Domain Controllers

Mac

In the process of migrating from NT4 to 2000 AD we promoted a new BDC to PDC
status. The original PDC does not see the new PDC as a PDC. The error of "no
PDC for the domain can be located" occurs on the old PDC. Any ideas on how to
fix this issue? Both are push/pull WINS servers running DNS.

thx

Is it possible you have WINS running on the new machine
but do not have it registering itself as the primary and secondary
WINS server in it's tcp/ip properties?

If not open a dos prompt on the old PDC and run net accounts
and look at the server role field. It should say backup. Now
open a dos prompt and run nbtstat -n on the old PDC and verify
it is not still registering the domain name 1b unique name for domains.

If everything still checks out then open a dos prompt on the old PDC
and run nbtstat -c. Do you see a domain name 1c entry? If so, what
is the TTL or time to live? If it is -1 you've got an entry in your lmhosts
file preloading the 1b entry. You must remove the entry from the lmhosts
file and open a dos prompt and run nbtstat -R to purge and reload the
cache now attempt to open user manager for domains. If it stil fails then
immediately after attempting to open user manager open a dos prompt and
run nbtstat -c. Note the 1b entry. If it is incorrect then open the WINS
database and sort by name then delete the 1b entry and reboot the new
PDC.

"mac" <mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> In the process of migrating from NT4 to 2000 AD we promoted a new BDC to
PDC
> status. The original PDC does not see the new PDC as a PDC. The error of
"no
> PDC for the domain can be located" occurs on the old PDC. Any ideas on how
> fix this issue? Both are push/pull WINS servers running DNS.
>
> thx

Mac

thanks for the detailed help. this did resolve the issue.

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> Is it possible you have WINS running on the new machine
> but do not have it registering itself as the primary and secondary
> WINS server in it's tcp/ip properties?
>
> If not open a dos prompt on the old PDC and run net accounts
> and look at the server role field. It should say backup. Now
> open a dos prompt and run nbtstat -n on the old PDC and verify
> it is not still registering the domain name 1b unique name for domains.
>
> If everything still checks out then open a dos prompt on the old PDC
> and run nbtstat -c. Do you see a domain name 1c entry? If so, what
> is the TTL or time to live? If it is -1 you've got an entry in your lmhosts
> file preloading the 1b entry. You must remove the entry from the lmhosts
> file and open a dos prompt and run nbtstat -R to purge and reload the
> cache now attempt to open user manager for domains. If it stil fails then
> immediately after attempting to open user manager open a dos prompt and
> run nbtstat -c. Note the 1b entry. If it is incorrect then open the WINS
> database and sort by name then delete the 1b entry and reboot the new
> PDC.
>

> "mac" <mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> > In the process of migrating from NT4 to 2000 AD we promoted a new BDC to
> PDC
> > status. The original PDC does not see the new PDC as a PDC. The error of
> "no
> > PDC for the domain can be located" occurs on the old PDC. Any ideas on how
> > fix this issue? Both are push/pull WINS servers running DNS.
> >
> > thx

Your welcome, glad to help.