System won't boot after flashing bios

I have an AMD64 3200 cpu on MSI K8N Neo Platinum mainboard, NVidia
NForce 3
drivers, 2 250GB SATA Drives & 1 180GB ATA drive. WinXP and Fedora Core
3 installed on the ATA drive with grub boot loader, boot partition is
FAT32.

I flashed the bios with the latest from MSI, with the flash update
successful.
Now the sytem won't boot at all, the bios screen won't even come up, I
just
get a flashing cursor. I don't have a floppy drive. I assume the
mainboard
bios is corrupt, how can I boot the system and reflash the bios?
Thanks,

--
Jeff
5 answers Last reply

    <dynamorph@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have an AMD64 3200 cpu on MSI K8N Neo Platinum mainboard, NVidia
    > NForce 3
    > drivers, 2 250GB SATA Drives & 1 180GB ATA drive. WinXP and Fedora Core
    > 3 installed on the ATA drive with grub boot loader, boot partition is
    > FAT32.
    >
    > I flashed the bios with the latest from MSI, with the flash update
    > successful.
    > Now the sytem won't boot at all, the bios screen won't even come up, I
    > just
    > get a flashing cursor. I don't have a floppy drive. I assume the
    > mainboard
    > bios is corrupt, how can I boot the system and reflash the bios?
    > Thanks,
    >
    > --
    > Jeff

    find your MoBo manual. In it will be a section on the BIOS. Within this
    section there should be a pic of the MoBo showing the location of a jumper
    socket for resetting to the default BIOS.

    Basically what you do is, with all power to the comp OFF, open the case set
    the jumper to its reset position leave for a minute or so then replace it to
    it operating position. Reassemble case and power up. This will have reset
    the BIOS to its original default settings.

    dj

    "Glittery Gary" <OnThe@Upbtinternet.com> wrote in message

    > <dynamorph@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I have an AMD64 3200 cpu on MSI K8N Neo Platinum mainboard, NVidia
    >> NForce 3
    >> drivers, 2 250GB SATA Drives & 1 180GB ATA drive. WinXP and Fedora Core
    >> 3 installed on the ATA drive with grub boot loader, boot partition is
    >> FAT32.
    >>
    >> I flashed the bios with the latest from MSI, with the flash update
    >> successful.
    >> Now the sytem won't boot at all, the bios screen won't even come up, I
    >> just
    >> get a flashing cursor. I don't have a floppy drive. I assume the
    >> mainboard
    >> bios is corrupt, how can I boot the system and reflash the bios?
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jeff
    >>

    > find your MoBo manual. In it will be a section on the BIOS. Within this
    > section there should be a pic of the MoBo showing the location of a jumper
    > socket for resetting to the default BIOS.
    >
    > Basically what you do is, with all power to the comp OFF, open the case
    > set the jumper to its reset position leave for a minute or so then replace
    > it to it operating position. Reassemble case and power up. This will have
    > reset the BIOS to its original default settings.
    >
    > dj

    further to, taken from a web page,
    This might sound like a trivial thing to talk about, but did you notice the
    clear CMOS jumper has been replaced with an actual button? It's easier to
    use overclocking too far means the CMOS has to be reset, and something all
    motherboard manufacturers should have implemented a long time ago!

    dj

    "Glittery Gary" <OnThe@Upbtinternet.com> wrote in message

    > <dynamorph@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I have an AMD64 3200 cpu on MSI K8N Neo Platinum mainboard, NVidia
    >> NForce 3
    >> drivers, 2 250GB SATA Drives & 1 180GB ATA drive. WinXP and Fedora Core
    >> 3 installed on the ATA drive with grub boot loader, boot partition is
    >> FAT32.
    >>
    >> I flashed the bios with the latest from MSI, with the flash update
    >> successful.
    >> Now the sytem won't boot at all, the bios screen won't even come up, I
    >> just
    >> get a flashing cursor. I don't have a floppy drive. I assume the
    >> mainboard
    >> bios is corrupt, how can I boot the system and reflash the bios?
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jeff
    >>

    > find your MoBo manual. In it will be a section on the BIOS. Within this
    > section there should be a pic of the MoBo showing the location of a jumper
    > socket for resetting to the default BIOS.
    >
    > Basically what you do is, with all power to the comp OFF, open the case
    > set the jumper to its reset position leave for a minute or so then replace
    > it to it operating position. Reassemble case and power up. This will have
    > reset the BIOS to its original default settings.
    >
    > dj

    Additionally, with the power off, also pull the plug out of the wall or the
    computer.

    --
    Jan Alter
    bearpuf@verizon.net

    > "Glittery Gary" <OnThe@Upbtinternet.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <dynamorph@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have an AMD64 3200 cpu on MSI K8N Neo Platinum mainboard, NVidia
    >>> NForce 3
    >>> drivers, 2 250GB SATA Drives & 1 180GB ATA drive. WinXP and Fedora Core
    >>> 3 installed on the ATA drive with grub boot loader, boot partition is
    >>> FAT32.
    >>>
    >>> I flashed the bios with the latest from MSI, with the flash update
    >>> successful.
    >>> Now the sytem won't boot at all, the bios screen won't even come up, I
    >>> just
    >>> get a flashing cursor. I don't have a floppy drive. I assume the
    >>> mainboard
    >>> bios is corrupt, how can I boot the system and reflash the bios?
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Jeff
    >>>

    >> find your MoBo manual. In it will be a section on the BIOS. Within this
    >> section there should be a pic of the MoBo showing the location of a
    >> jumper socket for resetting to the default BIOS.
    >>
    >> Basically what you do is, with all power to the comp OFF, open the case
    >> set the jumper to its reset position leave for a minute or so then
    >> replace it to it operating position. Reassemble case and power up. This
    >> will have reset the BIOS to its original default settings.
    >>
    >> dj
    >>

    > http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1770

    Our American friends have a wonderful saying!

    If it aint broke dont fix it!

Homebuilt BIOS Boot Systems