Trust between windows 2000 domain

Hi

I've had to reset the trust between my NT4 domain and my windows 2000
domain. In NT4 user manager it adds it in as a trusting domain OK but when I
try to add it in as a trusted domain it comes up with the error 'could not
find domain controller for this domain'. I've checked all the things advised
on the knowledge base, like making sure I can ping the hostnames from both
domains and adding the names to LMHOSTS. Any ideas?

Dan
3 answers Last reply
More about trust windows 2000 domain

    Attempt to add the trusts from the NT 4.0 machine
    again then immediately afterwards open a dos prompt
    and run nbtstat -c. Now verify at least the following are
    in the cache without conflict: computernames 00, 03, 20
    and domainnames 1c and 1b all pointing towards the
    W2k PDC emulator. If they are in the cache then I
    suspect something is blocking NetBIOS. Make sure
    on the W2k DC you enable Netbios over tcp/ip.

    > Hi
    >
    > I've had to reset the trust between my NT4 domain and my windows 2000
    > domain. In NT4 user manager it adds it in as a trusting domain OK but
    when I
    > try to add it in as a trusted domain it comes up with the error 'could not
    > find domain controller for this domain'. I've checked all the things
    advised
    > on the knowledge base, like making sure I can ping the hostnames from both
    > domains and adding the names to LMHOSTS. Any ideas?
    >
    > Dan

    I tried, 03 isn't showing at all and 20 is pointing at a workstation. Is
    there anyway I can change that?

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

    > Attempt to add the trusts from the NT 4.0 machine
    > again then immediately afterwards open a dos prompt
    > and run nbtstat -c. Now verify at least the following are
    > in the cache without conflict: computernames 00, 03, 20
    > and domainnames 1c and 1b all pointing towards the
    > W2k PDC emulator. If they are in the cache then I
    > suspect something is blocking NetBIOS. Make sure
    > on the W2k DC you enable Netbios over tcp/ip.
    >
    > "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I've had to reset the trust between my NT4 domain and my windows 2000
    > > domain. In NT4 user manager it adds it in as a trusting domain OK but
    > when I
    > > try to add it in as a trusted domain it comes up with the error 'could not
    > > find domain controller for this domain'. I've checked all the things
    > advised
    > > on the knowledge base, like making sure I can ping the hostnames from both
    > > domains and adding the names to LMHOSTS. Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Dan

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Check your lmhosts file. It should have the
    following lines:

    xxx.xxx.x.x <W2KPDCEmulatorname> #PRE #DOM:<w2kdomainname>
    xxx.xxx.x.x "W2kdomainname \0x1B" #PRE

    Make sure the \ is the 16th character in the domain name. You
    have to add or delete spaces to acheive this. Once you have
    it correct open a dos prompt and run nbtstat -R then nbtstat -c.
    You should see the names in the cache.

    "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > I tried, 03 isn't showing at all and 20 is pointing at a workstation. Is
    > there anyway I can change that?

Domain Windows 2000 Windows