Greyed out computer in Server Manager

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have added a computer to my NT4 PDC Server and everything seems to work
fine (i.e. logins, mappings, profiles). But, I notice the the computer is
greyed out in "Server Manager". and I can't see the computer in "Network
Neighborhood. Does anyone know what might be happening?

Danny

Any number of things could be happening. 1) The computer is
set to hide itself by not registering with a local SMB (segment
master browser). Open a dos prompt and run net config server
and verify the hidden field says no. 2) The computer is an XP
machine running SP2 with the personal firewall feature turned
on or its running an anti-virus app with a software firewall. 3)
The computer is registering with another SMB or is attempting
to become the SMB itself and maintaining the browse list.

"Danny" <dannyrobinson@canada.com> wrote in message news:
> I have added a computer to my NT4 PDC Server and everything seems to
work
> fine (i.e. logins, mappings, profiles). But, I notice the the computer
is
> greyed out in "Server Manager". and I can't see the computer in
"Network
> Neighborhood. Does anyone know what might be happening?

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Michael
Thanks for the reply

I ran "net config server" and the hidden field said "no".

Anyway I found out the problem...it was reinstalling SP6a. When I installed
my NT4 OS I installed the SP before installing the "Network" and I just this
is a no no.

Danny

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
message news:%23RWzJyQFFHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Any number of things could be happening. 1) The computer is
> set to hide itself by not registering with a local SMB (segment
> master browser). Open a dos prompt and run net config server
> and verify the hidden field says no. 2) The computer is an XP
> machine running SP2 with the personal firewall feature turned
> on or its running an anti-virus app with a software firewall. 3)
> The computer is registering with another SMB or is attempting
> to become the SMB itself and maintaining the browse list.
>
> "Danny" <dannyrobinson@canada.com> wrote in message news:
>> I have added a computer to my NT4 PDC Server and everything seems to
> work
>> fine (i.e. logins, mappings, profiles). But, I notice the the computer
> is
>> greyed out in "Server Manager". and I can't see the computer in
> "Network
>> Neighborhood. Does anyone know what might be happening?

Glad to hear you resolved your issue.. Thank you
for the update..

"Danny" <dannyrobinson@canada.com> wrote in message news:.

> Thanks for the reply
>
> I ran "net config server" and the hidden field said "no".
>
> Anyway I found out the problem...it was reinstalling SP6a. When I
installed
> my NT4 OS I installed the SP before installing the "Network" and I
just this
> is a no no.

Hi,

You mean you fixed it after reinstall SP6a?