NT4 to W2k3 in place upgrade - roll back - offline pdc fai..

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Hi....

We are carrying out some testing for an inplace upgrade, part of the testing
includes the DR in the event a rolback is required from the offline PDC.

We successfully carried out the inplace upgrade and all worked well, however
when we tested to see if the offline BDC would recreate the original
environment, all workstations and servers in the test environment failed to
connect to server.

Our resolution to this was to remove and the add the computer accounts back
into the NT domain, then it worked.

We are querying if this failed when we added the 2nd W2K3 DC or when we
removed the last NT BDC from the domain.

We promoted the offline BDC and it said that it synchronised without any
errors.
The only error we recieved was on the worksations...event id:5791.

I think this is a major concern for all those IT personnel out there that
are refering to the book of bringing the offline BDC back online, without
actually testing in lab environment...

Any ideas why this would fail.
Cheers Yusuf

You say they failed to connect to the server then went
on to re-add them back to the domain which has nothing
with connectivity. I suspect there was an error or conflict
with the domain name 1c group name for DCs on your
offline machine. A reboot could have cleared the issue.
If you reproduce the error again open a dos prompt on
the offline BDC and run nbtstat -n and verify there are
not conflicts with the NetBIOS name table.