can't connect to juno web via 56k modem

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
September 9, 2005 8:33:22 PM

I have Juno 5.0 installed, fresh install, on a homebrew P2 350 running XP
pro with 192 MB PC100, 5 gig hard drive, and a 56K modem from an old
gateway. The mail feature works fine. However, it won't connect to their
web server. This isn't the free one, but the $15 a month one Juno server.
After about a minute I get a report screen from Juno saying that Windows is
telling it there is no modem installed in the system. It goes on to say
that Juno relys on Windows to tell it about the modem.

I tried 3 different modems with the same result.
Uninstalled and reinstalled Juno after downloading the current version with
the same result.

Windows says all's well. In the diagnostics it says the modem is on irq 11.
I thought i was on to something there because fishing around in the Bios, i
remembered seeing the modem was on IRQ 4. Luckily the bios made it easy to
switch the IRQ to 11, but I still get the same errror message from Juno.

I emailed juno last week and got a generic reply outlining all the things I
had already done to resolve this.

Juno's software, when I query if for a modem setup, sees the modem.

I used both juno's and window's remove hardware feature to uninstall and
reinstall the modem and it's drivers with the same result, it connects to
their email website and does email, but says winows is telling it there is
no modem when I try to connect to the internet server.

I turned off all security features, fire walls, anti-virus, pop up blockers,
spyware blocker, etc., and the same thing occurs, email is fine, won't
connect to the web server. I've been fooling with this for about 3 weeks
and am about to give up on it, but thought I'd post here in case some else
has run into this.

I searched for a ng on juno but couldn't find one.

TIA for any ideas.

Mike
September 9, 2005 8:33:23 PM

browser?
settings in the browser for connection criteria?
do you even get to the login on the www?

"Mike Hollywood" <noone@nowheret.net> wrote in message
> I have Juno 5.0 installed, fresh install, on a homebrew P2 350 running XP
> pro with 192 MB PC100, 5 gig hard drive, and a 56K modem from an old
> gateway. The mail feature works fine. However, it won't connect to their
> web server. This isn't the free one, but the $15 a month one Juno
server.
> After about a minute I get a report screen from Juno saying that Windows
is
> telling it there is no modem installed in the system. It goes on to say
> that Juno relys on Windows to tell it about the modem.
>
> I tried 3 different modems with the same result.
> Uninstalled and reinstalled Juno after downloading the current version
with
> the same result.
>
> Windows says all's well. In the diagnostics it says the modem is on irq
11.
> I thought i was on to something there because fishing around in the Bios,
> remembered seeing the modem was on IRQ 4. Luckily the bios made it easy
> switch the IRQ to 11, but I still get the same errror message from Juno.
>
> I emailed juno last week and got a generic reply outlining all the things
> had already done to resolve this.
>
> Juno's software, when I query if for a modem setup, sees the modem.
>
> I used both juno's and window's remove hardware feature to uninstall and
> reinstall the modem and it's drivers with the same result, it connects to
> their email website and does email, but says winows is telling it there is
> no modem when I try to connect to the internet server.
>
> I turned off all security features, fire walls, anti-virus, pop up
blockers,
> spyware blocker, etc., and the same thing occurs, email is fine, won't
> connect to the web server. I've been fooling with this for about 3 weeks
> and am about to give up on it, but thought I'd post here in case some else
> has run into this.
>
> I searched for a ng on juno but couldn't find one.
>
> TIA for any ideas.
>
> Mike

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 10, 2005 4:26:06 PM

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
news:p FmUe.32846$1g2.14030@fe05.lga...
> browser?

IE 6

> settings in the browser for connection criteria?

will have to check this and report back. I was in there but i've forgotten
exactly what they were.

> do you even get to the login on the www?

Juno loads and you put in your username password,
and then pick to connect to the email server or the web.
When I pick the web, the screed that comes up when that component loads
comes up, and that's as far as I get. You click on the connect icon, and
then I get the message that says there is no modem. strange!

