HP4150 Newbie Needs Help

August 23, 2004 11:46:21 AM

"Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
news:ujRu0F3gEHA.3548@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Do you have a pop3 or imap Inbox in your Pocket PC? When it comes on, does
> it show a connect failed dialog? Perhaps it's trying to check e-mails
every
> "x" minutes. also there's an option on ActiveSync that will try to
> synchronise this Pocket PC to a server every "y" minutes.
>
> Check these two things for a start...

> Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2028
> Handango discount: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/handango_code.asp
>

> "Neville" <neville.briggs@pinewood.co.uk> wrote in message
> > When I turn my HP4150 off it seems to turn itself on for no apparent
> reason,
> > sometimes it just displays the calender, sometimes the bluetooth light
> > starts flashing, I have just upgraded the ROM and disabled the record
and
> > application buttons
> >
> > Is there away to turn it off and keep it off?
> >

> > thanks

Thanks for the reply sorry for the delay, I have checked these....its
actually displaying reminders from the calender, any other ideas?

More about : hp4150 newbie

Anonymous
August 23, 2004 11:46:22 AM

"Neville" <neville.briggs@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the reply sorry for the delay, I have checked these....its
>actually displaying reminders from the calender, any other ideas?

Then you either have to disable reminders systemwide in Start|Settings
or find those calendar appointments and turn of the reminders in those
individually. Your Pocket PC is doing what it is supposed to - waking
up to remind you of appointments you've set.
August 24, 2004 12:34:18 PM

______
> Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Ok thanks for that!

>Your Pocket PC is doing what it is supposed to - waking
> up to remind you of appointments you've set

Well I can't believe that it is working as it should!

1. If I'm leaving the pocket PC for a couple of hours and I want to conserve
the battery then I want it off! totally, I don't want reminders
2. It should have a standby so that it can go into sleep mode and then give
the reminders

..
August 24, 2004 12:34:19 PM

> Well I can't believe that it is working as it should!
>
> 1. If I'm leaving the pocket PC for a couple of hours and I want to
> conserve the battery then I want it off! totally, I don't want reminders

The only way to totally turn off your PPC is to remove the battery, which
in turn also means you will wipe out whatever you synced/installed on it.
You can also look in: Start|Settings|[Tab]System|[Icon]Power
and set your PPC to turn off after X minutes of inactivity. it will still
run the reminders from your calendar, but at least it'll turn itself off
right after the timeout period you set in power settings.

> 2. It should have a standby so that it can go into sleep mode and then
> give the reminders

This is how your PPC already works; It is an Instant-On device. When you
press the power button the system goes into standby, turns off the screen
and the sound and lowers processor speed to conserve power. Internally the
system is still running, the clock is ticking and when the time for your
reminders come, it will wake up and flash/beep/jingle/etc. and this will
happen until either you dismiss the reminder yourself and turn the unit
off or when it turns itself off after the timeout set in Power settings.

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

"Neville" <neville.briggs@pinewood.co.uk> wrote:

>>Your Pocket PC is doing what it is supposed to - waking
>> up to remind you of appointments you've set
>
>Well I can't believe that it is working as it should!
>
>1. If I'm leaving the pocket PC for a couple of hours and I want to conserve
>the battery then I want it off! totally, I don't want reminders

How can it possibly know that? It is like an alarm clock. You set it
for 8am, it goes of at 8am. It doesn't know you woke up at 6 and
decided to go into work early.

>2. It should have a standby so that it can go into sleep mode and then give
>the reminders

Then the reminders wouldn't be for the set times. I've never seen
*any* alarm device that has a "deep sleep" mode that ignores pending
reminders.
August 24, 2004 6:27:12 PM

> "Neville" <neville.briggs@pinewood.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >>Your Pocket PC is doing what it is supposed to - waking
> >> up to remind you of appointments you've set
> >
> >Well I can't believe that it is working as it should!
> >
> >1. If I'm leaving the pocket PC for a couple of hours and I want to
conserve
> >the battery then I want it off! totally, I don't want reminders
>
> How can it possibly know that? It is like an alarm clock. You set it
> for 8am, it goes of at 8am. It doesn't know you woke up at 6 and
> decided to go into work early.

is there a single setting you can toggle to turn off / turn on all events?
if you switch it to silent for example, would that stop the waking up?
August 25, 2004 1:37:12 AM

"Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
<spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message
> "Neville" <neville.briggs@pinewood.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >>Your Pocket PC is doing what it is supposed to - waking
> >> up to remind you of appointments you've set
> >
> >Well I can't believe that it is working as it should!
> >
> >1. If I'm leaving the pocket PC for a couple of hours and I want to
conserve
> >the battery then I want it off! totally, I don't want reminders
>
> How can it possibly know that? It is like an alarm clock. You set it
> for 8am, it goes of at 8am. It doesn't know you woke up at 6 and
> decided to go into work early.
>
> >2. It should have a standby so that it can go into sleep mode and then
give
> >the reminders
>
> Then the reminders wouldn't be for the set times. I've never seen
> *any* alarm device that has a "deep sleep" mode that ignores pending
> reminders.

