Windows Vista Hardware Requirements

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
September 8, 2005 1:11:37 PM

Tom's Hardware has posted an article that purports that Vista may require 2
GB of DDR3 RAM in order to run. And that's just for starters.
Read here: http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050908_100000.ht...

--
DaveW
__________

"DaveW" <nowhere@dot.org> wrote in message
> Tom's Hardware has posted an article that purports that Vista may require
> 2 GB of DDR3 RAM in order to run. And that's just for starters.
> Read here: http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050908_100000.ht...

Hardware will catch up to the "Holiday 2006" release date. Besides,
Microsoft has bigger software problems right now. Their OpenGL
implementation is a dog. .NET is still up in the air, or at least its Java
like promises are a long ways off. The WinFX world is foggy as hell right
now. Gamers are out. Servers don't need the eye candy. And developers
are chasing dangling carrots hoping to master this land of confusion (curb
the market on newly ported software). Damn, I hate Microsoft.
September 8, 2005 9:08:33 PM

Where would the computer industry be without MS? You hate MS yet they are
responsible for pushing computers to where they are today........still
installing xinux are you?

"Brian" <brian@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> "DaveW" <nowhere@dot.org> wrote in message
> > Tom's Hardware has posted an article that purports that Vista may
require
> > 2 GB of DDR3 RAM in order to run. And that's just for starters.
> > Read here: http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050908_100000.ht...
>
> Hardware will catch up to the "Holiday 2006" release date. Besides,
> Microsoft has bigger software problems right now. Their OpenGL
> implementation is a dog. .NET is still up in the air, or at least its
Java
> like promises are a long ways off. The WinFX world is foggy as hell right
> now. Gamers are out. Servers don't need the eye candy. And developers
> are chasing dangling carrots hoping to master this land of confusion (curb
> the market on newly ported software). Damn, I hate Microsoft.

a b B Homebuilt system
September 8, 2005 10:18:20 PM

"Brian" <brian@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> "DaveW" <nowhere@dot.org> wrote in message
>> Tom's Hardware has posted an article that purports that Vista may require
>> 2 GB of DDR3 RAM in order to run. And that's just for starters.
>> Read here: http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050908_100000.ht...
>
> Hardware will catch up to the "Holiday 2006" release date. Besides,
> Microsoft has bigger software problems right now. Their OpenGL
> implementation is a dog. .NET is still up in the air, or at least its
> Java like promises are a long ways off. The WinFX world is foggy as hell
> right now. Gamers are out. Servers don't need the eye candy. And
> developers are chasing dangling carrots hoping to master this land of
> confusion (curb the market on newly ported software). Damn, I hate
> Microsoft.

I'd say that is pretty obvious, so why be concerned with possible problems
with their new operating system? Use the one you have now or learn Linux and
bitch about that. Of course with Linux there is no one person or company to
blame or hate.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 8, 2005 10:23:02 PM

"Brian" <brian@nowhere.com> wrote:

> Hardware will catch up to the "Holiday 2006" release date.
> Besides, Microsoft has bigger software problems right now.
> Their OpenGL implementation is a dog. .NET is still up in the
> air, or at least its Java like promises are a long ways off.
> The WinFX world is foggy as hell right now. Gamers are out.

Not sure what you mean. Gaming is just fine on Windows XP.

> ... Damn, I hate Microsoft.

I just wish Microsoft would have been corrected. But our current
(United States) administration is all for "might makes right". It
doesn't know that businesses must play by rules. That practice is
our current foreign policy as well. Unfortunately, Democrats are
just as gung ho. And all of it is eating away at our country.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 8, 2005 11:24:33 PM

John Doe wrote:
> "Brian" <brian@nowhere.com> wrote:

>>Hardware will catch up to the "Holiday 2006" release date.
>>Besides, Microsoft has bigger software problems right now.
>>Their OpenGL implementation is a dog. .NET is still up in the
>>air, or at least its Java like promises are a long ways off.
>>The WinFX world is foggy as hell right now. Gamers are out.
>

> Not sure what you mean. Gaming is just fine on Windows XP.
>

>>... Damn, I hate Microsoft.
>

> I just wish Microsoft would have been corrected. But our current
> (United States) administration is all for "might makes right". It
> doesn't know that businesses must play by rules. That practice is
> our current foreign policy as well. Unfortunately, Democrats are
> just as gung ho. And all of it is eating away at our country.

