Trust problem when migrating from NT4 to 2000

Enrique

Distinguished
May 26, 2004

We are moving an NT4 domain to a new 2000 domain.

The old NT4 domain is called nt_domain, the new domain on a W2K Server is
called Company.local.

I began by installing ADMTv2 and following the directions. I got
Company.local to trust nt_domain but nt_domain does not find company (or
company.local for that matter) when I try to reciprocate the trust. So
basically old domain trusts new domain but not vice-versa as per instructions
of the ADMT KB article # 260871.

On the event viewer in company.local, I get:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: NETLOGON
Event Category: None
Event ID: 5721
Date: 5/2/2005
Time: 3:43:40 PM
User: N/A
Computer: TXLDC1
The session setup to the Windows NT or Windows 2000 Domain Controller
<Unknown> for the domain NT_DOMAIN failed because the Domain Controller does
not have an account for the computer TXLDC1.
Data:
0000: 8b 01 00 c0 ‹..À

I created the account for the company.local DC on the old domain as a server
but not a BDC. On the old domain DC, I get the following in the security
event log:

EventID 528
Source: Security
Type: Success Audit
Domain nt_domain
Logon Type 3
Logon Process KSecDD
Auth Package: Microsoft_Authentication_Package_V1_0

But when I try to add the new domain, I get the error that the domain
controller for the new domain could not be found.

I believe that when I get this resolved, I would be able to set up the ADMT
software properly to pull everything over.

Well assuming the domain name with an _ isn't the problem,
(IIRC there was an issue of some kind) I would check two
secuirty settings: Restrict anonymous and LM authentication.
The follow should do the trick:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325874