Upgrading to XP Effects on FS?

I am considering upgrading from Windows ME to Windows XP. I am wondering
how this will affect my FS2004 experience. Will XP hog so many more
resources that my FPS will drop or have other bad effects? Any good effects
of the upgrade on FS?

My computer has a 1.4GHz Pentium 4, 512MB RDRAM, and a 256MB AGP 4x nVidia
GeForce 5700 VE.

Thanks for any insight.
7 answers Last reply
More about upgrading effects

    More RAM first. Make sure it's matched!

    --
    ....Carl Frisk
    Anger is a brief madness.

    Matt B. wrote:
    > I am considering upgrading from Windows ME to Windows XP. I am
    > wondering how this will affect my FS2004 experience. Will XP hog so
    > many more resources that my FPS will drop or have other bad effects?
    > Any good effects of the upgrade on FS?
    >
    > My computer has a 1.4GHz Pentium 4, 512MB RDRAM, and a 256MB AGP 4x
    > nVidia GeForce 5700 VE.
    >
    > Thanks for any insight.

    Matt,
    Absolutely anything is better than Windows ME ! I speak from experience of
    all the Windows OSs. You will certainly get a quantum leap better computer
    all round if you go to Win XP. However, there are two major poiints here.
    1. Do not UPGRADE your present OS, but get Win XP installed fresh on a newly
    formatted HD or better still a new machine.
    2. Your specs are already too low for getting the best out of FS2004. You
    truly need at least a 2.8 GHz chip and 1Gb RAM. I kid you not, that is what
    I use and am seriously thinking of upgrading already. I do not know about
    your video card, but others here will advise you. You also have to think
    seriously about getting ready for the next FS (FS2006?)

    Best wishes,

    --
    Quilly
    Website

    > Matt B. wrote:
    >> I am considering upgrading from Windows ME to Windows XP. I am
    >> wondering how this will affect my FS2004 experience. Will XP hog so
    >> many more resources that my FPS will drop or have other bad effects?
    >> Any good effects of the upgrade on FS?
    >>
    >> My computer has a 1.4GHz Pentium 4, 512MB RDRAM, and a 256MB AGP 4x
    >> nVidia GeForce 5700 VE.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any insight.
    >
    > Matt,
    > Absolutely anything is better than Windows ME ! I speak from experience
    > of all the Windows OSs. You will certainly get a quantum leap better
    > computer all round if you go to Win XP. However, there are two major
    > poiints here.
    > 1. Do not UPGRADE your present OS, but get Win XP installed fresh on a
    > newly formatted HD or better still a new machine.
    > 2. Your specs are already too low for getting the best out of FS2004. You
    > truly need at least a 2.8 GHz chip and 1Gb RAM. I kid you not, that is
    > what I use and am seriously thinking of upgrading already. I do not know
    > about your video card, but others here will advise you. You also have to
    > think seriously about getting ready for the next FS (FS2006?)
    >
    > Best wishes,
    >

    > --
    > Quilly
    > Website
    > http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/
    > Do not reply personally, false address
    Unfortunately Matt, that is spot on advice.
    XP will hog more system resources but will use them more efficiently. My
    hair greyed prematurely through dealing with ME machines!
    Ram will make the biggest difference but upgrading this might be where your
    'problems' start in that depending on the type is could be quite costly and
    the money could be better spent towards a new system.
    I'm typing this on a Dell P4 1.4 with 512 mb ram and XP runs fine in an
    office environment so I can confirm that XP would run OK but I suspect FS
    would not. Of course the most economic way of acquiring XP is to purchase it
    with a machine (making sure the install cd is supplied).

    Chris

    To throw my 2 bits worth in, I run a P4, 2gig, 512 ram, ati radeon 9000
    128mb agp graphics card.
    XP professional runs very well. FS2004 runs well but, I have addon scenery
    to places like Honolulu, LAX, and others and I have had to take them off due
    to single digit frame rates. I average 20 fps with scenery nearly maxed out
    My new 2.8 gig P4 with 1gig ram is on it's way as we speak so can't wait for
    that.
    If you can, definately go for a newer system rather than an addon to the old
    one.

    Good luck.

