Net Use Command

Have a domain with a NT4 pdc and win2000 application servers.

Keep getting an error mapping lpt1: on a XP client to a printer one of the
Win2000 servers. Works if the user has admin rights on the client.
Otherwise prompts for username and password then gives an error.

Sean Heath

"Access Denied" I assume? Did you check the permisssions
on the printer?

"Sean.Heath" <heaths@candw.ag> wrote in message news:
> Have a domain with a NT4 pdc and win2000 application servers.
>
> Keep getting an error mapping lpt1: on a XP client to a printer one of the
> Win2000 servers. Works if the user has admin rights on the client.
> Otherwise prompts for username and password then gives an error.
>
> Sean Heath

Yes I did. Permissions allow 'everyone' to use it. The first message we
get is "Password is invalid for systemname (the computer with the printer)
and then a prompt for username and password. After this a error message #5
appears. It seems to have to do with the rights on the local system. Only
a user with administration rights on the local system is allowed to 'net
use' to a network printer.

Sean Heath

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
message news:OXXw6AMUFHA.2872@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> "Access Denied" I assume? Did you check the permisssions
> on the printer?
>
> "Sean.Heath" <heaths@candw.ag> wrote in message news:
>> Have a domain with a NT4 pdc and win2000 application servers.
>>
>> Keep getting an error mapping lpt1: on a XP client to a printer one of
>> the
>> Win2000 servers. Works if the user has admin rights on the client.
>> Otherwise prompts for username and password then gives an error.
>>
>> Sean Heath

Can we assume the server is a member of the domain?
The computer should be forwarding the credentials on
to a domain controller for authentication not the local
machine. You do mean administrator rights on their
local machine not the W2k local machine. What about
a domain admin account?
"Sean.Heath" <heaths@candw.ag> wrote in message news:
> Yes I did. Permissions allow 'everyone' to use it. The first message we
> get is "Password is invalid for systemname (the computer with the printer)
> and then a prompt for username and password. After this a error message
> appears. It seems to have to do with the rights on the local system.
Only
> a user with administration rights on the local system is allowed to 'net
> use' to a network printer.

Yes the W2kServer is a member of the NT4 Domain.

We can connect to the same printer(s) though Windows without having to have
admin rights on the client.

However the user has to have admin rights on the client in order for the
"net use lpt1:" command to work??? Even if the printer is setup and shared
directly on the client machine.

Sean Heath

message news:el3FnjOUFHA.3448@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...