Well its quite simple really I'll explain it one more time!

1. Standby sleep or what ever mode it wakes up and reminds me about
appointments

2. Off mode it is off, when I choose to turn it back on I then get all the
reminders that are due, hey guess what, just like the way outlook works when
its not running
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 2:37:08 AM

Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices wrote:
> "Neville" <neville.briggs@pinewood.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> Your Pocket PC is doing what it is supposed to - waking
>>> up to remind you of appointments you've set
>>
>> Well I can't believe that it is working as it should!
>>
>> 1. If I'm leaving the pocket PC for a couple of hours and I want to
>> conserve the battery then I want it off! totally, I don't want
>> reminders
>
> How can it possibly know that? It is like an alarm clock. You set it
> for 8am, it goes of at 8am. It doesn't know you woke up at 6 and
> decided to go into work early.
>
>> 2. It should have a standby so that it can go into sleep mode and
>> then give the reminders
>
> Then the reminders wouldn't be for the set times. I've never seen
> *any* alarm device that has a "deep sleep" mode that ignores pending
> reminders.

I am quite happy for my ipaq to wake up for appointments. However it wont
switch off even though the power off settings are correct and there is no
software running in the background. Any idea why?
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 2:37:09 AM

"ZB" <zb@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Then the reminders wouldn't be for the set times. I've never seen
>> *any* alarm device that has a "deep sleep" mode that ignores pending
>> reminders.
>
>I am quite happy for my ipaq to wake up for appointments. However it wont
>switch off even though the power off settings are correct and there is no
>software running in the background. Any idea why?

Sounds like a third party app/driver or card is causing it to not
auto-power off.
August 26, 2004 5:26:23 AM

"Neville" <neville.briggs@btopenworld.com> wrote in

> Well its quite simple really I'll explain it one more time!
>
> 1. Standby sleep or what ever mode it wakes up and reminds me about
> appointments

Press the power button, it will enter Standy and will do exactly
what you describe here.

> 2. Off mode it is off, when I choose to turn it back on I then get all
> the reminders that are due, hey guess what, just like the way outlook
> works when its not running

1. Turn off all notifications, press power button.
2. Pull out the battery.
3. Leave the room
4. Influence with large hammer
5. Buy a laptop and install Outlook

A PDA is an instant-on device, it is always running, it is not designed
to have a power off state that works the same as a desktop/laptop
computer. If this is what you bought the device for, then you have made
a slightly off decision in purchase. Your 4150 is working exactly as
advertised on the box it came in and as described in the manual you can
find on the companion cd, And being angry about it not functioning like
you expect your desktop to function is just a waste of your energy.

$0.02

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/HPWMK3SE/petition.html
9897 Total Signatures on Tuesday, Aug. 24th 2004!
HP 'Windows Mobile 2003 SE Support' Forum:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer...
August 27, 2004 2:31:41 AM

"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Neville" <neville.briggs@btopenworld.com> wrote in
>
> > Well its quite simple really I'll explain it one more time!
> >
> > 1. Standby sleep or what ever mode it wakes up and reminds me about
> > appointments
>
> Press the power button, it will enter Standy and will do exactly
> what you describe here.
>

> > 2. Off mode it is off, when I choose to turn it back on I then get all
> > the reminders that are due, hey guess what, just like the way outlook
> > works when its not running
>
> 1. Turn off all notifications, press power button.
> 2. Pull out the battery.
> 3. Leave the room
> 4. Influence with large hammer
> 5. Buy a laptop and install Outlook
>
> A PDA is an instant-on device, it is always running, it is not designed
> to have a power off state that works the same as a desktop/laptop
> computer. If this is what you bought the device for, then you have made
> a slightly off decision in purchase. Your 4150 is working exactly as
> advertised on the box it came in and as described in the manual you can
> find on the companion cd, And being angry about it not functioning like
> you expect your desktop to function is just a waste of your energy.
>
> $0.02

Ok, you know best!
!