Memtest86 help

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
September 9, 2005 5:58:03 PM

Hi,

I don't know if anyone is familiar with memtest86 but i have been running it
on some memory i have aquired, trying to determine if it is faulty or not.
The test has reported two errors. Is it normal for there to be a couple of
errors or should it be totally error free?

Thanks

More about : memtest86

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 9, 2005 5:58:04 PM

"obiwanzamora" <obiwanzamora.nonspam@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:432186d3$0$97119$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net...
> Hi,
>
> I don't know if anyone is familiar with memtest86 but i have been running it
> on some memory i have aquired, trying to determine if it is faulty or not.
> The test has reported two errors. Is it normal for there to be a couple of
> errors or should it be totally error free?

"Normal" is no errors, ever -- it should be totally error free.

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com
September 9, 2005 5:58:04 PM

software testing of memory is sketchy at best. 2 errors are probably a false
positive. if you have more than one module then pull one and use the machine
for awhile. To truly know, the module should be hardware checked.

"obiwanzamora" <obiwanzamora.nonspam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I don't know if anyone is familiar with memtest86 but i have been running
it
> on some memory i have aquired, trying to determine if it is faulty or not.
> The test has reported two errors. Is it normal for there to be a couple of
> errors or should it be totally error free?
>
> Thanks

a b B Homebuilt system
September 9, 2005 5:58:04 PM

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 13:58:03 +0100, obiwanzamora wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know if anyone is familiar with memtest86 but i have been running it
> on some memory i have aquired, trying to determine if it is faulty or not.
> The test has reported two errors. Is it normal for there to be a couple of
> errors or should it be totally error free?
>
> Thanks

Is it repeatable? If so, you have a problem. You can't count on your system
remaining stable if it can't remember 100% of what is written to memory.
One bad bit can wreak havoc.

Brad H
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 10, 2005 12:57:42 AM

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message news:bGhUe.8185$tc7.7299@fe03.lga...
> software testing of memory is sketchy at best. 2 errors are probably a false
> positive.

There's no such thing as a false positive with memtest86. If memtest86
sees an error, it's not necessarily a faulty dram -- could be the dram needs
reseating -- could be edgy bios settings, for example. But there is very
definitely a problem that needs to be solved.

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

if you have more than one module then pull one and use the machine
> for awhile. To truly know, the module should be hardware checked.
>
> "obiwanzamora" <obiwanzamora.nonspam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't know if anyone is familiar with memtest86 but i have been running
> it
>> on some memory i have aquired, trying to determine if it is faulty or not.
>> The test has reported two errors. Is it normal for there to be a couple of
>> errors or should it be totally error free?
>>
>> Thanks

September 10, 2005 12:57:43 AM

uh huh...you wrote the software? whats gnu with you?

"Bob Day" <xxxxxx@yyyyyy.com> wrote in message
> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> > software testing of memory is sketchy at best. 2 errors are probably a
false
> > positive.
>
> There's no such thing as a false positive with memtest86. If memtest86
> sees an error, it's not necessarily a faulty dram -- could be the dram
needs
> reseating -- could be edgy bios settings, for example. But there is very
> definitely a problem that needs to be solved.
>
> -- Bob Day
> http://bobday.vze.com
>

> if you have more than one module then pull one and use the machine
> > for awhile. To truly know, the module should be hardware checked.
> >
> > "obiwanzamora" <obiwanzamora.nonspam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I don't know if anyone is familiar with memtest86 but i have been
running
> > it
> >> on some memory i have aquired, trying to determine if it is faulty or
not.
> >> The test has reported two errors. Is it normal for there to be a couple
of
> >> errors or should it be totally error free?
> >>
> >> Thanks

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 10, 2005 1:35:23 AM

obiwanzamora wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know if anyone is familiar with memtest86 but i have been running it
> on some memory i have aquired, trying to determine if it is faulty or not.
> The test has reported two errors. Is it normal for there to be a couple of
> errors or should it be totally error free?
>
> Thanks

Should be error free. That said, I had a bad motherboard once result in
errors being reported on any RAM I put in that board, so there's always
the slim chance that there's a motherboard fault and not a DRAM fault.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 10, 2005 1:50:39 AM

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message news:X6nUe.32993$1g2.29793@fe05.lga...
> uh huh...you wrote the software? whats gnu with you?

OK, since you brought up the idea, you explain it --
just how could there be a "false positive" ?

-- Bob Day

> "Bob Day" <xxxxxx@yyyyyy.com> wrote in message
>> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
>> > software testing of memory is sketchy at best. 2 errors are probably a
> false
>> > positive.
>>
>> There's no such thing as a false positive with memtest86. If memtest86
>> sees an error, it's not necessarily a faulty dram -- could be the dram
> needs
>> reseating -- could be edgy bios settings, for example. But there is very
>> definitely a problem that needs to be solved.
>>
>> -- Bob Day
>> http://bobday.vze.com
>>

>> if you have more than one module then pull one and use the machine
>> > for awhile. To truly know, the module should be hardware checked.
>> >
>> > "obiwanzamora" <obiwanzamora.nonspam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> running
>> > it
> not.
> of

September 10, 2005 1:50:40 AM

that is to say that the USER does everything exactly the way it should be
done

F/P could be created by a ....power fluctuation...therefore a problem is
found but its a power problem not memory.

