Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Processor upgrade advice please?

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 5, 2005 8:07:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

At the moment I have a GA-7N400 pro 2 mobo with nforce chipset 2 running
a Athlon XP2500+ barton processor. I would like to upgrade the processor
as new software and games are wanting more out of a processor. But I
don't know which one I should look at getting?

Should I get a AthlonXP 3200+(Barton,.13u) or should I get the K7
Sempron 3000+ or is there anything else on the market?

The mobo I have can run either but I don't know if it would need
flashing for the Athlonxp 3200+. But it will need to be updated for the
K7 Sempron?

what do you guys think?

cheers
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 5, 2005 8:07:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

hold out for a little longer then upgrade to amd 64, not worth
upgrading so little, the bartons still cost quite a bit anyways
Brian wrote:
> At the moment I have a GA-7N400 pro 2 mobo with nforce chipset 2 running
> a Athlon XP2500+ barton processor. I would like to upgrade the processor
> as new software and games are wanting more out of a processor. But I
> don't know which one I should look at getting?
>
> Should I get a AthlonXP 3200+(Barton,.13u) or should I get the K7
> Sempron 3000+ or is there anything else on the market?
>
> The mobo I have can run either but I don't know if it would need
> flashing for the Athlonxp 3200+. But it will need to be updated for the
> K7 Sempron?
>
> what do you guys think?
>
> cheers
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 5, 2005 10:44:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Brian wrote:
> At the moment I have a GA-7N400 pro 2 mobo with nforce chipset 2 running
> a Athlon XP2500+ barton processor. I would like to upgrade the processor
> as new software and games are wanting more out of a processor. But I
> don't know which one I should look at getting?
>
> Should I get a AthlonXP 3200+(Barton,.13u) or should I get the K7
> Sempron 3000+ or is there anything else on the market?
>
> The mobo I have can run either but I don't know if it would need
> flashing for the Athlonxp 3200+. But it will need to be updated for the
> K7 Sempron?
>
> what do you guys think?
>
> cheers
I would try overclocking first, and then go for the XP.

Marc
Related resources
September 5, 2005 11:31:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Marc Hulsebosch wrote:
> Brian wrote:
>
>> At the moment I have a GA-7N400 pro 2 mobo with nforce chipset 2
>> running a Athlon XP2500+ barton processor. I would like to upgrade the
>> processor as new software and games are wanting more out of a
>> processor. But I don't know which one I should look at getting?
>>
>> Should I get a AthlonXP 3200+(Barton,.13u) or should I get the K7
>> Sempron 3000+ or is there anything else on the market?
>>
>> The mobo I have can run either but I don't know if it would need
>> flashing for the Athlonxp 3200+. But it will need to be updated for
>> the K7 Sempron?
>>
>> what do you guys think?
>>
>> cheers
>
> I would try overclocking first, and then go for the XP.
>
> Marc

I was going to try an overclock but I've never done it, do you know of a
web site on how to do it set it up for my mobo?

cheers
September 5, 2005 11:51:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

BlastUK wrote:
> hold out for a little longer then upgrade to amd 64, not worth
> upgrading so little, the bartons still cost quite a bit anyways
> Brian wrote:

I was going to look into that but on the gigabyte web site there doesn't
seem to be updates for the GA-7N400 pro2 nforce mobo and the AMD 64 yet....
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 6, 2005 2:04:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Brian" <bri_competitions_NO_SPAM@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:aLmdnd8nudMGDoHeRVnyiQ@pipex.net...
> BlastUK wrote:
> > hold out for a little longer then upgrade to amd 64, not worth
> > upgrading so little, the bartons still cost quite a bit anyways
> > Brian wrote:
>
> I was going to look into that but on the gigabyte web site there doesn't
> seem to be updates for the GA-7N400 pro2 nforce mobo and the AMD 64
yet....

AMD64 will require new motherboard, but upgrade from XP2500 to XP3000
notworth the trouble for 33% increase, unless you get CPU at bargain price.
Mike.
!