My computer doesn't like non-OEM drives?

Hello,

I have an odd issue with two older Gateway PCs that I received
from work. I tried adding a CD-RW drive to both systems, and when
you power them on, the light on the CD-RW will stay solid, and the
tray will not eject. I tried variations of jumper settings, cables
etc but nothing seems to make a difference. So I tried installing a
DVD drive and a 44x generic drive, and they all do the same thing.
Could I be overloading the p/s maybe? The problem occurs even if I
disconnect the ide cable and leave only the power connected. The
systems in question are a Gateway Essential 450mhz and a Gateway
(3200?) 733mhz.

TIA
11 answers Last reply
More about computer doesn drives

    sounds like the data cable is on backwards
    check the bios and make sure the ide is enabled
    then check to see if they are recognized in the device manager
    "tooslow" <neonrh@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have an odd issue with two older Gateway PCs that I received
    > from work. I tried adding a CD-RW drive to both systems, and when
    > you power them on, the light on the CD-RW will stay solid, and the
    > tray will not eject. I tried variations of jumper settings, cables
    > etc but nothing seems to make a difference. So I tried installing a
    > DVD drive and a 44x generic drive, and they all do the same thing.
    > Could I be overloading the p/s maybe? The problem occurs even if I
    > disconnect the ide cable and leave only the power connected. The
    > systems in question are a Gateway Essential 450mhz and a Gateway
    > (3200?) 733mhz.
    >
    > TIA

    Thanks BigJim. The cable that comes with the system (that works with
    the OEM drive) is keyed on each end, I'll try one that's not keyed
    and see if it makes any difference. When I boot with a non-OEM
    drive, the light on the drive stays solid, the bios autodetect takes
    about 2x longer to load, and it does not detect the non-OEM drive
    through the bios or windows.

    As an experiment, I took one of the OEM drives and swapped it into the
    second computer (again both Gateways that have the same issue) and it
    worked. But if I put a non-OEM drive into the Gateway, then the
    drive light stays solid and it will not detect in the bios. I wonder
    if it was a proprietary pinout on the power or ide cables that require
    an adapter?

    > spodosauruswrote:

    > [I've seen drives that are keyed wrongly. Check and line up pin 1
    with
    > the red stripe on the cable for both the motherboard and the drive.

    > That's your first step in troubleshooting this.
    >
    > I understand. I have a cable with no tabs that I'll
    try. I also did not note whether the ide pins on the cdrom drives
    had the plastic "guide" around them to protect against this. The
    only reason I suspect this isn't the issue, is that the drives behave
    the same way, whether the ide cable is plugged into them or not. If I
    plug just the power into one of the non-OEM drives from my Compaq
    1.8ghz, then they power up and the eject works. If I plug the power
    into them from one of the Gateway systems, then the "read" light on
    the drive stays solid, and refuses to respond to the eject
    button.

    > When I boot with a non-OEM
    > drive, the light on the drive stays solid, the bios autodetect
    takes
    > about 2x longer to load, and it does not detect the non-OEM drive
    > through the bios or windows.
    >
    > As an experiment, I took one of the OEM drives and swapped it into
    the
    > second computer (again both Gateways that have the same issue) and
    it
    > worked. But if I put a non-OEM drive into the Gateway, then the
    > drive light stays solid and it will not detect in the bios. I
    wonder
    > if it was a proprietary pinout on the power or ide cables that
    require
    > an adapter?

    Even for Gateway that's going a bit far. You may have a dead IDE
    controller. I assume you've confirmed the jumper settings?

    Tried master, slave and carrier select on two of the
    non-OEM drives, no difference. The IDE controller is good because I
    plug the OEM drive back into the same controller and it works
    fine.

    Try setting the ide to NONE in the bios (for the optical drives) instead of
    auto. You won't be able to boot to the drives, but windows should still see
    it.

    In article <oSEPe.170224$Fd1.97982@fe07.news.easynews.com>,
    neonrh@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid says...
    > Thanks BigJim. The cable that comes with the system (that works with
    > the OEM drive) is keyed on each end, I'll try one that's not keyed
    > and see if it makes any difference. When I boot with a non-OEM
    > drive, the light on the drive stays solid, the bios autodetect takes
    > about 2x longer to load, and it does not detect the non-OEM drive
    > through the bios or windows.
    >
    > As an experiment, I took one of the OEM drives and swapped it into the
    > second computer (again both Gateways that have the same issue) and it
    > worked. But if I put a non-OEM drive into the Gateway, then the
    > drive light stays solid and it will not detect in the bios. I wonder
    > if it was a proprietary pinout on the power or ide cables that require
    > an adapter?

