until the current
server blew. You will be paying 2 server but using only 1 server. However,
the server software licence (MS Windows/ Exchange/ etc) will be applicable
for the server currently operating (does not include the standby server). So
you will be paying MS license for one server only. The product; you have to
look up Veritas and CA websites.

I've never personally use the products but have propose them to a few
organisation