Trust between windows 2000 domain

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
March 23, 2005 7:45:02 AM

Hi

I've had to reset the trust between my NT4 domain and my windows 2000
domain. In NT4 user manager it adds it in as a trusting domain OK but when I
try to add it in as a trusted domain it comes up with the error 'could not
find domain controller for this domain'. I've checked all the things advised
on the knowledge base, like making sure I can ping the hostnames from both
domains and adding the names to LMHOSTS. Any ideas?

Dan
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 12:02:18 PM

Attempt to add the trusts from the NT 4.0 machine
again then immediately afterwards open a dos prompt
and run nbtstat -c. Now verify at least the following are
in the cache without conflict: computernames 00, 03, 20
and domainnames 1c and 1b all pointing towards the
W2k PDC emulator. If they are in the cache then I
suspect something is blocking NetBIOS. Make sure
on the W2k DC you enable Netbios over tcp/ip.

> Hi
>
> I've had to reset the trust between my NT4 domain and my windows 2000
> domain. In NT4 user manager it adds it in as a trusting domain OK but
when I
> try to add it in as a trusted domain it comes up with the error 'could not
> find domain controller for this domain'. I've checked all the things
advised
> on the knowledge base, like making sure I can ping the hostnames from both
> domains and adding the names to LMHOSTS. Any ideas?
>
> Dan
March 24, 2005 4:17:02 AM

I tried, 03 isn't showing at all and 20 is pointing at a workstation. Is
there anyway I can change that?

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> Attempt to add the trusts from the NT 4.0 machine
> again then immediately afterwards open a dos prompt
> and run nbtstat -c. Now verify at least the following are
> in the cache without conflict: computernames 00, 03, 20
> and domainnames 1c and 1b all pointing towards the
> W2k PDC emulator. If they are in the cache then I
> suspect something is blocking NetBIOS. Make sure
> on the W2k DC you enable Netbios over tcp/ip.
>
> "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I've had to reset the trust between my NT4 domain and my windows 2000
> > domain. In NT4 user manager it adds it in as a trusting domain OK but
> when I
> > try to add it in as a trusted domain it comes up with the error 'could not
> > find domain controller for this domain'. I've checked all the things
> advised
> > on the knowledge base, like making sure I can ping the hostnames from both
> > domains and adding the names to LMHOSTS. Any ideas?
> >
> > Dan

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 12:29:54 PM

Check your lmhosts file. It should have the
following lines:

xxx.xxx.x.x <W2KPDCEmulatorname> #PRE #DOM:<w2kdomainname>
xxx.xxx.x.x "W2kdomainname \0x1B" #PRE

Make sure the \ is the 16th character in the domain name. You
have to add or delete spaces to acheive this. Once you have
it correct open a dos prompt and run nbtstat -R then nbtstat -c.
You should see the names in the cache.

!