Black monitor upon start - no booting.

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
August 23, 2005 1:38:59 AM

Hello,

my PC (Pentium 4, 3.4 GHz, Windows XP) fails upon start. The monitor remains black with
an error message: No analogous signal!
All fans and the DVD open buttons work fine.
Grafic board (NVidia Geforce 6610 XL) and hard disk (Western Digital 250 GB, S-ATA) are
OK. Also the power supply is OK.
What else could cause the problem besides of a bad processor and /or bad mainboard?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Herb H.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
August 23, 2005 1:39:00 AM

> my PC (Pentium 4, 3.4 GHz, Windows XP) fails upon start. The monitor
> remains black with
> an error message: No analogous signal!
> All fans and the DVD open buttons work fine.
> Grafic board (NVidia Geforce 6610 XL) and hard disk (Western Digital 250
> GB, S-ATA) are
> OK. Also the power supply is OK.
> What else could cause the problem besides of a bad processor and /or bad
> mainboard?

How do you know that the graphics card is good? Did you try it
in a different system? Did you try your monitor on a different
system?

---
Kevin Chalker, Owner (KC COMPUTERS)
E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
August 23, 2005 1:39:00 AM

"H. Henkler" <1122-217@online.de> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> my PC (Pentium 4, 3.4 GHz, Windows XP) fails upon start. The monitor
> remains black with
> an error message: No analogous signal!
> All fans and the DVD open buttons work fine.
> Grafic board (NVidia Geforce 6610 XL) and hard disk (Western Digital 250
> GB, S-ATA) are
> OK. Also the power supply is OK.
> What else could cause the problem besides of a bad processor and /or bad
> mainboard?
>
> Any help appreciated. Thanks.
> Herb H.

Can also be bad RAM.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

A faulty dial up modem

"H. Henkler" <1122-217@online.de> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> my PC (Pentium 4, 3.4 GHz, Windows XP) fails upon start. The monitor
remains black with
> an error message: No analogous signal!
> All fans and the DVD open buttons work fine.
> Grafic board (NVidia Geforce 6610 XL) and hard disk (Western Digital 250
GB, S-ATA) are
> OK. Also the power supply is OK.
> What else could cause the problem besides of a bad processor and /or bad
mainboard?

> Any help appreciated. Thanks.
> Herb H.

August 23, 2005 1:39:00 AM

H. Henkler wrote:

>Hello,
>
>my PC (Pentium 4, 3.4 GHz, Windows XP) fails upon start. The monitor remains black with
>an error message: No analogous signal!
>All fans and the DVD open buttons work fine.
>Grafic board (NVidia Geforce 6610 XL) and hard disk (Western Digital 250 GB, S-ATA) are
>OK. Also the power supply is OK.
>What else could cause the problem besides of a bad processor and /or bad mainboard?
>
>Any help appreciated. Thanks.
> Herb H.

A screw loose somewhere, take everything apart & start all over.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
August 23, 2005 3:25:58 AM

H. Henkler writes:

> my PC (Pentium 4, 3.4 GHz, Windows XP) fails upon start. The monitor remains black with
> an error message: No analogous signal!
> All fans and the DVD open buttons work fine.
> Grafic board (NVidia Geforce 6610 XL) and hard disk (Western Digital 250 GB, S-ATA) are
> OK. Also the power supply is OK.
> What else could cause the problem besides of a bad processor and /or bad mainboard?
>
> Any help appreciated. Thanks.
> Herb H.

Make sure the cable between the card and monitor is connected
correctly. I spent several hours once trying to hunt down a problem
only to discover that I had the wrong video cable connected to the PC
(there were several monitors on the table).

a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
August 23, 2005 8:35:02 AM

H. Henkler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> my PC (Pentium 4, 3.4 GHz, Windows XP) fails upon start. The monitor remains black with
> an error message: No analogous signal!
> All fans and the DVD open buttons work fine.
> Grafic board (NVidia Geforce 6610 XL) and hard disk (Western Digital 250 GB, S-ATA) are
> OK. Also the power supply is OK.
> What else could cause the problem besides of a bad processor and /or bad mainboard?
>
> Any help appreciated. Thanks.
> Herb H.

Remove all PCI cards, disconnect all devices except video and keyboard.
If video starts with all disconnected, one of your devices or cards is
shorted out.

If still no go, pop out memory module, then reseat.

Good luck.

Bill
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
August 23, 2005 12:48:27 PM

KC Computers schrieb:

> > my PC (Pentium 4, 3.4 GHz, Windows XP) fails upon start. The monitor
> > remains black with
> > an error message: No analogous signal!
> > All fans and the DVD open buttons work fine.
> > Grafic board (NVidia Geforce 6610 XL) and hard disk (Western Digital 250
> > GB, S-ATA) are
> > OK. Also the power supply is OK.
> > What else could cause the problem besides of a bad processor and /or bad
> > mainboard?
>
> How do you know that the graphics card is good? Did you try it
> in a different system? Did you try your monitor on a different
> system?

I replaced the graphics card of an identical PC system with by own one: Both cards
worked OK.
The monitor is OK. It is being used now with my "old" PC.
Herb
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
August 23, 2005 12:51:02 PM

> Make sure the cable between the card and monitor is connected
> correctly. I spent several hours once trying to hunt down a problem
> only to discover that I had the wrong video cable connected to the PC
> (there were several monitors on the table).
>
> --
> Transpose mxsmanic and gmail to reach me by e-mail.

Thanks, but monitor cable and connectors are correct.
Herb
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
August 23, 2005 12:52:09 PM

> A screw loose somewhere, take everything apart & start all over.

Good idea, but I did so over and over again. To no avail.
Herb
!