NT 4.0 DC to regular server?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
February 10, 2005 4:48:58 PM

I know this isn't officially supported but was wondering if there was a
simple "unofficial" mechanism to do the same thing. I'd basically like to
upgrade the server to 2000 or 2003 after doing this but don't want to have
to reinstall everything.

rb

More about : regular server

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 4:48:59 PM

Google: U-promote.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"R Baker" <nospamx@nospamx.com> wrote in message
>I know this isn't officially supported but was wondering if there was a
> simple "unofficial" mechanism to do the same thing. I'd basically like to
> upgrade the server to 2000 or 2003 after doing this but don't want to have
> to reinstall everything.
>
> rb

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 8:54:17 PM

If you want to upgrade to W2k then do it and after your windows install part
is done it will ask you if you want to retain DC role on this server or make
it a member server. Simply choose to make it member server and the DC role
will be taken away.

If you want to take DC role off first - there is no official supported way
for this and U-promote would be your only option.

Pavlo

!