Repairing a corrupt SAM Database

Does anyone know how to repair a corrupt SAM database on a NT 4.0 PDC, there
is no BDC; receiving alot of Netlogon errors about authentication.

Thanks in advance
6 answers Last reply
More about repairing corrupt database

    Post the exact event ids and descriptions so we can
    isolate the corruption.

    "Margo" <margo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > Does anyone know how to repair a corrupt SAM database on a NT 4.0 PDC,
    there
    > is no BDC; receiving alot of Netlogon errors about authentication.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Event ID: 5723
    The session setup from the computerJGibbons failed because there is no trust
    account in the security database for this computer. The name of the account
    referenced in sec. db is Jgibbons$

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

    > Post the exact event ids and descriptions so we can
    > isolate the corruption.
    >
    > "Margo" <margo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > > Does anyone know how to repair a corrupt SAM database on a NT 4.0 PDC,
    > there
    > > is no BDC; receiving alot of Netlogon errors about authentication.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    This error is quite common when downlevel NT clients SP3 or
    less attempt to logon to an SP4 or higher DC. Also when an XP
    client attempts to join the domain with an encrypted secure channel
    which isn't supported in NT. You have to open the local security
    policy on the XP machine and disable the member secure channel
    encryption policy.

    If neither of those fit your description then I would make an attempt
    to restore the secure channel using netdom.exe or nltest.exe:

    Description of Netdom.exe Syntax and Versions
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329721

    "Margo" <margo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > Event ID: 5723
    > The session setup from the computerJGibbons failed because there is no
    trust
    > account in the security database for this computer. The name of the
    account
    > referenced in sec. db is Jgibbons$
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Will this also apply if I am unable to manage the computers from server
    manager, even though I do not receive this error message?

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

    > This error is quite common when downlevel NT clients SP3 or
    > less attempt to logon to an SP4 or higher DC. Also when an XP
    > client attempts to join the domain with an encrypted secure channel
    > which isn't supported in NT. You have to open the local security
    > policy on the XP machine and disable the member secure channel
    > encryption policy.
    >
    > If neither of those fit your description then I would make an attempt
    > to restore the secure channel using netdom.exe or nltest.exe:
    >
    > Description of Netdom.exe Syntax and Versions
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329721
    >
    > "Margo" <margo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > > Event ID: 5723
    > > The session setup from the computerJGibbons failed because there is no
    > trust
    > > account in the security database for this computer. The name of the
    > account
    > > referenced in sec. db is Jgibbons$

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Will this also apply if I am unable to manage the machines from server manager

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

    > This error is quite common when downlevel NT clients SP3 or
    > less attempt to logon to an SP4 or higher DC. Also when an XP
    > client attempts to join the domain with an encrypted secure channel
    > which isn't supported in NT. You have to open the local security
    > policy on the XP machine and disable the member secure channel
    > encryption policy.
    >
    > If neither of those fit your description then I would make an attempt
    > to restore the secure channel using netdom.exe or nltest.exe:
    >
    > Description of Netdom.exe Syntax and Versions
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329721
    >
    > "Margo" <margo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > > Event ID: 5723
    > > The session setup from the computerJGibbons failed because there is no
    > trust
    > > account in the security database for this computer. The name of the
    > account
    > > referenced in sec. db is Jgibbons$

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Depends on the error you receive when you attempt
    to manage the computers and whether or not the
    machines are member servers, DCs or standalone?
    "Ken Miller" <Ken Miller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > Will this also apply if I am unable to manage the computers from server
    > manager, even though I do not receive this error message?

Authentication Microsoft Database Windows