Ouya's Kickstarter Closes with Over $8 Million in Funding

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdkdkdk

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
minus 5% for the kickstarter fee, and another 2-5% for the Amazon credit card charge fee, so that brings the value down to about 8M flat. Keep in mind: with that money ouya is obligated to build and ship around 58 thousand ouya consoles and at least 61 thousand controllers (probably more controllers). Assuming a console and controller cost around $100 for each pair (which is reasonable given the parts list), then you need to figure around 6M out of that 8M is already accounted for. Yes, they raised quite a bit of money, but only 2M can go to pay for staff for technical, sales and marketing, and operations and management. That is around roughly funding for 10 man-years, a good amount, but not as large a windfall as many are probably assuming.

fedelm

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
I don't understand the point of this console, anyone care to explain it to me like I'm a two year old?

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Tegra 3 will be very outdated when this console is released...
So the release date is supposed to be April 2013, but it will have weaker graphics than the friggin' now-year-old ipad 2.

killerchickens

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]fedelm[/nom]I don't understand the point of this console, anyone care to explain it to me like I'm a two year old?[/citation]

The point of this console is to make it easy to get into the game development market it cost a lot of $$$ to make a game for the other consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.