Hotfixes in Add/Remove programs

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Can anyone tell if you can remove the hotfixes and SP from the Add/remove
programs, I have a bunch of Hotfixes and Service Pakcs, for when I updated
Win XP and I-net Explorer (which I'm not using anymore) FireFox 9 is much
better, but Its really just a visual issue really, if you can't remove them
no biggie just curious though...

TIA

Phil

Hotfixes are the updates from Windows update including any security updates.
If you remove them, you will be removing the updates.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Phil" <pwsand@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell if you can remove the hotfixes and SP from the Add/remove
> programs, I have a bunch of Hotfixes and Service Pakcs, for when I updated
> Win XP and I-net Explorer (which I'm not using anymore) FireFox 9 is much
> better, but Its really just a visual issue really, if you can't remove
> them
> no biggie just curious though...
>
> TIA
>
> Phil

I think that the OP is asking how to remove the entry in Add/Remove
Programs, not how to remove the hotfix.

Tweak UI for Windows XP
(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.ms
px) remove items from the Add/Remove dialog.

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote
in message news:%237FmSVkfEHA.3916@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hotfixes are the updates from Windows update including any security
updates.
> If you remove them, you will be removing the updates.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "Phil" <pwsand@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Can anyone tell if you can remove the hotfixes and SP from the
Add/remove
> > programs, I have a bunch of Hotfixes and Service Pakcs, for when I
updated
> > Win XP and I-net Explorer (which I'm not using anymore) FireFox 9
is much
> > better, but Its really just a visual issue really, if you can't
remove
> > them
> > no biggie just curious though...
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Phil

I thought that might be it but I also thought if he knew what they were he
might not wish to remove the entry. While they aren't all that descriptive,
you can use the entries as means of tracing what updates you have without
going to Windows Update and checking history.

--

"bxb7668" <bxb7668@somewhere.nocom> wrote in message
>I think that the OP is asking how to remove the entry in Add/Remove
> Programs, not how to remove the hotfix.
>
> Tweak UI for Windows XP
> (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.ms
> px) remove items from the Add/Remove dialog.
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote
> in message news:%237FmSVkfEHA.3916@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> Hotfixes are the updates from Windows update including any security
> updates.
>> If you remove them, you will be removing the updates.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "Phil" <pwsand@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Can anyone tell if you can remove the hotfixes and SP from the
> Add/remove
>> > programs, I have a bunch of Hotfixes and Service Pakcs, for when I
> updated
>> > Win XP and I-net Explorer (which I'm not using anymore) FireFox 9
> is much
>> > better, but Its really just a visual issue really, if you can't
> remove
>> > them
>> > no biggie just curious though...
>> >
>> > TIA
>> >
>> > Phil

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Thanks, That is exactly what I was looking for.......

Phil

"bxb7668" <bxb7668@somewhere.nocom> wrote in news:ezeKlxkfEHA.2352
@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

> I think that the OP is asking how to remove the entry in Add/Remove
> Programs, not how to remove the hotfix.
>
> Tweak UI for Windows XP
> (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.ms
> px) remove items from the Add/Remove dialog.
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote
> in message news:%237FmSVkfEHA.3916@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> Hotfixes are the updates from Windows update including any security
> updates.
>> If you remove them, you will be removing the updates.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "Phil" <pwsand@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Can anyone tell if you can remove the hotfixes and SP from the
> Add/remove
>> > programs, I have a bunch of Hotfixes and Service Pakcs, for when I
> updated
>> > Win XP and I-net Explorer (which I'm not using anymore) FireFox 9
> is much
>> > better, but Its really just a visual issue really, if you can't
> remove
>> > them
>> > no biggie just curious though...
>> >
>> > TIA
>> >
>> > Phil

I apologize, Phil.

--

> Thanks, That is exactly what I was looking for.......
>
> Phil
>

> "bxb7668" <bxb7668@somewhere.nocom> wrote in news:ezeKlxkfEHA.2352
> @TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:
>
>> I think that the OP is asking how to remove the entry in Add/Remove
>> Programs, not how to remove the hotfix.
>>
>> Tweak UI for Windows XP
>> (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.ms
>> px) remove items from the Add/Remove dialog.
>>
>> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote
>> in message news:%237FmSVkfEHA.3916@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>>> Hotfixes are the updates from Windows update including any security
>> updates.
>>> If you remove them, you will be removing the updates.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>>> Windows Shell/User
>>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>>
>>> "Phil" <pwsand@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Add/remove
>> updated
>> is much
>> remove

TweakUI for XP does not have the option to remove invalid Add/Remove Program entries.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp

"bxb7668" <bxb7668@somewhere.nocom> wrote in message news:ezeKlxkfEHA.2352@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
I think that the OP is asking how to remove the entry in Add/Remove
Programs, not how to remove the hotfix.

