Anyone tried to replace the mobo on a Dell GX300?

Hi all --

I have a few Dell GX300s here that are in dire need of more memory over
the 256M they came with. The problem is that they use that stupid
*%#/@#% Rambus memory that now costs a fortune if it's available at
all. Other than the memory limitation they're fine for our purposes,
we don't need powerhouses and aren't ready to get all new machines.

It occurred to me that changing out the motherboard might be a good
middle ground between burning our money on Crambus and buying all new
machines. I was wondering if anyone knew about any motherboards that
fit into the GX300 cases, or whether there's some impossibility here
I've overlooked.

Thanks for any advice.

-- Dave

Howdy!

<batcave@dma.net> wrote in message

> Hi all --
>
> I have a few Dell GX300s here that are in dire need of more memory over
> the 256M they came with. The problem is that they use that stupid
> *%#/@#% Rambus memory that now costs a fortune if it's available at
> all. Other than the memory limitation they're fine for our purposes,
> we don't need powerhouses and aren't ready to get all new machines.
>
> It occurred to me that changing out the motherboard might be a good
> middle ground between burning our money on Crambus and buying all new
> machines. I was wondering if anyone knew about any motherboards that
> fit into the GX300 cases, or whether there's some impossibility here
> I've overlooked.

Only from Dell.

Why not take the processor and the drives, and move to a new MB/Case
combo?

Or buy the RAMBUS and just scream into your pillow at night. 'Tis
still cheaper today than when I picked up my first P4 board that was
RAMBUS-only.

*remembers paying 100USD for a single 64Kx1 DRAM ... *

RwP