Won't detect CD-ROM

Sorry; the motherboard is Asus P5GD2 Premium. And the DVD-ROM is Pioneer
DVD-120RD and the DVD/RW is Pioneer DVR-109.

I tried swapping the jumpers and master/slave positions around as you
said, but it is still the same problem: the drives will detect during
the IDE scan at startup, but they are 'undetected' in the BIOS. Only
the HDD is 'detected'.

The BIOS was already set to 'auto detect'. I changed them to 'CD-ROM'
to see what would happen, and after I restarted, I got the error msg:
'ATAPI INCOMPATIBLE', if that is any use in solving my dilemma...

Thanks everyone for your help so far.

--
jiffypop

earth by touching unpainted part of the inside metal case
keep power plugged in but turned off at mains
or if you want, earth then unplug power cable