Black monitor upon start - no booting.

Hello,

my PC (Pentium 4, 3.4 GHz, Windows XP) fails upon start. The monitor remains black with
an error message: No analogous signal!
All fans and the DVD open buttons work fine.
Grafic board (NVidia Geforce 6610 XL) and hard disk (Western Digital 250 GB, S-ATA) are
OK. Also the power supply is OK.
What else could cause the problem besides of a bad processor and /or bad mainboard?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Herb H.
9 answers Last reply
More about black monitor start booting

    > my PC (Pentium 4, 3.4 GHz, Windows XP) fails upon start. The monitor
    > remains black with
    > an error message: No analogous signal!
    > All fans and the DVD open buttons work fine.
    > Grafic board (NVidia Geforce 6610 XL) and hard disk (Western Digital 250
    > GB, S-ATA) are
    > OK. Also the power supply is OK.
    > What else could cause the problem besides of a bad processor and /or bad
    > mainboard?

    How do you know that the graphics card is good? Did you try it
    in a different system? Did you try your monitor on a different
    system?

    ---
    Kevin Chalker, Owner (KC COMPUTERS)
    E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
    Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

    "H. Henkler" <1122-217@online.de> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > my PC (Pentium 4, 3.4 GHz, Windows XP) fails upon start. The monitor
    > remains black with
    > an error message: No analogous signal!
    > All fans and the DVD open buttons work fine.
    > Grafic board (NVidia Geforce 6610 XL) and hard disk (Western Digital 250
    > GB, S-ATA) are
    > OK. Also the power supply is OK.
    > What else could cause the problem besides of a bad processor and /or bad
    > mainboard?
    >
    > Any help appreciated. Thanks.
    > Herb H.

    Can also be bad RAM.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    A faulty dial up modem

    H. Henkler wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >my PC (Pentium 4, 3.4 GHz, Windows XP) fails upon start. The monitor remains black with
    >an error message: No analogous signal!
    >All fans and the DVD open buttons work fine.
    >Grafic board (NVidia Geforce 6610 XL) and hard disk (Western Digital 250 GB, S-ATA) are
    >OK. Also the power supply is OK.
    >What else could cause the problem besides of a bad processor and /or bad mainboard?
    >
    >Any help appreciated. Thanks.
    > Herb H.

    A screw loose somewhere, take everything apart & start all over.

    H. Henkler writes:

    > my PC (Pentium 4, 3.4 GHz, Windows XP) fails upon start. The monitor remains black with
    > an error message: No analogous signal!
    > All fans and the DVD open buttons work fine.
    > Grafic board (NVidia Geforce 6610 XL) and hard disk (Western Digital 250 GB, S-ATA) are
    > OK. Also the power supply is OK.
    > What else could cause the problem besides of a bad processor and /or bad mainboard?
    >
    > Any help appreciated. Thanks.
    > Herb H.

    Make sure the cable between the card and monitor is connected
    correctly. I spent several hours once trying to hunt down a problem
    only to discover that I had the wrong video cable connected to the PC
    (there were several monitors on the table).

    H. Henkler wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > my PC (Pentium 4, 3.4 GHz, Windows XP) fails upon start. The monitor remains black with
    > an error message: No analogous signal!
    > All fans and the DVD open buttons work fine.
    > Grafic board (NVidia Geforce 6610 XL) and hard disk (Western Digital 250 GB, S-ATA) are
    > OK. Also the power supply is OK.
    > What else could cause the problem besides of a bad processor and /or bad mainboard?
    >
    > Any help appreciated. Thanks.
    > Herb H.

    Remove all PCI cards, disconnect all devices except video and keyboard.
    If video starts with all disconnected, one of your devices or cards is
    shorted out.

    If still no go, pop out memory module, then reseat.

    Good luck.

    Bill

    KC Computers schrieb:

    > > my PC (Pentium 4, 3.4 GHz, Windows XP) fails upon start. The monitor
    > > remains black with
    > > an error message: No analogous signal!
    > > All fans and the DVD open buttons work fine.
    > > Grafic board (NVidia Geforce 6610 XL) and hard disk (Western Digital 250
    > > GB, S-ATA) are
    > > OK. Also the power supply is OK.
    > > What else could cause the problem besides of a bad processor and /or bad
    > > mainboard?
    >
    > How do you know that the graphics card is good? Did you try it
    > in a different system? Did you try your monitor on a different
    > system?

    I replaced the graphics card of an identical PC system with by own one: Both cards
    worked OK.
    The monitor is OK. It is being used now with my "old" PC.
    Herb

    > Make sure the cable between the card and monitor is connected
    > correctly. I spent several hours once trying to hunt down a problem
    > only to discover that I had the wrong video cable connected to the PC
    > (there were several monitors on the table).
    >
    > --
    > Transpose mxsmanic and gmail to reach me by e-mail.

    Thanks, but monitor cable and connectors are correct.
    Herb

    > A screw loose somewhere, take everything apart & start all over.

    Good idea, but I did so over and over again. To no avail.
    Herb

Homebuilt Monitors Systems