Cisco UK: Businesses Need to Improve Wireless Networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
In other words not enough new Cisco approved tech is going into today's businesses. In theory what they want is us to abandon secure and simple wired networks (easy to troubleshoot too) and get on WiFi wagon with new expensive tech with security holes, patch them up with extra hardware and maintain by training IT with Cisco programmes that costs thousands. Yep..

azgard

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Excuse me, what are the the purpose of tablets in business?[/citation]

What do you think UPS and FedEx use?

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]azgard[/nom]What do you think UPS and FedEx use?[/citation]

Very good point. You have to weight all the criteria into consideration. If having Wireless is huge timesaver - go for it. But then again that is probably already in place since we are in a hole for past 5 years... However I have seen businesses having WiFi for no reason really. And all employees do is just browse net while having a cigarette. It's a big investment. Cisco is brave but.. Too luxurious for most.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
I don't see why most businesses would need WiFi and it opens a BIIIIG can of worms for PCI Compliance. We actually pay for small DSL line to keep it completely separate from out network in our employees break room. Its small, tiny radius (so it wont bleed into the call center) and did i mention its off our corp network? And UPS and FedEx don't need WiFi on their "tablets" at their pickup locations. That's their concern not mine and though i don't know much about their tracking scanner but I'm pretty sure they don't use a/b/g/n WiFi.

Status
Not open for further replies.