Tweak UI for Windows XP
(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.ms
px) remove items from the Add/Remove dialog.

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote
in message news:%237FmSVkfEHA.3916@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hotfixes are the updates from Windows update including any security
updates.
> If you remove them, you will be removing the updates.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "Phil" <pwsand@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Can anyone tell if you can remove the hotfixes and SP from the
Add/remove
> > programs, I have a bunch of Hotfixes and Service Pakcs, for when I
updated
> > Win XP and I-net Explorer (which I'm not using anymore) FireFox 9
is much
> > better, but Its really just a visual issue really, if you can't
remove
> > them
> > no biggie just curious though...
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Phil

Or he can just download SP2 from:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

and uncheck the "Show Updates" checkbox in Add/Remove Programs.

--
Paul Cyr

-----

The Debate Continues... www.xvsxp.com

Protect Yourself and Others in 6 Simple Steps...
http://davechalkconnected.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1802
-----

"bxb7668" <bxb7668@somewhere.nocom> wrote in message
>I think that the OP is asking how to remove the entry in Add/Remove
> Programs, not how to remove the hotfix.
>
> Tweak UI for Windows XP
> (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.ms
> px) remove items from the Add/Remove dialog.
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote
> in message news:%237FmSVkfEHA.3916@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> Hotfixes are the updates from Windows update including any security
> updates.
>> If you remove them, you will be removing the updates.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "Phil" <pwsand@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Can anyone tell if you can remove the hotfixes and SP from the
> Add/remove
>> > programs, I have a bunch of Hotfixes and Service Pakcs, for when I
> updated
>> > Win XP and I-net Explorer (which I'm not using anymore) FireFox 9
> is much
>> > better, but Its really just a visual issue really, if you can't
> remove
>> > them
>> > no biggie just curious though...
>> >
>> > TIA
>> >
>> > Phil

johnf

Correct, I think he meant the old pre-XP Tweakui, which does.
--

johnf

> TweakUI for XP does not have the option to remove invalid Add/Remove
> Program entries.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>
> Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp
>
> "bxb7668" <bxb7668@somewhere.nocom> wrote in message
> I think that the OP is asking how to remove the entry in Add/Remove
> Programs, not how to remove the hotfix.
>
> Tweak UI for Windows XP
> (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.ms
> px) remove items from the Add/Remove dialog.
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote
> in message news:%237FmSVkfEHA.3916@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> Hotfixes are the updates from Windows update including any security
> updates.
>> If you remove them, you will be removing the updates.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "Phil" <pwsand@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Can anyone tell if you can remove the hotfixes and SP from the
> Add/remove
>>> programs, I have a bunch of Hotfixes and Service Pakcs, for when I
> updated
>>> Win XP and I-net Explorer (which I'm not using anymore) FireFox 9
> is much
>>> better, but Its really just a visual issue really, if you can't
> remove
>>> them
>>> no biggie just curious though...
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Phil

TweakUI for Windows 9x systems has the option as you said. But, bxb7668 mentioned as "Tweak UI for Windows XP"

--

"johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message news:uatw74rfEHA.1356@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
Correct, I think he meant the old pre-XP Tweakui, which does.
--

johnf

> TweakUI for XP does not have the option to remove invalid Add/Remove
> Program entries.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>
> Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp
>
> "bxb7668" <bxb7668@somewhere.nocom> wrote in message
> I think that the OP is asking how to remove the entry in Add/Remove
> Programs, not how to remove the hotfix.
>
> Tweak UI for Windows XP
> (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.ms
> px) remove items from the Add/Remove dialog.
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote
> in message news:%237FmSVkfEHA.3916@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> Hotfixes are the updates from Windows update including any security
> updates.
>> If you remove them, you will be removing the updates.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "Phil" <pwsand@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Can anyone tell if you can remove the hotfixes and SP from the
> Add/remove
>>> programs, I have a bunch of Hotfixes and Service Pakcs, for when I
> updated
>>> Win XP and I-net Explorer (which I'm not using anymore) FireFox 9
> is much
>>> better, but Its really just a visual issue really, if you can't
> remove
>>> them
>>> no biggie just curious though...
>>>
>>> TIA