Windows NT4 Server to W2K3 Server

I have a Windows NT4 PDC and 2 BDC and 1 W2K3 Server all are members of the
PDC Domain. I have successfully migrated the company website and shared data
folders over to the W2K3 Server. Now I'm ready to migrate the user accounts,
passwords and personal data folders. How do I promote the W2K3 Server to be
the PDC so I can remove the Windows NT4 PDC from the network?
--
Troy Titus
Network Administrator

First of all there are no PDCs or BDCs in a W2k or higher domain
environment, the DCs are peer to peer. Second of all you cannot
have a W2k3 server become a DC or PDC emulator for an existing
NT 4.0 domain. Your choices are to run DCPROMO on the W2k3
server and create a new domain then migrate the user accounts and
data or Install NT 4.0 on the W2k3 box as a BDC in the existing NT
domain them promote it to PDC followed by upgrading the NT 4.0 PDC
to W2k3 which in effect will upgrade the domain.

"Troy Titus" <TroyTitus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
>I have a Windows NT4 PDC and 2 BDC and 1 W2K3 Server all are members of the
> PDC Domain. I have successfully migrated the company website and shared
> data
> folders over to the W2K3 Server. Now I'm ready to migrate the user
> accounts,
> passwords and personal data folders. How do I promote the W2K3 Server to
> be
> the PDC so I can remove the Windows NT4 PDC from the network?

Troy,

I would update PDC to W3K then transfer all FSMO roles to your destination
W3K server and then take off DC role from that old server and then remove it
from domain altogether.

If update of PDC is not an option (i.e. hardware requirements are not met)
try to get a suitable computer that will run W3K server, install it as NT DC
first, promote it to PDC, upgrade to W3K and then transfer FSMO roles to
your destination server and remove your NT BDCs

Hope this helps.
Pavlo
> I have a Windows NT4 PDC and 2 BDC and 1 W2K3 Server all are members of
the
> PDC Domain. I have successfully migrated the company website and shared
data
> folders over to the W2K3 Server. Now I'm ready to migrate the user
accounts,
> passwords and personal data folders. How do I promote the W2K3 Server to
be
> the PDC so I can remove the Windows NT4 PDC from the network?
> --
> Troy Titus
> Network Administrator

I believe that updating the PDC to W3K first then transferring all FSMO roles
to the final destination W3K server is what I need to do. Is there any
step-by-step instructions on how to perform the FSMO migration?

"Pavlo Ignatusha" wrote:

> Troy,
>
> I would update PDC to W3K then transfer all FSMO roles to your destination
> W3K server and then take off DC role from that old server and then remove it
> from domain altogether.
>
> If update of PDC is not an option (i.e. hardware requirements are not met)
> try to get a suitable computer that will run W3K server, install it as NT DC
> first, promote it to PDC, upgrade to W3K and then transfer FSMO roles to
> your destination server and remove your NT BDCs
>
> Hope this helps.
> Pavlo
> "Troy Titus" <TroyTitus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a Windows NT4 PDC and 2 BDC and 1 W2K3 Server all are members of
> the
> > PDC Domain. I have successfully migrated the company website and shared
> data
> > folders over to the W2K3 Server. Now I'm ready to migrate the user
> accounts,
> > passwords and personal data folders. How do I promote the W2K3 Server to
> be
> > the PDC so I can remove the Windows NT4 PDC from the network?
> > --
> > Troy Titus
> > Network Administrator

Pavlo,
Do I need to enable Active Directory on my final destination W3K Server
before performing the FSMO role migration? In other words once I have
upgraded my PDC to W3K will I have 2 Active Directory Servers on the network
at this point?

I'm assuming that I need to use the NTDSUTIL.EXE utility to transfer
the FSMO roles?

"Pavlo Ignatusha" wrote:

> Troy,
>
> I would update PDC to W3K then transfer all FSMO roles to your destination
> W3K server and then take off DC role from that old server and then remove it
> from domain altogether.
>
> If update of PDC is not an option (i.e. hardware requirements are not met)
> try to get a suitable computer that will run W3K server, install it as NT DC
> first, promote it to PDC, upgrade to W3K and then transfer FSMO roles to
> your destination server and remove your NT BDCs
>
> Hope this helps.
> Pavlo
> "Troy Titus" <TroyTitus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a Windows NT4 PDC and 2 BDC and 1 W2K3 Server all are members of
> the
> > PDC Domain. I have successfully migrated the company website and shared
> data
> > folders over to the W2K3 Server. Now I'm ready to migrate the user
> accounts,
> > passwords and personal data folders. How do I promote the W2K3 Server to
> be
> > the PDC so I can remove the Windows NT4 PDC from the network?
> > --
> > Troy Titus
> > Network Administrator

Once the W2k3 Domain is in place, after the upgrade from NT 4.0
you can run DCPROMO on your new W2k3 server to make it a
DC in your existing domain.

The following should help with the FSMO role holder. IIRC if you
demote the W2k3 server (old NT 4.0 PDC) it will give you a warning
asking you to transfer the roles to another DC along with the GC.

Using Ntdsutil.exe to transfer or seize FSMO roles to a domain controller

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255504

"Troy Titus" <TroyTitus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> Pavlo,
> Do I need to enable Active Directory on my final destination W3K
Server
> before performing the FSMO role migration? In other words once I have
> upgraded my PDC to W3K will I have 2 Active Directory Servers on the
network
> at this point?
>
> I'm assuming that I need to use the NTDSUTIL.EXE utility to transfer
> the FSMO roles?
>
> "Pavlo Ignatusha" wrote:
>
> > Troy,
> >
> > I would update PDC to W3K then transfer all FSMO roles to your
destination
> > W3K server and then take off DC role from that old server and then
remove it
> > from domain altogether.
> >
> > If update of PDC is not an option (i.e. hardware requirements are not
met)
> > try to get a suitable computer that will run W3K server, install it as
NT DC
> > first, promote it to PDC, upgrade to W3K and then transfer FSMO roles to
> > your destination server and remove your NT BDCs
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> > Pavlo
> > "Troy Titus" <TroyTitus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a Windows NT4 PDC and 2 BDC and 1 W2K3 Server all are members
of
> > the
> > > PDC Domain. I have successfully migrated the company website and
shared
> > data
> > > folders over to the W2K3 Server. Now I'm ready to migrate the user
> > accounts,
> > > passwords and personal data folders. How do I promote the W2K3 Server
> > be
> > > the PDC so I can remove the Windows NT4 PDC from the network?
> > > --
> > > Troy Titus
> > > Network Administrator

Correct me if I'm wrong on the step-by-step procedures to upgrade NT4 (PDC)
to W2K3 and Promote another W2K3 Server:

1) Upgrade NT4 (PDC) to W2K3 DC
2) Transfer all FSMO roles from (old PDC) to destination W2K3 server
3) Run DCPROMO on new W2k3 server to make it a DC in your existing domain.
3) Remove old (PDC) that was upgraded to W2K3 from network.

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> Once the W2k3 Domain is in place, after the upgrade from NT 4.0
> you can run DCPROMO on your new W2k3 server to make it a
> DC in your existing domain.
>
> The following should help with the FSMO role holder. IIRC if you
> demote the W2k3 server (old NT 4.0 PDC) it will give you a warning
> asking you to transfer the roles to another DC along with the GC.
>

> Using Ntdsutil.exe to transfer or seize FSMO roles to a domain controller
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255504
>
> "Troy Titus" <TroyTitus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> > Pavlo,
> > Do I need to enable Active Directory on my final destination W3K
> Server
> > before performing the FSMO role migration? In other words once I have
> > upgraded my PDC to W3K will I have 2 Active Directory Servers on the
> network
> > at this point?
> >
> > I'm assuming that I need to use the NTDSUTIL.EXE utility to transfer
> > the FSMO roles?
> >
> > "Pavlo Ignatusha" wrote:
> >
> > > Troy,
> > >
> > > I would update PDC to W3K then transfer all FSMO roles to your
> destination
> > > W3K server and then take off DC role from that old server and then
> remove it
> > > from domain altogether.
> > >
> > > If update of PDC is not an option (i.e. hardware requirements are not
> met)
> > > try to get a suitable computer that will run W3K server, install it as
> NT DC
> > > first, promote it to PDC, upgrade to W3K and then transfer FSMO roles to
> > > your destination server and remove your NT BDCs
> > >
> > > Hope this helps.
> > > Pavlo
> > > "Troy Titus" <TroyTitus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> of
> > > the
> shared
> > > data
> > > accounts,
> > > be

Troy,

Michael just put it right for you.

You do need your destination W3K server to be a DC before transferring the
FSMO roles.

Good luck,

Pavlo.
> Pavlo,
> Do I need to enable Active Directory on my final destination W3K
Server
> before performing the FSMO role migration? In other words once I have
> upgraded my PDC to W3K will I have 2 Active Directory Servers on the
network
> at this point?
>
> I'm assuming that I need to use the NTDSUTIL.EXE utility to transfer
> the FSMO roles?
>
> "Pavlo Ignatusha" wrote:
>
> > Troy,
> >
> > I would update PDC to W3K then transfer all FSMO roles to your
destination
> > W3K server and then take off DC role from that old server and then
remove it
> > from domain altogether.
> >
> > If update of PDC is not an option (i.e. hardware requirements are not
met)
> > try to get a suitable computer that will run W3K server, install it as
NT DC
> > first, promote it to PDC, upgrade to W3K and then transfer FSMO roles to
> > your destination server and remove your NT BDCs
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> > Pavlo
> > "Troy Titus" <TroyTitus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a Windows NT4 PDC and 2 BDC and 1 W2K3 Server all are members
of
> > the
> > > PDC Domain. I have successfully migrated the company website and
shared
> > data
> > > folders over to the W2K3 Server. Now I'm ready to migrate the user
> > accounts,
> > > passwords and personal data folders. How do I promote the W2K3 Server
> > be
> > > the PDC so I can remove the Windows NT4 PDC from the network?
> > > --
> > > Troy Titus
> > > Network Administrator

Michael,
It's my understanding that after the upgrade is complete on the NT4
(PDC) Server and restarts, the Active Directory Installation Wizard starts
automatically. Do I proceed with the AD Wizard setup or cancel? If I cancel
the AD Wizard setup does this make the W2K3 just a Domain Controller Server?
My other W2K3 Server that will be promoted to be the Domain Controller
eventually is not an Active Directory Server. When do I make it an AD
Server? Before the DCPROMO or after?

"Pavlo Ignatusha" wrote:

> Troy,
>
> Michael just put it right for you.
>
> You do need your destination W3K server to be a DC before transferring the
> FSMO roles.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Pavlo.
> "Troy Titus" <TroyTitus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Pavlo,
> > Do I need to enable Active Directory on my final destination W3K
> Server
> > before performing the FSMO role migration? In other words once I have
> > upgraded my PDC to W3K will I have 2 Active Directory Servers on the
> network
> > at this point?
> >
> > I'm assuming that I need to use the NTDSUTIL.EXE utility to transfer
> > the FSMO roles?
> >
> > "Pavlo Ignatusha" wrote:
> >
> > > Troy,
> > >
> > > I would update PDC to W3K then transfer all FSMO roles to your
> destination
> > > W3K server and then take off DC role from that old server and then
> remove it
> > > from domain altogether.
> > >
> > > If update of PDC is not an option (i.e. hardware requirements are not
> met)
> > > try to get a suitable computer that will run W3K server, install it as
> NT DC
> > > first, promote it to PDC, upgrade to W3K and then transfer FSMO roles to
> > > your destination server and remove your NT BDCs
> > >
> > > Hope this helps.
> > > Pavlo
> > > "Troy Titus" <TroyTitus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> of
> > > the
> shared
> > > data
> > > accounts,
> > > be

You can transfer the roles manually before shutting down
the old PDC but you still have to transfer the global catalog.
Delete step 2 below and change 4 to read: Run DCPROMO
on the old PDC and demote it to member server. A message
will come up asking you to transfer the FSMO roles and the GC.

"Troy Titus" <TroyTitus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> Correct me if I'm wrong on the step-by-step procedures to upgrade NT4
(PDC)
> to W2K3 and Promote another W2K3 Server:
>
> 1) Upgrade NT4 (PDC) to W2K3 DC
> 2) Transfer all FSMO roles from (old PDC) to destination W2K3 server
> 3) Run DCPROMO on new W2k3 server to make it a DC in your existing domain.
> 3) Remove old (PDC) that was upgraded to W2K3 from network.

Is this the correct actions to follow:

1) Upgrade NT4 (PDC) to W2K3 DC
2) Run DCPROMO on new W2k3 server to make it a DC in your existing domain.
3) Run DCPROMO on the old PDC and demote it to member server. A message
will come up asking you to transfer the FSMO roles and the Global Catalog.
4) Remove old (PDC) from network.

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> You can transfer the roles manually before shutting down
> the old PDC but you still have to transfer the global catalog.
> Delete step 2 below and change 4 to read: Run DCPROMO
> on the old PDC and demote it to member server. A message
> will come up asking you to transfer the FSMO roles and the GC.
>
> "Troy Titus" <TroyTitus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> > Correct me if I'm wrong on the step-by-step procedures to upgrade NT4
> (PDC)
> > to W2K3 and Promote another W2K3 Server:
> >
> > 1) Upgrade NT4 (PDC) to W2K3 DC
> > 2) Transfer all FSMO roles from (old PDC) to destination W2K3 server
> > 3) Run DCPROMO on new W2k3 server to make it a DC in your existing domain.
> > 4) Remove old (PDC) that was upgraded to W2K3 from network.

My apologies Troy. It looks as if MS officially recommends
to transfer the roles and the GC before demoting the DC. It
also states that the FSMO roles can be transferred during the
demotion processbut not the GC. The correct steps are as follows:

1) Upgrade NT 4.0 PDC to W2k3 DC
2) Run DCPROMO on new W2k3 server to make it a DC in your existing domain
3) Transfer FSMO Roles and Global Catalog to new W2k3 DC.
4) Run DCPROMO on the old PDC and demote it to member server.
5) Remove old PDC now W2k3 members server from network.

"Troy Titus" <TroyTitus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> Is this the correct actions to follow:
>
> 1) Upgrade NT4 (PDC) to W2K3 DC
> 2) Run DCPROMO on new W2k3 server to make it a DC in your existing domain.
> 3) Run DCPROMO on the old PDC and demote it to member server. A message
> will come up asking you to transfer the FSMO roles and the Global Catalog.
> 4) Remove old (PDC) from network.

You have to finish the AD Installation. Without an AD you
have no domain.

"Troy Titus" <TroyTitus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> Michael,
> It's my understanding that after the upgrade is complete on the NT4
> (PDC) Server and restarts, the Active Directory Installation Wizard starts
> automatically. Do I proceed with the AD Wizard setup or cancel? If I
cancel
> the AD Wizard setup does this make the W2K3 just a Domain Controller
Server?
> My other W2K3 Server that will be promoted to be the Domain Controller
> eventually is not an Active Directory Server. When do I make it an AD
> Server? Before the DCPROMO or after?

Then do I make my current W2K3 Server an Active Directory Server once I have
upgraded the NT4 (PDC) Server, so that I can run the DCPROMO?

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> You have to finish the AD Installation. Without an AD you
> have no domain.
>
> "Troy Titus" <TroyTitus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> > Michael,
> > It's my understanding that after the upgrade is complete on the NT4
> > (PDC) Server and restarts, the Active Directory Installation Wizard starts
> > automatically. Do I proceed with the AD Wizard setup or cancel? If I
> cancel
> > the AD Wizard setup does this make the W2K3 just a Domain Controller
> Server?
> > My other W2K3 Server that will be promoted to be the Domain Controller
> > eventually is not an Active Directory Server. When do I make it an AD
> > Server? Before the DCPROMO or after?

DCPROMO is the program which makes your W2k3
server an AD server by installing the AD.

"Troy Titus" <TroyTitus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> Then do I make my current W2K3 Server an Active Directory Server once I
have
> upgraded the NT4 (PDC) Server, so that I can run the DCPROMO?

Michael,
So after I have upgraded my old (PDC) to W2K3 and it has now become an
Active Directory Server. I can than setup my current W2K3 Server to become
an Active Directory Server and than run the DCPROMO from my current W2K3
Server?

One other note: I have a (BDC) Server at a remote site that needs to
be upgraded to W2K3 to support their new AUTOCAD Software. Can I upgrade the
(BDC) box before I upgrade my (PDC) or do I have to upgrade the (PDC) box
first?

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> DCPROMO is the program which makes your W2k3
> server an AD server by installing the AD.
>

> "Troy Titus" <TroyTitus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> > Then do I make my current W2K3 Server an Active Directory Server once I
> have
> > upgraded the NT4 (PDC) Server, so that I can run the DCPROMO?

"Troy Titus" <TroyTitus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> Michael,
> So after I have upgraded my old (PDC) to W2K3 and it has now become
an
> Active Directory Server. I can than setup my current W2K3 Server to
become
> an Active Directory Server and than run the DCPROMO from my current W2K3
> Server?

Not exactly. <g> DCPROMO is a process which installs the AD. Once your
existing PDC is upgraded to W2k3 and the AD domain / DNS is in place you
run DCPROMO on the new W2k3 server to make it a AD DC.

> One other note: I have a (BDC) Server at a remote site that needs to
> be upgraded to W2K3 to support their new AUTOCAD Software. Can I upgrade
the
> (BDC) box before I upgrade my (PDC) or do I have to upgrade the (PDC) box
> first?

No you can't. You have to upgrade the PDC first. Make sure you keep the
domain functional level pre-Windows 2000 until all NT BDCs have been
upgraded
to W2k3.

Michael,
Question regarding the BDC running AUTOCAD that needs to be upgraded to
W2K3 Server.
Do I unjoin the BDC from the PDC and than upgrade to W2K3?

"Troy Titus" wrote:

> Michael,
> So after I have upgraded my old (PDC) to W2K3 and it has now become an
> Active Directory Server. I can than setup my current W2K3 Server to become
> an Active Directory Server and than run the DCPROMO from my current W2K3
> Server?
>
> One other note: I have a (BDC) Server at a remote site that needs to
> be upgraded to W2K3 to support their new AUTOCAD Software. Can I upgrade the
> (BDC) box before I upgrade my (PDC) or do I have to upgrade the (PDC) box
> first?
>
> "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:
>
> > DCPROMO is the program which makes your W2k3
> > server an AD server by installing the AD.
> >

> > "Troy Titus" <TroyTitus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> > > Then do I make my current W2K3 Server an Active Directory Server once I
> > have
> > > upgraded the NT4 (PDC) Server, so that I can run the DCPROMO?

You can leave the existing BDC in place until
you are ready to upgrade just make sure the
domain functional level is set for down level,
pre-Windows 2000.