what hardware is required for DSL?

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
September 2, 2005 11:22:48 PM

Hi,

Do you need a dial up modem to use DSL, or does
The DSL modem comprise 100% of the connection hardware?

Thanks
mike

More about : hardware required dsl

September 2, 2005 11:22:49 PM

DSL Modem - phone line - USB/RJ45 cable - NIC/USB interface on your computer

"Mike Hollywood" <noone@nowheret.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Do you need a dial up modem to use DSL, or does
> The DSL modem comprise 100% of the connection hardware?
>
> Thanks
> mike

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 2, 2005 11:22:49 PM

You need a DSL modem which should be different than a "dial-up" modem.
Talk to your phone company.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2005 1:32:00 AM

Thanks for the terough details! I wasn't sure if DSL used a dialup modem
somewhere in the mix.
Now I know it doesn't.

Mike

"Mike Hollywood" <noone@nowheret.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Do you need a dial up modem to use DSL, or does
> The DSL modem comprise 100% of the connection hardware?
>
> Thanks
> mike

September 3, 2005 3:48:39 AM

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> DSL Modem - phone line - USB/RJ45 cable - NIC/USB interface on your
> computer
>

> "Mike Hollywood" <noone@nowheret.net> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Do you need a dial up modem to use DSL, or does
>> The DSL modem comprise 100% of the connection hardware?
>>
>> Thanks
>> mike

A dialup modem and DSL modem are separate pieces of hardware and will
normally not be used together (although they could).

DSL modems come in two flavors - USB and Ethernet (sometimes called RJ-45 or
Cat5 or Cat6). I'd avoid the USB variety. Stick with Ethernet.

So you'll want a Ethernet DSL modem. The hookup goes:

PHONE <-> DSL MODEM <-> OPTIONAL ROUTER <-> NIC <-> PC

You'll need a router to hook up multiple computers. There are other ways to
do this, but generally the router is the quickest, least quirky way. A
router also provides some buffer for security. It's optional if you're only
going to hook up one computer and don't mind having it directly on the net.

The router can offer other features like 802.11 wireless connections. The
phone company won't include this equipment btw but a simple router only
costs $30.00.

Most computers sold in the past five years will have a network interface
card. This is what the ethernet cable plugs into. If your computer doesn't
have a NIC, you'll need to buy one. $10.00. You may need an ethernet
cable. One should come with the DSL modem.

That's basically it. You can get a lot of info at dslreports.com (last I
checked).
September 3, 2005 4:59:41 PM

No.

However, if you requrie FAX capability, then a dial-up FAXmodem will
also be needed.

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 19:22:48 -0400, "Mike Hollywood"
<noone@nowheret.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Do you need a dial up modem to use DSL, or does
>The DSL modem comprise 100% of the connection hardware?
>
>Thanks
>mike

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2005 7:09:26 PM

> Thanks for the terough details! I wasn't sure if DSL used a dialup modem
> somewhere in the mix.
> Now I know it doesn't.
>
> Mike

Usually when you sign up for DSL, your supplier will send you what you need.
In my case, I have to use "splitter filters" on each of my phone line
receptacles. I use SBC and they also provided an RJ-45/wireless b/g modem.
That is handy for my notebook which I may use anywhere within about 60ft or
so from the modem. I added a Linksys wireless b/g router for additional
coverage for outside and now have full coverage up to 100ft or so from my
home. I have been pretty happy with SBC but am on the very end of their
coverage so my speeds are a bit slower than someone closer to town. I have
only had one short outage in 3 years.

Ed
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2005 8:04:14 PM

The DSL modem is all you need. Although I would HIGHLY recommend you also
install a 4-port router to serve as a firewall to keep hackers from
accessing your computer over the network you will be on thru DSL.
Linksys makes very fine routers for about $50.

--
DaveW
"Mike Hollywood" <noone@nowheret.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Do you need a dial up modem to use DSL, or does
> The DSL modem comprise 100% of the connection hardware?
>
> Thanks
> mike

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 4, 2005 8:07:19 AM

"Mike Hollywood" <noone@nowheret.net> wrote:

> Do you need a dial up modem to use DSL, or does
> The DSL modem comprise 100% of the connection hardware?

Probably already said. All you need is a $10 or less ethernet card in
addition to the DSL modem. Also possible is to go without the
ethernet card if maybe your DSL modem connects through a USB port
(that might become more popular as the masses are served). I'm no
communications expert, but that is what I gather from experience. My
service is going up to 3 Mb this month <OINK! OINK!>
September 5, 2005 2:11:47 AM

<noone@nowheret.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Do you need a dial up modem to use DSL, or does
>The DSL modem comprise 100% of the connection hardware?
>
>Thanks
>mike

No dialup modem is needed. However, many ISPs provide a dialup
account in the event of DSL downtime. Technically speaking, a DSL
"modem" is not really a modem at all, although that'e the common
termonology. In fact, it is possible to have DSL with just an
Ethernet connection (PPPOE) if the location is lucky enough to have
nearby fiber (IFITL) connections or a central office (CO) across the
street.

For a typicall DSL setup, you'll need a NIC or Ethernet connection on
your PC, a DSL "modem," and splitters for each wired phone in your
home. DSL is "delicate" and may not work properly with interferences,
old wiring, radio waves, neon bulbs, microwave ovens, transformers,
etc. A PC not older than 5 years is recommended.
!