Windows NT Server / XP workstations - how to remove ?

Kristine

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2004

Hi !
My network at home is running perfekt (no server, 1 xp prof, 1 xp home, 1
win me, 1 win 98, one router).
In our company we have a small network, too. Existing one old server (P 133)
with a hub connected using Windows NT server plus 3 workstations xp prof.
As we had to upgrade the server we decided to us a xp-pc as 'server' (it
will be not a real server, just keep the shared date, provide ICS and run the
streamer each night).
In general, the new machine runs fine - but:
As soon as I change the domain on an xp-client (to an existing workgroup,
with admin-rights), I cannot login anymore on the client.
What's the hell to I have to remove from the xp-clients to enable them
working in a workgroup?
Many thanks for your support !

In news:4BFF8089-984C-47ED-BECA-13DF8181EC16@microsoft.com,
Kristine <Kristine@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi !
> My network at home is running perfekt (no server, 1 xp
> prof, 1 xp home, 1 win me, 1 win 98, one router).
> In our company we have a small network, too. Existing one
> old server (P 133) with a hub connected using Windows NT
> server plus 3 workstations xp prof.
> As we had to upgrade the server we decided to us a xp-pc
> as 'server' (it will be not a real server, just keep the
> shared date, provide ICS and run the streamer each night).
> In general, the new machine runs fine - but:
> As soon as I change the domain on an xp-client (to an
> existing workgroup, with admin-rights), I cannot login
> anymore on the client.
> What's the hell to I have to remove from the xp-clients
> to enable them working in a workgroup?
> Many thanks for your support !

Once you change from a domain to a workgroup you have to logon to the
machine using local accounts.
My suspicion is you haven't created the local accounts. Also, if you use any
file or printer sharing, you have to mirror all the local accounts and
passwords for all machines.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

"Kevin D. Goodknecht >
> Once you change from a domain to a workgroup you have to logon to the
> machine using local accounts.
> My suspicion is you haven't created the local accounts. Also, if you use
> any
> file or printer sharing, you have to mirror all the local accounts and
> passwords for all machines.

Many thanks, Kevin !
I will do so for the 2 remaining clients - for the first I 'cracked' the
password using Erd Commander.
Cheers from Hamburg, Germany
Kristine