Strange internet connection problem

Built a new PC which for the most part is working just fine. I have an
older computer, and cable internet service. The older computer works fine
with regard to internet connection both when connected directly to my cable
modem and when going through my router. My new computer can't connect to
the internet at all when connected directly to the cable modem. When
connected through the router, it works fine. I can access the internet, use
email and other applications that require the internet connection. However,
there are 2 sites I can't find for some reason, even though I can access
them fine from the other computer.
www.pacificpoker.com and www.neteller.com
All other sites I know of are fine.

Any idea where I might start looking for clues here? thx

"jeffc" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:D18Se.18886$Wb4.160461@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> Built a new PC which for the most part is working just fine. I have an
> older computer, and cable internet service. The older computer works fine
> with regard to internet connection both when connected directly to my cable
> modem and when going through my router. My new computer can't connect to
> the internet at all when connected directly to the cable modem. When
> connected through the router, it works fine. I can access the internet, use
> email and other applications that require the internet connection. However,
> there are 2 sites I can't find for some reason, even though I can access
> them fine from the other computer.
> www.pacificpoker.com and www.neteller.com
> All other sites I know of are fine.
>
> Any idea where I might start looking for clues here? thx

Maybe. Try this:

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

peter

In article <3S8Se.182$tx.10@trndny02>, xxxxxx@yyyyyy.com says...
> "jeffc" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:D18Se.18886$Wb4.160461@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> > Built a new PC which for the most part is working just fine. I have an
> > older computer, and cable internet service. The older computer works fine
> > with regard to internet connection both when connected directly to my cable
> > modem and when going through my router. My new computer can't connect to
> > the internet at all when connected directly to the cable modem. When
> > connected through the router, it works fine. I can access the internet, use
> > email and other applications that require the internet connection. However,
> > there are 2 sites I can't find for some reason, even though I can access
> > them fine from the other computer.
> > www.pacificpoker.com and www.neteller.com
> > All other sites I know of are fine.
> >
> > Any idea where I might start looking for clues here? thx
>
> Maybe. Try this:
> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article04-107
>
> -- Bob Day
> http://bobday.vze.com

Not sure if your situation is the same, but here in the UK had a friend
who's cable modem would not connect when attached to his laptop, but was
fine whilst connected to his desktop computer. Turned out the modem was
working based upon the MAC address of the computer. Because the MAC
address of the laptop was different and not recognised by the modem it
refused to accept it as the correct computer to connect from.

In order to remedy this a specific order of tasks had to be performed.
Not sure exactly how this went but it was something like as follows:

Turn off modem completely, including disconnecting its power supply if
it has one and disconnecting it from all computers.

Turn on computer you wish modem to be connected from.

Once computer is up and running attach modem to it and then power the
modem up.

The reasoning behind this was to free up the stored link from the modem
to the MAC address of the computer. Because the modem is completely
switched off and not just on standby it had to re-determine the MAC
address and would start as if afresh.

Hope this is some help to you.

--
Pete Ives

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 11:42:45 +0100, Peter
<ivingtonAll_stRESS@fast24.co.uk> wrote:

>Not sure if your situation is the same, but here in the UK had a friend
>who's cable modem would not connect when attached to his laptop, but was
>fine whilst connected to his desktop computer. Turned out the modem was
>working based upon the MAC address of the computer. Because the MAC
>address of the laptop was different and not recognised by the modem it
>refused to accept it as the correct computer to connect from.
>
>In order to remedy this a specific order of tasks had to be performed.
>Not sure exactly how this went but it was something like as follows:
>
>Turn off modem completely, including disconnecting its power supply if
>it has one and disconnecting it from all computers.
>
>Turn on computer you wish modem to be connected from.
>
>Once computer is up and running attach modem to it and then power the
>modem up.
>
>The reasoning behind this was to free up the stored link from the modem
>to the MAC address of the computer. Because the modem is completely
>switched off and not just on standby it had to re-determine the MAC
>address and would start as if afresh.
>
>Hope this is some help to you.

I, too, had thought of the Mac address issue. That would explain why
the original computer and the router will work but a different
computer won't. I don't have enough experience to help you other than
to say that I don't believe anything is wrong with your set up. I
think it's working just like it's supposed to.

Bob