Computer Name grey out in Server Manager

Hi,
I see previous message about grey out computer name in server manager.
However, even I updated service pack. I still cannot see it become normal.
I have several subnet e.g. Subnet A, B, C, D, E
Our domain controller in Subnet A and client computer in subnet B, C, D, E
Subnet B and C can see normally in Server manager.
However, subnet D and E are grey out in server manager. Would anyone know
how to fix the problem?
I have tried to reinstall SP6a already.

Many Thanks.
m.w
5 answers Last reply
More about computer grey server manager

    Download the browsing console and use it to test the
    browser functionality. Post the errors if any..

    Description of NetBIOS Browsing Console (Browcon.exe)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;818092

    "m.w" <m.w@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > Hi,
    > I see previous message about grey out computer name in server manager.
    > However, even I updated service pack. I still cannot see it become normal.
    > I have several subnet e.g. Subnet A, B, C, D, E
    > Our domain controller in Subnet A and client computer in subnet B, C, D, E
    > Subnet B and C can see normally in Server manager.
    > However, subnet D and E are grey out in server manager. Would anyone know
    > how to fix the problem?
    > I have tried to reinstall SP6a already.
    >
    > Many Thanks.
    > m.w

    Thank you very much.
    I run the tool and get the below result.
    I also found that from the tool. There are many master browser.
    However, many of them are users computer. How can I force it to our domain
    controller or servers to be the master browser?
    How can I change the record in WINS server?

    Many thanks

    m.w

    #QUOTE#
    NetBIOS Browsing Console

    System Missing from Domain Master Browser's List

    Diagnosis:

    The domain master browser does not have the missing system in its browse
    list. Because of this, the missing system may also be missing from browse
    lists on other subnet master browsers.

    NOTE: The domain master browser should get the browse list for the missing
    system's subnet from the master browser on that subnet. If the NetBIOS
    Browsing Console also generated a report indicating that the missing system's
    subnet master browser did not have the missing system in its browse list,
    follow that report's suggestions before following the suggestions below.

    Possible Causes:

    This could be due to name resolution problems on the network.

    The subnet master browser must be able to resolve the domain 1Bh record in
    order to send its browse list to the domain master browser.

    The subnet master browser must be able to resolve the PDC's NetBIOS name

    The PDC must be able to resolve the subnet master browser's NetBIOS name

    To verify that both the PDC and the subnet master browser can resolve each
    other's NetBIOS names, map a network drive from the subnet master browser to
    the PDC and from the PDC to the subnet master browser. If mapping a drive
    fails, resolve the name resolution problem causing the failure.

    Note: if the missing system is not in its own subnet master browser's list,
    it will not be in the domain master browser's list either. This is by
    design. Ensure that the missing system is in the browse list on its subnet's
    master browser. The NetBIOS Browsing Console should tell you if this is the
    case.

    The missing system is not in the domain master browser's list. Try to solve
    this problem with the suggestions outlined above.
    #UNQUOTE#

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

    > Download the browsing console and use it to test the
    > browser functionality. Post the errors if any..
    >
    > Description of NetBIOS Browsing Console (Browcon.exe)
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;818092
    >
    > "m.w" <m.w@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > > Hi,
    > > I see previous message about grey out computer name in server manager.
    > > However, even I updated service pack. I still cannot see it become normal.
    > > I have several subnet e.g. Subnet A, B, C, D, E
    > > Our domain controller in Subnet A and client computer in subnet B, C, D, E
    > > Subnet B and C can see normally in Server manager.
    > > However, subnet D and E are grey out in server manager. Would anyone know
    > > how to fix the problem?
    > > I have tried to reinstall SP6a already.
    > >
    > > Many Thanks.
    > > m.w

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Which WINS record do you want to change? You can't
    change the 1b name that is registered by the PDC unless
    another machine is registering that name which would cause
    a problem. I've seen SAMBA servers register this name
    and I've seen the 1b name missing if the PDC itself is the
    WINS server but not pointing towards itself in its tcp/ip
    properties.

    In any case you have to identify the SMB (subnet master
    browser) on the problem subnet and check connectivity
    between that machine and the missing machines by
    attempting to map shares to and from the SMB. Next
    check connectivity from the SMB to the PDC of that
    domain. If all is okay and you have multiple domains
    you should check connectivity between all PDCs.

