Upgrading to XP Effects on FS?

Last response: in Video Games
February 24, 2005 11:09:18 AM

I am considering upgrading from Windows ME to Windows XP. I am wondering
how this will affect my FS2004 experience. Will XP hog so many more
resources that my FPS will drop or have other bad effects? Any good effects
of the upgrade on FS?

My computer has a 1.4GHz Pentium 4, 512MB RDRAM, and a 256MB AGP 4x nVidia
GeForce 5700 VE.

Thanks for any insight.

More about : upgrading effects

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 4:15:19 PM

More RAM first. Make sure it's matched!

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"Matt B." <sawdust100@charter.net> wrote in message news:zjkTd.4616$ad5.2069@fe02.lga...
>I am considering upgrading from Windows ME to Windows XP. I am wondering
> how this will affect my FS2004 experience. Will XP hog so many more
> resources that my FPS will drop or have other bad effects? Any good effects
> of the upgrade on FS?
>
> My computer has a 1.4GHz Pentium 4, 512MB RDRAM, and a 256MB AGP 4x nVidia
> GeForce 5700 VE.
>
> Thanks for any insight.

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 4:21:47 PM

Matt B. wrote:
> I am considering upgrading from Windows ME to Windows XP. I am
> wondering how this will affect my FS2004 experience. Will XP hog so
> many more resources that my FPS will drop or have other bad effects?
> Any good effects of the upgrade on FS?
>
> My computer has a 1.4GHz Pentium 4, 512MB RDRAM, and a 256MB AGP 4x
> nVidia GeForce 5700 VE.
>
> Thanks for any insight.

Matt,
Absolutely anything is better than Windows ME ! I speak from experience of
all the Windows OSs. You will certainly get a quantum leap better computer
all round if you go to Win XP. However, there are two major poiints here.
1. Do not UPGRADE your present OS, but get Win XP installed fresh on a newly
formatted HD or better still a new machine.
2. Your specs are already too low for getting the best out of FS2004. You
truly need at least a 2.8 GHz chip and 1Gb RAM. I kid you not, that is what
I use and am seriously thinking of upgrading already. I do not know about
your video card, but others here will advise you. You also have to think
seriously about getting ready for the next FS (FS2006?)

Best wishes,

--
Quilly
Website

> Matt B. wrote:
>> I am considering upgrading from Windows ME to Windows XP. I am
>> wondering how this will affect my FS2004 experience. Will XP hog so
>> many more resources that my FPS will drop or have other bad effects?
>> Any good effects of the upgrade on FS?
>>
>> My computer has a 1.4GHz Pentium 4, 512MB RDRAM, and a 256MB AGP 4x
>> nVidia GeForce 5700 VE.
>>
>> Thanks for any insight.
>
> Matt,
> Absolutely anything is better than Windows ME ! I speak from experience
> of all the Windows OSs. You will certainly get a quantum leap better
> computer all round if you go to Win XP. However, there are two major
> poiints here.
> 1. Do not UPGRADE your present OS, but get Win XP installed fresh on a
> newly formatted HD or better still a new machine.
> 2. Your specs are already too low for getting the best out of FS2004. You
> truly need at least a 2.8 GHz chip and 1Gb RAM. I kid you not, that is
> what I use and am seriously thinking of upgrading already. I do not know
> about your video card, but others here will advise you. You also have to
> think seriously about getting ready for the next FS (FS2006?)
>
> Best wishes,
>

> --
> Quilly
> Website
> http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/
> Do not reply personally, false address
Unfortunately Matt, that is spot on advice.
XP will hog more system resources but will use them more efficiently. My
hair greyed prematurely through dealing with ME machines!
Ram will make the biggest difference but upgrading this might be where your
'problems' start in that depending on the type is could be quite costly and
the money could be better spent towards a new system.
I'm typing this on a Dell P4 1.4 with 512 mb ram and XP runs fine in an
office environment so I can confirm that XP would run OK but I suspect FS
would not. Of course the most economic way of acquiring XP is to purchase it
with a machine (making sure the install cd is supplied).

Chris
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 5:06:41 PM

To throw my 2 bits worth in, I run a P4, 2gig, 512 ram, ati radeon 9000
128mb agp graphics card.
XP professional runs very well. FS2004 runs well but, I have addon scenery
to places like Honolulu, LAX, and others and I have had to take them off due
to single digit frame rates. I average 20 fps with scenery nearly maxed out
My new 2.8 gig P4 with 1gig ram is on it's way as we speak so can't wait for
that.
If you can, definately go for a newer system rather than an addon to the old
one.

Good luck.

Al Fraser

"Chris Curtis" <nospam@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Matt B. wrote:
>>> I am considering upgrading from Windows ME to Windows XP. I am
>>> wondering how this will affect my FS2004 experience. Will XP hog so
>>> many more resources that my FPS will drop or have other bad effects?
>>> Any good effects of the upgrade on FS?
>>>
>>> My computer has a 1.4GHz Pentium 4, 512MB RDRAM, and a 256MB AGP 4x
>>> nVidia GeForce 5700 VE.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any insight.
>>
>> Matt,
>> Absolutely anything is better than Windows ME ! I speak from experience
>> of all the Windows OSs. You will certainly get a quantum leap better
>> computer all round if you go to Win XP. However, there are two major
>> poiints here.
>> 1. Do not UPGRADE your present OS, but get Win XP installed fresh on a
>> newly formatted HD or better still a new machine.
>> 2. Your specs are already too low for getting the best out of FS2004.
>> You truly need at least a 2.8 GHz chip and 1Gb RAM. I kid you not, that
>> is what I use and am seriously thinking of upgrading already. I do not
>> know about your video card, but others here will advise you. You also
>> have to think seriously about getting ready for the next FS (FS2006?)
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>

