Wi-Fi Home Networking Problem

Ok, here's the deal. I have my desktop and my laptop on a home network with
cable internet connected via a wireless router. They are both using fully
updated XP Home SP2. They connect fine as far as the laptop being able to
connect to the internet, but when it comes to sharing files/printers/etc...
nothing. When I go to My Network Places on my laptop and click on view
workgroup computers I get this message: "Joshs is not accessible. You might
not have permission to use this network resourse. Contact the administrator
of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path
was not found." Joshs is the workgroup which both computers are a member of,
and both computers have different computer names. This is really frustrating.
Thanks for your help.

P.S. I disabled the XP Home SP2 firewall on my laptop because I'm running
Norton Internet Security on my desktop(host). I only have one IP address
which is being used on both the desktop and the laptop.

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

There have been several issues with Norton and connectivity, so you might
check there.

Can you ping the router and the other computer? If you can ping using an
address, can you ping by name?

Do you have NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled (normally enabled by default)?

Do you have file and print sharing enabled?

Is there a firewall in the router?

>I only have one IP address
> which is being used on both the desktop and the laptop<

I don't understand this statement. Your laptop and desktop should be using
addresses something like 192.168.1.X. Each computer has to have it's own
address. The router should be the only thing using your 1 IP address and it
should be allocating the other addresses using DHCP.

There are many websites dedicated to setting up a LAN, you might search for
one of those. Here is one to get your started.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/default.mspx

Clark

To test, you might want to turn off all security and maybe unplug from the
net until you get your LAN working."David Carlson" <David
Carlson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok, here's the deal. I have my desktop and my laptop on a home network
> with
> cable internet connected via a wireless router. They are both using fully
> updated XP Home SP2. They connect fine as far as the laptop being able to
> connect to the internet, but when it comes to sharing
> files/printers/etc...
> nothing. When I go to My Network Places on my laptop and click on view
> workgroup computers I get this message: "Joshs is not accessible. You
> might
> not have permission to use this network resourse. Contact the
> administrator
> of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network
> path
> was not found." Joshs is the workgroup which both computers are a member
> of,
> and both computers have different computer names. This is really
> frustrating.
> Thanks for your help.
>
> P.S. I disabled the XP Home SP2 firewall on my laptop because I'm running
> Norton Internet Security on my desktop(host). I only have one IP address
> which is being used on both the desktop and the laptop.

When I check the IP addresses on both computers they come up with the same
thing: 192.168.*.*** All packets are dropped when trying to ping from one to
the other. File & print sharing is enabled as well as TCP/IP, but I can't
find NetBIOS to install. I have disabled all firewalls. How would I unplug
from the net? Just unplug the cable modem but keep the pc's connected via
the router? I have the Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router and I'm not sure
how to disable the firewall if it has one. Thank you very much for helping
me "Clark".

"Clark" wrote:

> There have been several issues with Norton and connectivity, so you might
> check there.
>
> Can you ping the router and the other computer? If you can ping using an
> address, can you ping by name?
>
> Do you have NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled (normally enabled by default)?
>
> Do you have file and print sharing enabled?
>
> Is there a firewall in the router?
>
> >I only have one IP address
> > which is being used on both the desktop and the laptop<
>
> I don't understand this statement. Your laptop and desktop should be using
> addresses something like 192.168.1.X. Each computer has to have it's own
> address. The router should be the only thing using your 1 IP address and it
> should be allocating the other addresses using DHCP.
>
> There are many websites dedicated to setting up a LAN, you might search for
> one of those. Here is one to get your started.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/default.mspx
>
> Clark
>
> To test, you might want to turn off all security and maybe unplug from the
> net until you get your LAN working."David Carlson" <David
> Carlson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ok, here's the deal. I have my desktop and my laptop on a home network
> > with
> > cable internet connected via a wireless router. They are both using fully
> > updated XP Home SP2. They connect fine as far as the laptop being able to
> > connect to the internet, but when it comes to sharing
> > files/printers/etc...
> > nothing. When I go to My Network Places on my laptop and click on view
> > workgroup computers I get this message: "Joshs is not accessible. You
> > might
> > not have permission to use this network resourse. Contact the
> > administrator
> > of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network
> > path
> > was not found." Joshs is the workgroup which both computers are a member
> > of,
> > and both computers have different computer names. This is really
> > frustrating.
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > P.S. I disabled the XP Home SP2 firewall on my laptop because I'm running
> > Norton Internet Security on my desktop(host). I only have one IP address
> > which is being used on both the desktop and the laptop.

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

You are being too vague, do both computers have the exact address or vary by
the last number only?

Netbios is on the TCP/IP Properties-advanced-wins. "Use Netbios over
TCP/IP", but if you can't ping just the address, that is not a problem yet.

That router allows you to ping an address from the router, so you might try
that to see if it can talk to both computers. Can you get to the router
setup page OK? Can you ping just the router-192.168.1.1? All this pinging
is just trying to find out where you have connectivity. When you get it so
it will ping, you are close to a solution. There may be a situation where
the pings (ICMP) are being blocked by something such as a firewall. It
doesn't look like the router security would be causing you problems, so you
can leave it alone.

Sometimes shutting everything down and rebooting will help (bring back
router first). Did you look into the Norton situation?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308007

Clark

> [...]
>> > workgroup computers I get this message: "Joshs is not accessible. You
>> > might
>> > not have permission to use this network resourse. Contact the
>> > administrator
>> > of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network
>> > path
>> > was not found." Joshs is the workgroup which both computers are a
>> > member
>> > of,
>> > and both computers have different computer names. This is really
>> > frustrating.
>> > Thanks for your help.
>> >
>> > P.S. I disabled the XP Home SP2 firewall on my laptop because I'm
>> > running
>> > Norton Internet Security on my desktop(host). I only have one IP
>> > address
>> > which is being used on both the desktop and the laptop.

bren

David try this
1 open norton security/personal firewall/configure
click network tab-settings and ensure home active is on.
2 click Trust site, put ip addresses in. click Locations tab and check
Network detector is on. ok out of norton.
keep firewalls on and re-boot all. modem then router then pc's. all should
work .
Bren

mine is setup this way and is wireless laptop and desktop on cable
internet, and i have no problems