    "m.w" <m.w@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > Thank you very much.
    > I run the tool and get the below result.
    > I also found that from the tool. There are many master browser.
    > However, many of them are users computer. How can I force it to our domain
    > controller or servers to be the master browser?
    > How can I change the record in WINS server?
    >
    > Many thanks
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Hi,

    Many thanks, I will try to solve the problem of SMB first.

    Thank you very much.

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

    > Which WINS record do you want to change? You can't
    > change the 1b name that is registered by the PDC unless
    > another machine is registering that name which would cause
    > a problem. I've seen SAMBA servers register this name
    > and I've seen the 1b name missing if the PDC itself is the
    > WINS server but not pointing towards itself in its tcp/ip
    > properties.
    >
    > In any case you have to identify the SMB (subnet master
    > browser) on the problem subnet and check connectivity
    > between that machine and the missing machines by
    > attempting to map shares to and from the SMB. Next
    > check connectivity from the SMB to the PDC of that
    > domain. If all is okay and you have multiple domains
    > you should check connectivity between all PDCs.
    >

    > "m.w" <m.w@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > > Thank you very much.
    > > I run the tool and get the below result.
    > > I also found that from the tool. There are many master browser.
    > > However, many of them are users computer. How can I force it to our domain
    > > controller or servers to be the master browser?
    > > How can I change the record in WINS server?
    > >
    > > Many thanks

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Hi Michael,

    There are also a status message box. It shown as follows:
    #QUOTE#

    Attempting to find the PDC/Domain Master Browser for domain: HIBAHK

    PDC/Domain Master Browser: \\computerD(Domain Controller)

    The PDC identified in the 'Network Profile' appears to be the same as the
    Domain Master Browser currently found on the network

    There are currently 21 subnet Master Browsers on the network for the
    specified domain

    There are currently 45 subnet Backup Master Browsers on the network for the
    specified domain
    Processing local_subnet...

    Attempting to find local subnet Master Browser...
    Master Browser: \\computerA(client PC)

    Backup Master Browsers:
    \\computerB(client PC)
    \\computerC(client PC)
    \\computerD(domain controller)
    Note: if these systems are not on the local subnet, then no Backup Master
    Browsers exist on the logical local subnet. i.e. no systems answered a
    broadcasted 'get backup list request.' In this case, Backup Master Browsers
    are retrieved from the Domain Master Browser's current list.

    Checking the missing system's subnet master browser on the local subnet...

    Checking browse list on \\computerA for the missing system called missingpcA

    missingpcA was found in the browse list

    Checking domain master browser's list...
    Checking browse list on \\computerD(Domain Controller) for the missing
    system called missingpcA

    missingpcA was NOT found in the browse list

    #UNQUOTE#

    Why the master browser list will changed to client PC? How can I change back
    the domain master Browser to our domain controller?

    When user logon to domain. they cannot call the logon scripts at first time.
    However, the logon script will resume normal after restart again.

    Would you please help any tools can do it to prevent automatically changed
    Domain master browser?

    Many Thanks.
    m.w.

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

    > Which WINS record do you want to change? You can't
    > change the 1b name that is registered by the PDC unless
    > another machine is registering that name which would cause
    > a problem. I've seen SAMBA servers register this name
    > and I've seen the 1b name missing if the PDC itself is the
    > WINS server but not pointing towards itself in its tcp/ip
    > properties.
    >
    > In any case you have to identify the SMB (subnet master
    > browser) on the problem subnet and check connectivity
    > between that machine and the missing machines by
    > attempting to map shares to and from the SMB. Next
    > check connectivity from the SMB to the PDC of that
    > domain. If all is okay and you have multiple domains
    > you should check connectivity between all PDCs.
    >

    > "m.w" <m.w@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > > Thank you very much.
    > > I run the tool and get the below result.
    > > I also found that from the tool. There are many master browser.
    > > However, many of them are users computer. How can I force it to our domain
    > > controller or servers to be the master browser?
    > > How can I change the record in WINS server?
    > >
    > > Many thanks

Subnet Computers Servers Windows