>> --
>> Quilly
>> Website
>> http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/
>> Do not reply personally, false address
> Unfortunately Matt, that is spot on advice.
> XP will hog more system resources but will use them more efficiently. My
> hair greyed prematurely through dealing with ME machines!
> Ram will make the biggest difference but upgrading this might be where
> your 'problems' start in that depending on the type is could be quite
> costly and the money could be better spent towards a new system.
> I'm typing this on a Dell P4 1.4 with 512 mb ram and XP runs fine in an
> office environment so I can confirm that XP would run OK but I suspect FS
> would not. Of course the most economic way of acquiring XP is to purchase
> it with a machine (making sure the install cd is supplied).
>
> Chris

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 5:14:30 PM

Bugger, not that anyone would care but my new system is actually a 3.8ghz
P4, not a 2.8.
Well now, I feel better for clarifying that. Makes all the money I spent on
it seem worthwhile.

Al.

"Al.Fraser" <A-C.Fraser@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> To throw my 2 bits worth in, I run a P4, 2gig, 512 ram, ati radeon 9000
> 128mb agp graphics card.
> XP professional runs very well. FS2004 runs well but, I have addon
> scenery to places like Honolulu, LAX, and others and I have had to take
> them off due to single digit frame rates. I average 20 fps with scenery
> nearly maxed out
> My new 2.8 gig P4 with 1gig ram is on it's way as we speak so can't wait
> for that.
> If you can, definately go for a newer system rather than an addon to the
> old one.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Al Fraser
>
> "Chris Curtis" <nospam@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
>> "Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> Matt,
>>> Absolutely anything is better than Windows ME ! I speak from
>>> experience of all the Windows OSs. You will certainly get a quantum leap
>>> better computer all round if you go to Win XP. However, there are two
>>> major poiints here.
>>> 1. Do not UPGRADE your present OS, but get Win XP installed fresh on a
>>> newly formatted HD or better still a new machine.
>>> 2. Your specs are already too low for getting the best out of FS2004.
>>> You truly need at least a 2.8 GHz chip and 1Gb RAM. I kid you not, that
>>> is what I use and am seriously thinking of upgrading already. I do not
>>> know about your video card, but others here will advise you. You also
>>> have to think seriously about getting ready for the next FS (FS2006?)
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>>

>>> --
>>> Quilly
>>> Website
>>> http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/
>>> Do not reply personally, false address
>> Unfortunately Matt, that is spot on advice.
>> XP will hog more system resources but will use them more efficiently. My
>> hair greyed prematurely through dealing with ME machines!
>> Ram will make the biggest difference but upgrading this might be where
>> your 'problems' start in that depending on the type is could be quite
>> costly and the money could be better spent towards a new system.
>> I'm typing this on a Dell P4 1.4 with 512 mb ram and XP runs fine in an
>> office environment so I can confirm that XP would run OK but I suspect FS
>> would not. Of course the most economic way of acquiring XP is to purchase
>> it with a machine (making sure the install cd is supplied).
>>
>> Chris

February 24, 2005 5:27:26 PM

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:15:19 +0000, Carl Frisk wrote:

> More RAM first. Make sure it's matched!

I agree. More RAM. 256Mb is barely enough for XP let alone running
anything else as well ;)
Before you do that, You should think about upgrading the whole rig because
if you just buy more RAM now, you won't be able to use it later as a
cpu/motherboard upgrade invariably leads to you needing faster RAM.

--
Jafar Calley
Livewire. The World's biggest VA.

> Matt B. wrote:
> > I am considering upgrading from Windows ME to Windows XP. I am
> > wondering how this will affect my FS2004 experience. Will XP hog so
> > many more resources that my FPS will drop or have other bad effects?
> > Any good effects of the upgrade on FS?
> > My computer has a 1.4GHz Pentium 4, 512MB RDRAM, and a 256MB AGP 4x
> > nVidia GeForce 5700 VE.
> >
> Absolutely anything is better than Windows ME ! I speak from experience
of
> all the Windows OSs. You will certainly get a quantum leap better computer
> all round if you go to Win XP. However, there are two major poiints here.
> 1. Do not UPGRADE your present OS, but get Win XP installed fresh on a
newly
> formatted HD or better still a new machine.
> 2. Your specs are already too low for getting the best out of FS2004. You
> truly need at least a 2.8 GHz chip and 1Gb RAM. I kid you not, that is
what
> I use and am seriously thinking of upgrading already. I do not know about
> your video card, but others here will advise you. You also have to think
> seriously about getting ready for the next FS (FS2006?)

Thanks for all the responses, everyone. My system *is* pretty old and I am
currently doing some upgrades to, hopefully, tide me over until sometime in
2006 when I'll get a brand new computer (with XP's successor, I hope). I
only very recently upgraded to the 512MB RAM (from 256) and the video card
to the FX5700VE from a GeForce 2 GTS (32MB). My FS2004 has never looked so
good as it does now! :-)

If I do buy Windows XP, it would be to install on my current machine. Why
do you not recommend upgrading a machine to XP, Quilljar? Any tips from a
bad experience? :-)
!