Oh sure. Hurricanes would cease, poverty would end, Bin Laden would rejoice
and we'd enter the peace millennium 'if only' Microsoft were 'corrected'.

What in the world are you sniffing/slurping/snorting?
September 9, 2005 12:00:08 AM

"PWY" <pyork22@*mail.com> wrote in message

> "Brian" <brian@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> "DaveW" <nowhere@dot.org> wrote in message
>>> Tom's Hardware has posted an article that purports that Vista may
>>> require 2 GB of DDR3 RAM in order to run. And that's just for starters.
>>> Read here: http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050908_100000.ht...
>>
>> Hardware will catch up to the "Holiday 2006" release date. Besides,
>> Microsoft has bigger software problems right now. Their OpenGL
>> implementation is a dog. .NET is still up in the air, or at least its
>> Java like promises are a long ways off. The WinFX world is foggy as hell
>> right now. Gamers are out. Servers don't need the eye candy. And
>> developers are chasing dangling carrots hoping to master this land of
>> confusion (curb the market on newly ported software). Damn, I hate
>> Microsoft.
>>

> I'd say that is pretty obvious, so why be concerned with possible problems
> with their new operating system?

You seem to be reading more into my post than I inteded: Microsoft has more
software concerns than hardware concerns. Examples listed. Frustration
expressed at learning a new API that's a moving target.

> Use the one you have now or learn Linux and bitch about that.

You're bitching about me bitching. Clever. Or stupid. Whichever.

> Of course with Linux there is no one person or company to blame or hate.

So your own analogy is flawed. Few can pull off the "opensource is just
like Microsoft" argument.

But since you started the topic, why do you think my personal OS choice has
any bearing on the industry trends at all? A new Microsoft OS will be
released. A new version of Office will be released. *Developers will adopt
Vista*. Consumers will adopt Vista. Microsoft will eventually drop support
for XP. Businesses will adopt Vista. Hardware will move to 64-bits. Vista
will be preferred over XP/32. Hardware will move to multiple cores.
Software will be developed for multiple cores, but target the Vista
platform. Software will be developed for 64-bit but target the Vista
platform.

The forward momentum started years ago. Microsoft deserves some bitching
for getting too ambitious in world domination.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 9, 2005 3:13:41 AM

In article <aridnQrgrrIk_73eRVn-uQ@comcast.com>, DaveW says...
> Tom's Hardware has posted an article that purports that Vista may require 2
> GB of DDR3 RAM in order to run. And that's just for starters.
> Read here: http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050908_100000.ht...

And its bollocks considering the BETA runs fine on current hardware.
Vista is no more than XP with a few whistles and bells added.

--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 9, 2005 3:22:29 AM

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 23:13:41 +0100, Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com>
wrote:

>And its bollocks considering the BETA runs fine on current hardware.
>Vista is no more than XP with a few whistles and bells added.

It's my understanding that Vista will adapt to your hardware so while
it will run with all the eye candy etc. on dual 64 cpu, 512mb video
card, DATA2 HDD, and 2gb of ram it will also run fine on a lower end
system. It will lower the graphics qaulity of the GUI etc. to match
your hardware.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 9, 2005 8:03:49 AM

David Maynard <nospam private.net> wrote:
> John Doe wrote:

>> Have you seen the picture of our president smiling and playing with
>> a guitar while people were drowning in hurricane Katrina?

> Get a clue.

Obviously that fact rubs you the wrong way.

Cope with it.

> From: David Maynard <nospam private.net>
> Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
> Subject: Re: Windows Vista Hardware Requirements
> Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 22:40:28 -0500

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 9, 2005 8:03:50 AM

John Doe wrote:

> David Maynard <nospam private.net> wrote:
>
>>John Doe wrote:

>>>Have you seen the picture of our president smiling and playing with
>>>a guitar while people were drowning in hurricane Katrina?
>

>>Get a clue.
>

> Obviously that fact rubs you the wrong way.
>
> Cope with it.