"Bob Day" <xxxxxx@yyyyyy.com> wrote in message
news:p snUe.423$3b6.246@trndny07...
> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> > uh huh...you wrote the software? whats gnu with you?
>
> OK, since you brought up the idea, you explain it --
> just how could there be a "false positive" ?
>
> -- Bob Day
>

> > "Bob Day" <xxxxxx@yyyyyy.com> wrote in message
> >> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> > false
> >>
> >> There's no such thing as a false positive with memtest86. If memtest86
> >> sees an error, it's not necessarily a faulty dram -- could be the dram
> > needs
> >> reseating -- could be edgy bios settings, for example. But there is
very
> >> definitely a problem that needs to be solved.
> >>
> >> -- Bob Day
> >> http://bobday.vze.com
> >>

> >> if you have more than one module then pull one and use the machine

> > running
> > not.
> > of

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 10, 2005 5:12:48 AM

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 20:57:42 GMT As Androids Dreamed Of Electric Sheep
and then "Bob Day" <xxxxxx@yyyyyy.com> wrote :

>"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message news:bGhUe.8185$tc7.7299@fe03.lga...
>> software testing of memory is sketchy at best. 2 errors are probably a false
>> positive.
>
>There's no such thing as a false positive with memtest86.

Wrong.
Post absolute evidence of your statement please with at least 30 links
as proof including software memory testers against professional
hardware memory testers including all mother board brand makes and ram
makes and methods used and handling of the RAM when installed.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
a b B Homebuilt system

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 08:15:04 -0700 As Androids Dreamed Of Electric
Sheep and then "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote :

>software testing of memory is sketchy at best. 2 errors are probably a false
>positive. if you have more than one module then pull one and use the machine
>for awhile. To truly know, the module should be hardware checked.

Right on :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
a b B Homebuilt system

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message news:D 5oUe.8251$tc7.2306@fe03.lga...
> that is to say that the USER does everything exactly the way it should be
> done
>
> F/P could be created by a ....power fluctuation...therefore a problem is
> found but its a power problem not memory.

Try again. A power fluctuation is very unlikely to cause just
a memory error. If it did, it would cause a lot more that just
the two the OP experienced. Actually, I can think of three
ways a false positive might occur in the OP's case, but they
are all so remote as not to be worth considering.

-- Bob Day

> "Bob Day" <xxxxxx@yyyyyy.com> wrote in message
> news:p snUe.423$3b6.246@trndny07...
>> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
>> > uh huh...you wrote the software? whats gnu with you?
>>
>> OK, since you brought up the idea, you explain it --
>> just how could there be a "false positive" ?
>>
>> -- Bob Day
>>

>> > "Bob Day" <xxxxxx@yyyyyy.com> wrote in message
>> > false

>> > needs
> very

>> > running
> or
>> > not.
> couple
>> > of

September 10, 2005 5:28:19 PM

<< Try again

no need, you have proven you are NO authority on the subject.

> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
news:D 5oUe.8251$tc7.2306@fe03.lga...
> > that is to say that the USER does everything exactly the way it should
be
> > done
> >
> > F/P could be created by a ....power fluctuation...therefore a problem is
> > found but its a power problem not memory.
>
> Try again. A power fluctuation is very unlikely to cause just
> a memory error. If it did, it would cause a lot more that just
> the two the OP experienced. Actually, I can think of three
> ways a false positive might occur in the OP's case, but they
> are all so remote as not to be worth considering.
>
> -- Bob Day
>

> > "Bob Day" <xxxxxx@yyyyyy.com> wrote in message
> > news:p snUe.423$3b6.246@trndny07...
> >> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> OK, since you brought up the idea, you explain it --
> >> just how could there be a "false positive" ?
> >>
> >> -- Bob Day

> > very

> > or
> > couple

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 10, 2005 10:34:45 PM

Shep© wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 20:57:42 GMT As Androids Dreamed Of Electric Sheep
> and then "Bob Day" <xxxxxx@yyyyyy.com> wrote :
>

>>"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message news:bGhUe.8185$tc7.7299@fe03.lga...
>>
>>>software testing of memory is sketchy at best. 2 errors are probably a false
>>>positive.
>>
>>There's no such thing as a false positive with memtest86.
>

> Wrong.
> Post absolute evidence of your statement please with at least 30 links
> as proof including software memory testers against professional
> hardware memory testers including all mother board brand makes and ram
> makes and methods used and handling of the RAM when installed.

Post a similar level of evidence for your arguement about these software
testers being flawed. Anecdotal stories are just that, stories, no
better than fiction.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2005 3:41:06 AM

JAD wrote:

> "Bob Day" <xxxxxx@yyyyyy.com> wrote in message

> software testing of memory is sketchy at best.
> 2 errors are probably a false positive.

> > There's no such thing as a false positive with
> > memtest86. If memtest86 sees an error, it's not
> > necessarily a faulty dram -- could be the dram
> > needs reseating -- could be edgy bios settings,
> > for example. But there is very definitely a problem
> > that needs to be solved.

> uh huh...you wrote the software? whats gnu with you?

I had several false positives with MemTest ver. 2.x (2.5?). I believe
the author admitted there being a bug in it, and when I tried ver. 3.x
on the same hardware, it detected no errors, and Gold Memory also
passed it.

Aren't false negatives a lot more common with memory diagnostics?

www.realworldtech.com published reviews of memory diagnostics. Gold
Memory beat MemTest86, but both were considered very good. One of the
worst was DocMem, given out at www.simmtester.com, and I've found that
it misses many errors found by the other tests.
!