Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
August 26, 2005 1:57:07 AM

I have a prescott 2.8ghz 512m fsb 800. My optimax mb says it is a 1.4
14x100.

Why does it get it wrong I have had this cpu in another machine and it
definitely a 2.8

Thanks

Jon

More about : wrong speed cpu

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
August 26, 2005 1:57:08 AM

A 2.8 GHz CPU for an 800 MHz FSB runs at 14X200. (The 200 MHz bus is quad
pumped, hence 800 MHZ.)

Your mainboard appears to be defaulting to 100 MHz rather than 200. If it
supports 800 MHz CPUs (and has been updated for the Prescott), you may need
to set the bus frequency manually in the BIOS settings.

"Jon Smith" <usenet123@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I have a prescott 2.8ghz 512m fsb 800. My optimax mb says it is a 1.4
> 14x100.
>
> Why does it get it wrong I have had this cpu in another machine and it
> definitely a 2.8
>
> Thanks
>
> Jon

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
August 26, 2005 1:57:08 AM

Hi,

Most often you need to flash/update the BIOS so that it will recognise the
chip/processor. But before you do that, make sure that specific model of
optimax MB supports that specific chip. Check their website.

Good Luck

Andor

"Jon Smith" <usenet123@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I have a prescott 2.8ghz 512m fsb 800. My optimax mb says it is a 1.4
> 14x100.
>
> Why does it get it wrong I have had this cpu in another machine and it
> definitely a 2.8
>
> Thanks
>
> Jon

a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
August 27, 2005 11:05:31 AM

using correct speed ram helps also if you're using different ram aswell
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
August 27, 2005 3:21:47 PM

was meant to be replying to the first post (the problem)
Bob M wrote:
> BlastUK wrote:
> > using correct speed ram helps also if you're using different ram aswell
> >
> Who or what are you responding to? All we see is your reply. It
> really helps to include the message you are replying to.
>
> Bob
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs