NT 4 PDC will not authenticate when BDC is down

Ran into a problem today. My BDC locked up. No users were able to
authenticate to my PDC. PDC Has wins running and no changes have been
made to the LMHOSTS file on either controller.

Anyone run into this before?

Thanks in advance.

Open a dos prompt on the PDC and run nbtstat -n
and verify there are no conflicts, particularly the domain
name 1c group name for DCs. This NetBIOS name
must be resolved in order for find a DC for authentication.
The 1c record contains at least the tcp/ip address of the PDC
and all BDCs on the domain up to 25 BDCs. If there is a
conflict then reboot the PDC to clear it out.