    Al Fraser

    "Chris Curtis" <nospam@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
    > "Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Matt B. wrote:
    >>> I am considering upgrading from Windows ME to Windows XP. I am
    >>> wondering how this will affect my FS2004 experience. Will XP hog so
    >>> many more resources that my FPS will drop or have other bad effects?
    >>> Any good effects of the upgrade on FS?
    >>>
    >>> My computer has a 1.4GHz Pentium 4, 512MB RDRAM, and a 256MB AGP 4x
    >>> nVidia GeForce 5700 VE.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any insight.
    >>
    >> Matt,
    >> Absolutely anything is better than Windows ME ! I speak from experience
    >> of all the Windows OSs. You will certainly get a quantum leap better
    >> computer all round if you go to Win XP. However, there are two major
    >> poiints here.
    >> 1. Do not UPGRADE your present OS, but get Win XP installed fresh on a
    >> newly formatted HD or better still a new machine.
    >> 2. Your specs are already too low for getting the best out of FS2004.
    >> You truly need at least a 2.8 GHz chip and 1Gb RAM. I kid you not, that
    >> is what I use and am seriously thinking of upgrading already. I do not
    >> know about your video card, but others here will advise you. You also
    >> have to think seriously about getting ready for the next FS (FS2006?)
    >>
    >> Best wishes,
    >>

    >> --
    >> Quilly
    >> Website
    >> http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/
    >> Do not reply personally, false address
    > Unfortunately Matt, that is spot on advice.
    > XP will hog more system resources but will use them more efficiently. My
    > hair greyed prematurely through dealing with ME machines!
    > Ram will make the biggest difference but upgrading this might be where
    > your 'problems' start in that depending on the type is could be quite
    > costly and the money could be better spent towards a new system.
    > I'm typing this on a Dell P4 1.4 with 512 mb ram and XP runs fine in an
    > office environment so I can confirm that XP would run OK but I suspect FS
    > would not. Of course the most economic way of acquiring XP is to purchase
    > it with a machine (making sure the install cd is supplied).
    >
    > Chris

    Bugger, not that anyone would care but my new system is actually a 3.8ghz
    P4, not a 2.8.
    Well now, I feel better for clarifying that. Makes all the money I spent on
    it seem worthwhile.

    Al.

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:15:19 +0000, Carl Frisk wrote:

    > More RAM first. Make sure it's matched!

    I agree. More RAM. 256Mb is barely enough for XP let alone running
    anything else as well ;)
    Before you do that, You should think about upgrading the whole rig because
    if you just buy more RAM now, you won't be able to use it later as a
    cpu/motherboard upgrade invariably leads to you needing faster RAM.

    --
    Jafar Calley
    Livewire. The World's biggest VA.

    > Matt B. wrote:
    > > I am considering upgrading from Windows ME to Windows XP. I am
    > > wondering how this will affect my FS2004 experience. Will XP hog so
    > > many more resources that my FPS will drop or have other bad effects?
    > > Any good effects of the upgrade on FS?
    > > My computer has a 1.4GHz Pentium 4, 512MB RDRAM, and a 256MB AGP 4x
    > > nVidia GeForce 5700 VE.
    > >
    > Absolutely anything is better than Windows ME ! I speak from experience
    of
    > all the Windows OSs. You will certainly get a quantum leap better computer
    > all round if you go to Win XP. However, there are two major poiints here.
    > 1. Do not UPGRADE your present OS, but get Win XP installed fresh on a
    newly
    > formatted HD or better still a new machine.
    > 2. Your specs are already too low for getting the best out of FS2004. You
    > truly need at least a 2.8 GHz chip and 1Gb RAM. I kid you not, that is
    what
    > I use and am seriously thinking of upgrading already. I do not know about
    > your video card, but others here will advise you. You also have to think
    > seriously about getting ready for the next FS (FS2006?)

    Thanks for all the responses, everyone. My system *is* pretty old and I am
    currently doing some upgrades to, hopefully, tide me over until sometime in
    2006 when I'll get a brand new computer (with XP's successor, I hope). I
    only very recently upgraded to the 512MB RAM (from 256) and the video card
    to the FX5700VE from a GeForce 2 GTS (32MB). My FS2004 has never looked so
    good as it does now! :-)

    If I do buy Windows XP, it would be to install on my current machine. Why
    do you not recommend upgrading a machine to XP, Quilljar? Any tips from a
    bad experience? :-)

Windows XP Video Games