You wouldn't know what a 'fact' was if it bit you on the nose, as is
evidenced by you snipping what really are 'facts'.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 9, 2005 9:31:38 PM

David Maynard <nospam@private.net> wrote:

> You wouldn't know what a 'fact' was if it bit you on the nose,
> as is evidenced by you snipping what really are 'facts'.

All I presented was a single, simple fact. That our president was
smiling and playing with a guitar in front of an audience while
thousands of people were drowning in hurricane Katrina. Maybe
implied, but I expressed no comment. What part of the fact is
difficult to understand?

OUR PRESIDENT WAS SMILING AND PLAYING WITH A GUITAR IN FRONT
OF AN AUDIENCE WHILE AT THE SAME TIME THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE WERE
DROWNING IN HURRICANE KATRINA

And David Maynard makes pathetic excuses for that. That's just
pathetic.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 10, 2005 12:50:21 AM

John Doe wrote:

> David Maynard <nospam@private.net> wrote:
>

>>You wouldn't know what a 'fact' was if it bit you on the nose,
>>as is evidenced by you snipping what really are 'facts'.
>

> All I presented was a single, simple fact. That our president was
> smiling and playing with a guitar in front of an audience while
> thousands of people were drowning in hurricane Katrina. Maybe
> implied, but I expressed no comment. What part of the fact is
> difficult to understand?
>
> OUR PRESIDENT WAS SMILING AND PLAYING WITH A GUITAR IN FRONT
> OF AN AUDIENCE WHILE AT THE SAME TIME THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE WERE
> DROWNING IN HURRICANE KATRINA
>
> And David Maynard makes pathetic excuses for that. That's just
> pathetic.

Thank you. That's precisely the ignorant, mindless, rabid drivel I was
alluding to.

Yes, the 'picture' exists. So do pictures of the Grand Canyon and if guitar
playing suits your fancy Willy Nelson comes to mind. Or, if you prefer
electric, pick any rock band because they're all just as irrelevant to the
Katrina disaster and contribute not one thing other than to provide
gibberish for the mad dog, frothing mouth lunatic fringe to babble about.
Not that they needed that particular picture. If it didn't exist they'd
dream up something else equally moronic, thinking themselves clever for
doing so, such as "Bush turns on light bulb while New Orleans in the dark"
or "Bush takes a leak while New Orleans a sewer."

And that's the sort of idiotic drivel you call "a simple fact." Simpleton,
yes. 'Fact' of any substance, no.

The real 'facts' are that Bush made an emergency declaration on August 27,
two days before the storm hit on August 29, so that federal and private aid
was prepositioned, primed and ready to go, at the beck and call of the duly
elected State and Local Governments who are the ONLY Constitutionally
authorized entities for those matters. They not only failed to beckon but
specifically and intentionally BLOCKED aid from entering the region, to
prevent the shelters from becoming "magnets," while, at the same time,
failing to provide adequate means for those who were trapped to get out.

And there's not a blessed thing Bush could Constitutionally do about it,
whether or not he eschewed guitar playing, turned off light bulbs, or held
his water for 2 weeks, until the State and Local Governments finally
acquiesced and allowed aid to flow.

That is, unless the mad dog, frothing mouth, lunatic fringe has decided to
elevate Bush to the status of 'King' so that he may invade any State
whenever he feels they aren't doing things the way he'd like.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 10, 2005 2:05:57 AM

In article <6ph1i1tt9o6oehblv0vi1ninq1gj39hhuv@4ax.com>, Praxiteles
Democritus says...
> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 23:13:41 +0100, Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >And its bollocks considering the BETA runs fine on current hardware.
> >Vista is no more than XP with a few whistles and bells added.
>
> It's my understanding that Vista will adapt to your hardware so while
> it will run with all the eye candy etc. on dual 64 cpu, 512mb video
> card, DATA2 HDD, and 2gb of ram it will also run fine on a lower end
> system. It will lower the graphics qaulity of the GUI etc. to match
> your hardware.

Exactly.

--

!