How: install XP on top of itself?

Running Win XP Pro & it has 1 or more corrupt files. How do I
re-install the OS on top of itself--without formatting-- and not lose data
files? Thanks, s

sdlomi2 wrote:
> Running Win XP Pro & it has 1 or more corrupt files. How do I
> re-install the OS on top of itself--without formatting-- and not lose data
> files? Thanks, s

Insert your Windows XP installation cd. Restart your computer; make
sure your computer is set up to boot from the cd first. Choose to
install Windows. Choose repair installation.

<djs0302@aol.com> wrote in message

> sdlomi2 wrote:
>> Running Win XP Pro & it has 1 or more corrupt files. How do I
>> re-install the OS on top of itself--without formatting-- and not lose
>> data
>> files? Thanks, s
>
> Insert your Windows XP installation cd. Restart your computer; make
> sure your computer is set up to boot from the cd first. Choose to
> install Windows. Choose repair installation.

Thank you for the help. s

"Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote in message

> "sdlomi2" <sdlomi2@yahoo.net> wrote in message
>> Running Win XP Pro & it has 1 or more corrupt files. How do I
>> re-install the OS on top of itself--without formatting-- and not lose
>> data files? Thanks, s
>>\
Looks excellent. Thanks. s

Boot from the XP install CD. Let Setup run to the point where it asks you
if you want to Install XP of Repair it. Select INSTALL. The CD will
install some files, then will ask you if you want to do a new Install or a
Repair of an existing copy. NOW Select Repair. Follow the instructions.

--
DaveW

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:03:06 -0400, "sdlomi2" <sdlomi2@yahoo.net>
wrote:

> Thank you for the help. s

After you do that you will need to get all the Windows updates and
service packs again.

Praxiteles Democritus wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:03:06 -0400, "sdlomi2" <sdlomi2@yahoo.net>
> wrote:
>

>> Thank you for the help. s
>>

> After you do that you will need to get all the Windows updates and
> service packs again.

Yes. And I'd suggest first downloading the 'full' service pack 2 (IT
version with all files) so you don't have to depend on the system working
to get updates because a 'reinstall' will usually result in a myriad of
things complaining about needing to be reinstalled as they expect the now
missing service pack files to be there.

David Maynard wrote:
> Praxiteles Democritus wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:03:06 -0400, "sdlomi2" <sdlomi2@yahoo.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Thank you for the help. s
>>

>> After you do that you will need to get all the Windows updates and
>> service packs again.
>

> Yes. And I'd suggest first downloading the 'full' service pack 2 (IT
> version with all files) so you don't have to depend on the system
> working to get updates because a 'reinstall' will usually result in a
> myriad of things complaining about needing to be reinstalled as they
> expect the now missing service pack files to be there.

Slipstream that SP2 into a new install cd...makes things easier for the
future, too.

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

spodosaurus wrote:

> David Maynard wrote:
>
>> Praxiteles Democritus wrote:

>>> After you do that you will need to get all the Windows updates and
>>> service packs again.
>>

>> Yes. And I'd suggest first downloading the 'full' service pack 2 (IT
>> version with all files) so you don't have to depend on the system
>> working to get updates because a 'reinstall' will usually result in a
>> myriad of things complaining about needing to be reinstalled as they
>> expect the now missing service pack files to be there.
>>

> Slipstream that SP2 into a new install cd...makes things easier for the
> future, too.
>
> Ari

You could but it's only 'easier' if the person knows how to slipstream a CD
and, IMO, for the average person it's easier to just keep a copy of SP2 for
the rare times it's needed.

anna

(All responding to a query re re:installing Windows XP)...

"David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
> You could but it's only 'easier' if the person knows how to slipstream a
> CD and, IMO, for the average person it's easier to just keep a copy of SP2
> for the rare times it's needed.

David, et al:
Don't know if you're familiar with the (freebie) AutoStreamer program. It's
designed to create slipstreamed versions of XP, i.e., XP including SP1
and/or SP2. It's become enormously popular as the program of choice for many
users to create slipstreamed copies of XP, and rightly so, because of its
simplicity & effectiveness in doing so. I believe the latest version is
1.0.33. Take a look at it at:
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=223562
Anna

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 10:45:02 -0400, "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote:

>David, et al:
>Don't know if you're familiar with the (freebie) AutoStreamer program. It's
>designed to create slipstreamed versions of XP, i.e., XP including SP1
>and/or SP2. It's become enormously popular as the program of choice for many
>users to create slipstreamed copies of XP, and rightly so, because of its
>simplicity & effectiveness in doing so. I believe the latest version is
>1.0.33. Take a look at it at:
>http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=223562
>Anna

Thanks for the link - looks very handy to have.

Anna wrote:

> (All responding to a query re re:installing Windows XP)...

> Ari wrote:
>
>>>Slipstream that SP2 into a new install cd...makes things easier for the
>>>future, too.
>>>Ari
>

> "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
>
>>You could but it's only 'easier' if the person knows how to slipstream a
>>CD and, IMO, for the average person it's easier to just keep a copy of SP2
>>for the rare times it's needed.
>

> David, et al:
> Don't know if you're familiar with the (freebie) AutoStreamer program. It's
> designed to create slipstreamed versions of XP, i.e., XP including SP1
> and/or SP2. It's become enormously popular as the program of choice for many
> users to create slipstreamed copies of XP, and rightly so, because of its
> simplicity & effectiveness in doing so. I believe the latest version is
> 1.0.33. Take a look at it at:
> http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=223562
> Anna

Nice program.

> Anna wrote:
>
>> (All responding to a query re re:installing Windows XP)...

