Wifi problem caused by graphics card?

zaarin_2003

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Hi,

I recently purchased a Sapphire 6850 Toxic to replace my Sapphire 4850 and, without checking the power supply requirements like a fool, unfortunately appear to have purchased something too powerful for my 450w powersupply. The Sapphire website confirms that 500w is required.

Anyway, before I realised this I installed the card. Upon reboot, Windows (7 x64 edition) ran very slowly. I installed the updated drivers ok, but after restarting, I experienced crashes and Windows would revert to the boring looking plain colourscheme. Also, AVG Antivirus 2011 suddenly had a problem with the Firewall. It was 'stopped' and restarting it resulted in an error message. Reinstalling AVG did not solve the issue. After the PC failed to load Windows (it appeared that the PC had lost the HD, no doubt due to it not receiving enough power), I decided to replace the card with my original 4850. Uninstalled the new drivers completely (using CCleaner to remove the last traces) and reinstalled the 4850 drivers from the ATI website.

The strange thing is, that although I no longer receive crashes, and the computer runs 'fine'... sort of... there are still issues.

The colour scheme problem remains. It loads up in the drab Windows Basic colour, only changing to the normal transparent one after about 10 minutes. In addition, a new problem has arisen. My Wifi connection is off when I start the computer and I need to run the network troubleshooter to fix it. Fix it it does, but it is still annoying, reporting that the Windows Wireless Connection was off. Also, AVG seems worse than ever. Now most of its databases and protections and such are disabled and won't turn on. Otherwise the computer runs fine.

Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe one of the crashes when I was trying to run Windows with the new card corrupted some files? I did need to run the Start Up diagnostic program one time, which took an hour. Are there any programs to check system files?

Thanks very much!

Matt Franks

rebelwith

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
best way to start would be to re-install windows and take it from there. Then you can determine if it is a hardware of you just messed up the software.