Migration from NT Domain to Win 2003

Hi,

I have PDC and BDC as Windows NT server. And now I am planning to upgrade it
to Windows 2003 Server. The problem to me is existing Hardware Configuraion
of PDC and BDC does not support Windows 2003 Server.

Now, how do I upgrade the WIN NT domain to Windows 2003 server and yet
retain all the Domain User Account on new Windows 2003 server.
What are the considerations need to be taken into account?.

Regards,
AK

Bring new server into your existing domain as a BDC
then promote it to primary and upgrade to W2k3.

"ak555" <ak555@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> Hi,
>
> I have PDC and BDC as Windows NT server. And now I am planning to upgrade
it
> to Windows 2003 Server. The problem to me is existing Hardware
Configuraion
> of PDC and BDC does not support Windows 2003 Server.
>
> Now, how do I upgrade the WIN NT domain to Windows 2003 server and yet
> retain all the Domain User Account on new Windows 2003 server.
> What are the considerations need to be taken into account?.
>
> Regards,
> AK

I'm in the same boat as ak555 except that the new server I have that I want
to become my first Server 2003 domain controller will not run NT4. I only
have about 80 computers and users in my domain. Can just do a Server 2003
install from scratch on my new hardware and enter computer and user
information in Active Directory directly? How do I switch everyone from my
NT4 domain to the Server 2003 domain? Any pitfalls? My NT4 domain also
contains an Exchange 5.5 server that I plan on upgrading to Exchange Server
2003 as a next step. Can I temporarily join the Exchange 5.5 server to the
Server 2003 domain without issues prior to upgrading?

Thanks,

Scott

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> Bring new server into your existing domain as a BDC
> then promote it to primary and upgrade to W2k3.
>
> "ak555" <ak555@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have PDC and BDC as Windows NT server. And now I am planning to upgrade
> it
> > to Windows 2003 Server. The problem to me is existing Hardware
> Configuraion
> > of PDC and BDC does not support Windows 2003 Server.
> >
> > Now, how do I upgrade the WIN NT domain to Windows 2003 server and yet
> > retain all the Domain User Account on new Windows 2003 server.
> > What are the considerations need to be taken into account?.
> >
> > Regards,
> > AK

You can certainly create a new domain, recreate all
of your user accounts and rejoin all computers to the
new domain. If the Exchange server is a member
server you can have it join your new domain but I
would first check with the Exchange folks in the
publick Exchange groups.

You could create the new W2k3 domain and migrate
your information using the ADMT:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=788975b1-5849-4707-9817-8c9773c25c6c&DisplayLang=en