>> "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>You could but it's only 'easier' if the person knows how to slipstream a
>>>CD and, IMO, for the average person it's easier to just keep a copy of
>>>SP2 for the rare times it's needed.
>>

>> David, et al:
>> Don't know if you're familiar with the (freebie) AutoStreamer program.
>> It's designed to create slipstreamed versions of XP, i.e., XP including
>> SP1 and/or SP2. It's become enormously popular as the program of choice
>> for many users to create slipstreamed copies of XP, and rightly so,
>> because of its simplicity & effectiveness in doing so. I believe the
>> latest version is 1.0.33. Take a look at it at:
>> http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=223562
>> Anna
>>

> Nice program.

One thing to remember about slipstreaming SP2 is that there will no longer
be an uninstall for SP2 in the "Add, Remove program area. If you have an XP
version, either original or SP1, you will need to uninstall SP2 before an
in-place repair install or it will just tell you that the version on your
system is newer than the version you are installing and refuse to go
further. If you slipstream XP, make damn sure you have a good copy before
you begin or you will end up in a DaveW situation.....(format and
reinstall)......:)

Ed

Ed Medlin wrote:

> "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
>
>>Anna wrote:
>>

>>>(All responding to a query re re:installing Windows XP)...

>>>"David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message

>>>David, et al:
>>>Don't know if you're familiar with the (freebie) AutoStreamer program.
>>>It's designed to create slipstreamed versions of XP, i.e., XP including
>>>SP1 and/or SP2. It's become enormously popular as the program of choice
>>>for many users to create slipstreamed copies of XP, and rightly so,
>>>because of its simplicity & effectiveness in doing so. I believe the
>>>latest version is 1.0.33. Take a look at it at:
>>>http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=223562
>>>Anna
>>>

>>Nice program.
>

> One thing to remember about slipstreaming SP2 is that there will no longer
> be an uninstall for SP2 in the "Add, Remove program area. If you have an XP
> version, either original or SP1, you will need to uninstall SP2 before an
> in-place repair install or it will just tell you that the version on your
> system is newer than the version you are installing and refuse to go
> further.

This is something I haven't run into yet. Are you saying a slipstreamed SP2
won't repair install itself or that you can't 'fix' it with the pre SP2
copy you'd likely have?

> If you slipstream XP, make damn sure you have a good copy before
> you begin

That's one reason why I still say that simply keeping a full copy of SP2 on
a backup CD is 'easier' than making a slipstreamed XP CD.

> or you will end up in a DaveW situation.....(format and
> reinstall)......:)

DaveW's 'universal solution' to all ailments: start over.

> Ed Medlin wrote:
>
>> "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message

>>>Nice program.
>>

>> One thing to remember about slipstreaming SP2 is that there will no
>> longer be an uninstall for SP2 in the "Add, Remove program area. If you
>> have an XP version, either original or SP1, you will need to uninstall
>> SP2 before an in-place repair install or it will just tell you that the
>> version on your system is newer than the version you are installing and
>> refuse to go further.
>
> This is something I haven't run into yet. Are you saying a slipstreamed
> SP2 won't repair install itself or that you can't 'fix' it with the pre
> SP2 copy you'd likely have?

The latter. You can never uninstall SP2, so the pre SP2 disk will never work
for repairing.

>> If you slipstream XP, make damn sure you have a good copy before you
>> begin
>
> That's one reason why I still say that simply keeping a full copy of SP2
> on a backup CD is 'easier' than making a slipstreamed XP CD.

That is what I do. I have a slipstreamed copy, but used it one time a couple
years ago (whenever SP2 came out.....forget) and just decided it was not
that difficult or time consuming to just uninstall and reinstall SP2.

>> or you will end up in a DaveW situation.....(format and
>> reinstall)......:)
>
> DaveW's 'universal solution' to all ailments: start over.

Yep. There are few situations that an in-place repair will not work. I am on
my 3rd MB and processor replacement right now without having to do a
complete reinstall.... I like easy......:)

Ed

Ed Medlin wrote:

> "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
>
>>Ed Medlin wrote:
>>

>>>"David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message

>>>One thing to remember about slipstreaming SP2 is that there will no
>>>longer be an uninstall for SP2 in the "Add, Remove program area. If you
>>>have an XP version, either original or SP1, you will need to uninstall
>>>SP2 before an in-place repair install or it will just tell you that the
>>>version on your system is newer than the version you are installing and
>>>refuse to go further.
>>
>>This is something I haven't run into yet. Are you saying a slipstreamed
>>SP2 won't repair install itself or that you can't 'fix' it with the pre
>>SP2 copy you'd likely have?
>

> The latter. You can never uninstall SP2, so the pre SP2 disk will never work
> for repairing.

OK. That's what I would expect.

>>>If you slipstream XP, make damn sure you have a good copy before you
>>>begin
>>
>>That's one reason why I still say that simply keeping a full copy of SP2
>>on a backup CD is 'easier' than making a slipstreamed XP CD.
>

> That is what I do. I have a slipstreamed copy, but used it one time a couple
> years ago (whenever SP2 came out.....forget) and just decided it was not
> that difficult or time consuming to just uninstall and reinstall SP2.
>

>>>or you will end up in a DaveW situation.....(format and
>>>reinstall)......:)
>>
>>DaveW's 'universal solution' to all ailments: start over.
>

> Yep. There are few situations that an in-place repair will not work. I am on
> my 3rd MB and processor replacement right now without having to do a
> complete reinstall.... I like easy......:)

How did you ever manage to avoid those "nasty ongoing registry errors ;)"

Btw, me too (multiple changes with perfectly fine repair reinstalls).