Plextor CD-R Premium drive and Nero error burning

BP

I just tried to continue a multi-session disk using my Plextor Premium CD-RW
drive and Nero 6. Nero continually shows in "Disc Info" that "Mount Rainier:
Disk has no MRW format". The UPC/EAN Code line is blank. Upon trying to burn
the files to the disk the simulation succeeds but the burn fails with the
following errors: "Could not perform end track", "Current program area
empty", "Could not perform fixation", "Invalid write state" and once it came
up with "Power calibration error". I tried a few times. I can read data on
the disk in Nero and in Windows explorer. I tried to erase all info on the
disk but that failed also. It started, showed progress and 20 minutes
remaining, but after 2 minutes it finishes, ejects, and all info is still on
the disk.

I have a DVD recorder also and used that with Nero to burn the disk. No
problems. The CD is fine. Disk info on the DVD shows no MRW line and UPC/EAN
is normal. Put the same disk back in the Plextor and disk info shows the
same info as above.

Can anyone tell me what is going on with this drive? Time to die?

BP

"BP" <replytoall@only.net> wrote in message
>I just tried to continue a multi-session disk using my Plextor Premium
>CD-RW drive and Nero 6. Nero continually shows in "Disc Info" that "Mount
>Rainier: Disk has no MRW format". The UPC/EAN Code line is blank. Upon
>trying to burn the files to the disk the simulation succeeds but the burn
>fails with the following errors: "Could not perform end track", "Current
>program area empty", "Could not perform fixation", "Invalid write state"
>and once it came up with "Power calibration error". I tried a few times. I
>can read data on the disk in Nero and in Windows explorer. I tried to erase
>all info on the disk but that failed also. It started, showed progress and
>20 minutes remaining, but after 2 minutes it finishes, ejects, and all info
>is still on the disk.
>
> I have a DVD recorder also and used that with Nero to burn the disk. No
> problems. The CD is fine. Disk info on the DVD shows no MRW line and
> UPC/EAN is normal. Put the same disk back in the Plextor and disk info
> shows the same info as above.
>
> Can anyone tell me what is going on with this drive? Time to die?

OK. I found that MRW is Nero's InCD packet writing format. All the other
error messages just mean that the writer doesn't like the disk.
I don't have InCD installed or use packet writing. So why is Nero looking
for it on this one disk?
Clue: I experimented when I attempted to add data to the disk. I tried to
put folders into existing folders from a previous session. I suspect that
this is a no-no and Nero somehow defaulted to MRW assuming this must be a
packet writing session. I assume this disk is now has a sort of "mark of
death" in the form of a MRW format? But only with the Plextor drive? The
obvious solution is to toss the disk and start over, but is there a way to
remove the tag?