98SE = one partion?

baron

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
One hard disk = C drive only?

Do I understand this correctly?

U just installed 98SE and they didn't offer me multiple ones. :( Is it ok, or can I add more without reinstalling 98SE?

IMacs for the blind

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
The Windows 9x installation cannot create partitions.

If your entire disk was a single partition then it will be C: and Windows will install onto it by default.

As to adding more. If the entire disk is a single partition then you need a utility like Partition Magic to divide the drive up into further partitions.

If the drive has a single partition that only uses a percentage of available space, then you can create another partition in the remaining space with fdisk.

baron

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
ok, Fdisk is already in my system?

Ok, how would I go about doing this? I read up on a site that it would totally wipe out my data and start from scratch. Or is there a work around?

I am only using 800 megs of space right now out of 40 gigs

IMacs for the blind

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
There is no work around unless you have Partition Magic.

If you don't mind reinstalling Win98 (it really dosen't take that long to do), then you can run FDISK. You must do this with a Win98 startup disk.

I would recommend creating a 3G partition for the operating system and programs, and then as many other partitions as you want. If you have never run fdisk before the main things you want to remember are the following:
1. enable large disk support
2. create a primary partition (the 3G partition) it will be C:
3. creat an extended dos partition using the remainder of the space on your HD. You will then be prompted to create logical drives. These logical drives divy up the total space in the extended dos partition. You can create as many logical drives as you want. These will become D:, E: etc.
4. when you have finished creating the logical drives, set the primary partition (C:) to active and quit fdisk.
5. reboot and then format each drive...C:, D:, E: etc.
6. if you want to change the size of a partition you just reverse what you have done: first remove the logical drives, then remove the extended partition, then remove the primary partition.

Reboot and install windows.

I wonder...what is the speed of gravity?