    Have you checked in the BIOS to ensure the drives are set to be AUTO
    detected?

    --
    Pete Ives

    tooslow wrote:
    > Thanks BigJim. The cable that comes with the system (that works with
    > the OEM drive) is keyed on each end, I'll try one that's not keyed
    > and see if it makes any difference.

    I've seen drives that are keyed wrongly. Check and line up pin 1 with
    the red stripe on the cable for both the motherboard and the drive.
    That's your first step in troubleshooting this.

    > When I boot with a non-OEM
    > drive, the light on the drive stays solid, the bios autodetect takes
    > about 2x longer to load, and it does not detect the non-OEM drive
    > through the bios or windows.
    >
    > As an experiment, I took one of the OEM drives and swapped it into the
    > second computer (again both Gateways that have the same issue) and it
    > worked. But if I put a non-OEM drive into the Gateway, then the
    > drive light stays solid and it will not detect in the bios. I wonder
    > if it was a proprietary pinout on the power or ide cables that require
    > an adapter?

    Even for Gateway that's going a bit far. You may have a dead IDE
    controller. I assume you've confirmed the jumper settings?

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    Peter - Not sure what you are asking, but if I hook up an OEM drive,
    it detects and acts as it should. If I connect a non-OEM drive, the
    drive light (on the cdrom) stays solid, it will not eject the tray,
    and the bios (nor the OS) will pick up the cdrom. Thanks!

    >The
    > only reason I suspect this isn't the issue, is that the drives behave
    > the same way, whether the ide cable is plugged into them or not. If I
    > plug just the power into one of the non-OEM drives from my Compaq
    > 1.8ghz, then they power up and the eject works. If I plug the power
    > into them from one of the Gateway systems, then the "read" light on
    > the drive stays solid, and refuses to respond to the eject
    > button.

    Compare the the drive power leads between the Compaq and Gateway boxes.
    Perhaps they are wired differently.. Should be able to tell by visual
    comparison..
    Maybe the Gateway only has one ground (black) wire, instead of the normal
    two.
    Maybe the Gateway only has 5V(red) or 12V(yellow) wires, but not both.
    Maybe the Gateway drives require only one voltage rail, or only one ground
    wire, whereas the standard generic drives require BOTH ground wires and BOTH
    supply rails....

    Cheers,

    John S.

    tooslow wrote:
    > Peter - Not sure what you are asking, but if I hook up an OEM drive,
    > it detects and acts as it should. If I connect a non-OEM drive, the
    > drive light (on the cdrom) stays solid, it will not eject the tray,
    > and the bios (nor the OS) will pick up the cdrom. Thanks!

    Perhaps you could clarfify exactly what you mean by OEM here. Are you
    referring to the general term OEM, or only to Gateway branded/supplied
    drives?

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    spodosaurus - By OEM i'm referring to the cd-rom drive that came with
    each Gateway system.

    Muttley - Power leads are exactly the same and match the ones for the
    hard drives as well. BTW, I tried plugging in a non-oem drive into
    the same plug used for the hard disk, same symptoms.

    BigJim - Checked the P1 to P1 pinout and tested each drive again,
    using the OEM cable and a seperate un-keyed cable. All the same
    result.

    Tweek - Set it as you requested, and Windows (98SE) does not pick up
    the drive at all, in My Computer or device manager.

    I had a feeling that Muttley was onto something, so I dragged over an
    older case that had an ATX p/s in it but would not boot to the post
    screen. In fact last time I had tried it, it smoked a bit. So I was
    going to try giving the non-OEM drive IDE connectivity through the
    Gateway PC but power via this other generic case and p/s. However
    when I turned it on to test it, it sparked, popped, and smoke started
    billowing out of the bios chip. So I chose to quit while I was ahead
    (better to keep a roof over my head)! I am grabbing an old p/s from
    a 200mhz computer here at work and will try it tonight. I'll keep
    you informed.

    Well I brought home an old AT p/s and hooked it up to one of my
    non-oem drives. Powered it up and the tray ejected fine. Connected
    the IDE cable to the Gateway and booted it up, and I can use the
    drive just fine. So it's something to do with the wiring of the
    power connectors on the Gateway systems. So now I have two options,
    either connect the drive externally via USB or firewire, or get out a
    volt/ohm meter, re-learn how electricity works and customize a new
    connector. I checked the wiring and the cables are all the same
    color and in the same locations. I didn't check to see whether I
    could maybe swap out the power supply entirely... hmmmm.

Homebuilt Systems