NT Server 4 multihomed PDC

Hello everyone,

I'm very new to networking and to NT, so please bear with me.

I am trying to construct an NT4 domain, with the NT4 machine as the PDC.
It is multihomed; one network card connects to a network that has
internet access (it is a private network, 192.168.1.0 is it's network
address), while the other connects to a hub which has a few nodes
attached. Its network address is 10.0.0.0. They are, obviously, on two
separate subnets. The problem is that the PDC can access the internet
quite well, but those nodes attached to the hub can not. They can,
however, resolve internet hostnames when I attempt to ping them; but the
ping isn't successful. I'm fairly certain that the networking scheme is
correct; the exterior network card (on the 192.168.1.0 network) has for
its gateway the network server; the interior network card (on the
10.0.0.0 network) has the exterior card as its gateway. The PDC also
acts as a DHCP server for the 10.0.0.0 network (its scope being
10.0.0.1-10.0.0.253). From these attached nodes, I can ping any node
within both networks successfully, but they can't access the internet.
Could someone please shed some light on this for me? I've read many
accounts on the internet that stress that such a configuration leads to
many problems and oddities; but being quite the novice, I am having a
hard time understanding such matters.

Experience is proving the best teacher, however. ;)

Make sure you sure only 1 default gateway is configured and
you should be fine. If the NT machine is going to route the
clients on the hub to the internet then make sure RIP is enabled
on the PDC.

Michael Giorgio - MS MVP wrote:
> Make sure you sure only 1 default gateway is configured and
> you should be fine. If the NT machine is going to route the
> clients on the hub to the internet then make sure RIP is enabled
> on the PDC.

Michael,

Yes, I've installed RIP when I first installed NT Server 4.

With respect to having only one default gateway, this aspect confuses
me. As I have it configured now, the gateway of all nodes connected to
the hub is the internal NIC (10.0.0.254). The gateway of this is the
external server (192.168.1.79), and the gateway of this is the network
server (192.168.1.254). If I am to have one gateway, which one is it?
Is it to be the gatway for the nodes as well as the internal NIC? Sorry
if this is an obvious question.

Thanks again.

> "Yogensha" <noemail@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:
>

>>I'm very new to networking and to NT, so please bear with me.
>>
>>I am trying to construct an NT4 domain, with the NT4 machine as the
>
> PDC.
>
>> It is multihomed; one network card connects to a network that has
>>internet access (it is a private network, 192.168.1.0 is it's network
>>address), while the other connects to a hub which has a few nodes
>>attached. Its network address is 10.0.0.0. They are, obviously, on
>
> two
>
>>separate subnets. The problem is that the PDC can access the internet
>>quite well, but those nodes attached to the hub can not. They can,
>>however, resolve internet hostnames when I attempt to ping them; but
>
> the
>
>>ping isn't successful. I'm fairly certain that the networking scheme
>
> is
>
>>correct; the exterior network card (on the 192.168.1.0 network) has
>
> for
>
>>its gateway the network server; the interior network card (on the
>>10.0.0.0 network) has the exterior card as its gateway. The PDC also
>>acts as a DHCP server for the 10.0.0.0 network (its scope being
>>10.0.0.1-10.0.0.253). From these attached nodes, I can ping any node
>>within both networks successfully, but they can't access the internet.
>>Could someone please shed some light on this for me? I've read many
>>accounts on the internet that stress that such a configuration leads

>>many problems and oddities; but being quite the novice, I am having a
>>hard time understanding such matters.
>>
>>Experience is proving the best teacher, however. ;)

How to Configure a Default Gateway for Multihomed Computer with LAN and
Internet Access
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;262397