Processor upgrade advice please?

At the moment I have a GA-7N400 pro 2 mobo with nforce chipset 2 running
a Athlon XP2500+ barton processor. I would like to upgrade the processor
as new software and games are wanting more out of a processor. But I
don't know which one I should look at getting?

Should I get a AthlonXP 3200+(Barton,.13u) or should I get the K7
Sempron 3000+ or is there anything else on the market?

The mobo I have can run either but I don't know if it would need
flashing for the Athlonxp 3200+. But it will need to be updated for the
K7 Sempron?

what do you guys think?

cheers
5 answers Last reply
More about processor upgrade advice please

    hold out for a little longer then upgrade to amd 64, not worth
    upgrading so little, the bartons still cost quite a bit anyways

    Brian wrote:
    > At the moment I have a GA-7N400 pro 2 mobo with nforce chipset 2 running
    > a Athlon XP2500+ barton processor. I would like to upgrade the processor
    > as new software and games are wanting more out of a processor. But I
    > don't know which one I should look at getting?
    >
    > Should I get a AthlonXP 3200+(Barton,.13u) or should I get the K7
    > Sempron 3000+ or is there anything else on the market?
    >
    > The mobo I have can run either but I don't know if it would need
    > flashing for the Athlonxp 3200+. But it will need to be updated for the
    > K7 Sempron?
    >
    > what do you guys think?
    >
    > cheers
    I would try overclocking first, and then go for the XP.

    Marc

    Marc Hulsebosch wrote:
    > Brian wrote:
    >
    >> At the moment I have a GA-7N400 pro 2 mobo with nforce chipset 2
    >> running a Athlon XP2500+ barton processor. I would like to upgrade the
    >> processor as new software and games are wanting more out of a
    >> processor. But I don't know which one I should look at getting?
    >>
    >> Should I get a AthlonXP 3200+(Barton,.13u) or should I get the K7
    >> Sempron 3000+ or is there anything else on the market?
    >>
    >> The mobo I have can run either but I don't know if it would need
    >> flashing for the Athlonxp 3200+. But it will need to be updated for
    >> the K7 Sempron?
    >>
    >> what do you guys think?
    >>
    >> cheers
    >
    > I would try overclocking first, and then go for the XP.
    >
    > Marc

    I was going to try an overclock but I've never done it, do you know of a
    web site on how to do it set it up for my mobo?

    cheers

    BlastUK wrote:
    > hold out for a little longer then upgrade to amd 64, not worth
    > upgrading so little, the bartons still cost quite a bit anyways
    > Brian wrote:

    I was going to look into that but on the gigabyte web site there doesn't
    seem to be updates for the GA-7N400 pro2 nforce mobo and the AMD 64 yet....

    "Brian" <bri_competitions_NO_SPAM@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > BlastUK wrote:
    > > hold out for a little longer then upgrade to amd 64, not worth
    > > upgrading so little, the bartons still cost quite a bit anyways
    > > Brian wrote:
    >
    > I was going to look into that but on the gigabyte web site there doesn't
    > seem to be updates for the GA-7N400 pro2 nforce mobo and the AMD 64
    yet....

    AMD64 will require new motherboard, but upgrade from XP2500 to XP3000
    notworth the trouble for 33% increase, unless you get CPU at bargain price.
    Mike.

Homebuilt Hardware Processors Systems Product