> "Mike Hollywood" <noone@nowheret.net> wrote in message
>> I have Juno 5.0 installed, fresh install, on a homebrew P2 350 running XP
>> pro with 192 MB PC100, 5 gig hard drive, and a 56K modem from an old
>> gateway. The mail feature works fine. However, it won't connect to
>> their
>> web server. This isn't the free one, but the $15 a month one Juno
> server.
>> After about a minute I get a report screen from Juno saying that Windows
> is
>> telling it there is no modem installed in the system. It goes on to say
>> that Juno relys on Windows to tell it about the modem.
>>
>> I tried 3 different modems with the same result.
>> Uninstalled and reinstalled Juno after downloading the current version
> with
>> the same result.
>>
>> Windows says all's well. In the diagnostics it says the modem is on irq
> 11.
>> I thought i was on to something there because fishing around in the Bios,
>> remembered seeing the modem was on IRQ 4. Luckily the bios made it easy
>> switch the IRQ to 11, but I still get the same errror message from Juno.
>>
>> I emailed juno last week and got a generic reply outlining all the things
>> had already done to resolve this.
>>
>> Juno's software, when I query if for a modem setup, sees the modem.
>>
>> I used both juno's and window's remove hardware feature to uninstall and
>> reinstall the modem and it's drivers with the same result, it connects to
>> their email website and does email, but says winows is telling it there
>> is
>> no modem when I try to connect to the internet server.
>>
>> I turned off all security features, fire walls, anti-virus, pop up
> blockers,
>> spyware blocker, etc., and the same thing occurs, email is fine, won't
>> connect to the web server. I've been fooling with this for about 3 weeks
>> and am about to give up on it, but thought I'd post here in case some
>> else
>> has run into this.
>>
>> I searched for a ng on juno but couldn't find one.
>>
>> TIA for any ideas.
>>
>> Mike

a b B Homebuilt system
September 10, 2005 7:53:20 PM

Try running this.
http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/winfix.shtm

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
news:p FmUe.32846$1g2.14030@fe05.lga...
> browser?
> settings in the browser for connection criteria?
> do you even get to the login on the www?
>
> "Mike Hollywood" <noone@nowheret.net> wrote in message
>> I have Juno 5.0 installed, fresh install, on a homebrew P2 350 running XP
>> pro with 192 MB PC100, 5 gig hard drive, and a 56K modem from an old
>> gateway. The mail feature works fine. However, it won't connect to
>> their
>> web server. This isn't the free one, but the $15 a month one Juno
> server.
>> After about a minute I get a report screen from Juno saying that Windows
> is
>> telling it there is no modem installed in the system. It goes on to say
>> that Juno relys on Windows to tell it about the modem.
>>
>> I tried 3 different modems with the same result.
>> Uninstalled and reinstalled Juno after downloading the current version
> with
>> the same result.
>>
>> Windows says all's well. In the diagnostics it says the modem is on irq
> 11.
>> I thought i was on to something there because fishing around in the Bios,
>> remembered seeing the modem was on IRQ 4. Luckily the bios made it easy
>> switch the IRQ to 11, but I still get the same errror message from Juno.
>>
>> I emailed juno last week and got a generic reply outlining all the things
>> had already done to resolve this.
>>
>> Juno's software, when I query if for a modem setup, sees the modem.
>>
>> I used both juno's and window's remove hardware feature to uninstall and
>> reinstall the modem and it's drivers with the same result, it connects to
>> their email website and does email, but says winows is telling it there
>> is
>> no modem when I try to connect to the internet server.
>>
>> I turned off all security features, fire walls, anti-virus, pop up
> blockers,
>> spyware blocker, etc., and the same thing occurs, email is fine, won't
>> connect to the web server. I've been fooling with this for about 3 weeks
>> and am about to give up on it, but thought I'd post here in case some
>> else
>> has run into this.
>>
>> I searched for a ng on juno but couldn't find one.
>>
>> TIA for any ideas.
>>
>> Mike

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 10, 2005 7:53:21 PM

Thanks for the link.
I'm downloading it now.
Will let you know how I make out.

Mike

"BruceM" <bruce@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Try running this.
> http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/winfix.shtm
>

> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> news:p FmUe.32846$1g2.14030@fe05.lga...
>> browser?
>> settings in the browser for connection criteria?
>> do you even get to the login on the www?
>>
>> "Mike Hollywood" <noone@nowheret.net> wrote in message
>>> I have Juno 5.0 installed, fresh install, on a homebrew P2 350 running
>>> XP
>>> pro with 192 MB PC100, 5 gig hard drive, and a 56K modem from an old
>>> gateway. The mail feature works fine. However, it won't connect to
>>> their
>>> web server. This isn't the free one, but the $15 a month one Juno
>> server.
>>> After about a minute I get a report screen from Juno saying that Windows
>> is
>>> telling it there is no modem installed in the system. It goes on to say
>>> that Juno relys on Windows to tell it about the modem.
>>>
>>> I tried 3 different modems with the same result.
>>> Uninstalled and reinstalled Juno after downloading the current version
>> with
>>> the same result.
>>>
>>> Windows says all's well. In the diagnostics it says the modem is on irq
>> 11.
>>> I thought i was on to something there because fishing around in the
>>> Bios,
>>> remembered seeing the modem was on IRQ 4. Luckily the bios made it easy
>>> switch the IRQ to 11, but I still get the same errror message from Juno.
>>>
>>> I emailed juno last week and got a generic reply outlining all the
>>> things
>>> had already done to resolve this.
>>>
>>> Juno's software, when I query if for a modem setup, sees the modem.
>>>
>>> I used both juno's and window's remove hardware feature to uninstall and
>>> reinstall the modem and it's drivers with the same result, it connects
>>> their email website and does email, but says winows is telling it there
>>> is
>>> no modem when I try to connect to the internet server.
>>>
>>> I turned off all security features, fire walls, anti-virus, pop up
>> blockers,
>>> spyware blocker, etc., and the same thing occurs, email is fine, won't
>>> connect to the web server. I've been fooling with this for about 3
>>> weeks
>>> and am about to give up on it, but thought I'd post here in case some
>>> else
>>> has run into this.
>>>
>>> I searched for a ng on juno but couldn't find one.
>>>
>>> TIA for any ideas.
>>>
>>> Mike

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2005 2:48:24 PM

I got the file successfully and ran it this morning, but
it didn't fix it.

Thanks

"~1Alex~" <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> Thanks for the link.
> I'm downloading it now.
> Will let you know how I make out.
>
> Mike
>
> "BruceM" <bruce@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Try running this.
>> http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/winfix.shtm
>>

>> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
>> news:p FmUe.32846$1g2.14030@fe05.lga...
>>> browser?
>>> settings in the browser for connection criteria?
>>> do you even get to the login on the www?
>>>
>>> "Mike Hollywood" <noone@nowheret.net> wrote in message
>>> server.
>>> is

>>> with

>>> 11.

>>> blockers,

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2005 2:58:28 PM

HI Jad,

I think you're on to something here. There's an ethernet card in the box,
and I used that with cat5 cable to router to get to the internet and get the
new version of juno. It works fine. To get to Juno's web site I used IE 6,
and then typed in the juno address, etc.
Guess what? Under tools, options, internet, connections it won't allow me
to create a dialup connection. That option is grayed out. When I use the
connection wizard it has a dot in the broadband selection and won't let me
remove it. I tried with the cat5 cable in and out after rebooting. So, it
looks like the problem is with IE's connection component. What may be
happening is with the dialup grayed out, when Juno looks to dialup it sees
grayed out it says their is no modem. This isn't what juno's error message
says, though, it says windows is reporting there is no modem, not IE is
reporting no modem. Juno still gets email fine via dial-up.
Do you think this is really the problem and if so, do you have any ideas on
how to make it let me add a dial up account?

Thanks,

Mike

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
news:p FmUe.32846$1g2.14030@fe05.lga...
> browser?
> settings in the browser for connection criteria?
> do you even get to the login on the www?
>
> "Mike Hollywood" <noone@nowheret.net> wrote in message
>> I have Juno 5.0 installed, fresh install, on a homebrew P2 350 running XP
>> pro with 192 MB PC100, 5 gig hard drive, and a 56K modem from an old
>> gateway. The mail feature works fine. However, it won't connect to
>> their
>> web server. This isn't the free one, but the $15 a month one Juno
> server.
>> After about a minute I get a report screen from Juno saying that Windows
> is
>> telling it there is no modem installed in the system. It goes on to say
>> that Juno relys on Windows to tell it about the modem.
>>
>> I tried 3 different modems with the same result.
>> Uninstalled and reinstalled Juno after downloading the current version
> with
>> the same result.
>>
>> Windows says all's well. In the diagnostics it says the modem is on irq
> 11.
>> I thought i was on to something there because fishing around in the Bios,
>> remembered seeing the modem was on IRQ 4. Luckily the bios made it easy
>> switch the IRQ to 11, but I still get the same errror message from Juno.
>>
>> I emailed juno last week and got a generic reply outlining all the things
>> had already done to resolve this.
>>
>> Juno's software, when I query if for a modem setup, sees the modem.
>>
>> I used both juno's and window's remove hardware feature to uninstall and
>> reinstall the modem and it's drivers with the same result, it connects to
>> their email website and does email, but says winows is telling it there
>> is
>> no modem when I try to connect to the internet server.
>>
>> I turned off all security features, fire walls, anti-virus, pop up
> blockers,
>> spyware blocker, etc., and the same thing occurs, email is fine, won't
>> connect to the web server. I've been fooling with this for about 3 weeks
>> and am about to give up on it, but thought I'd post here in case some
>> else
>> has run into this.
>>
>> I searched for a ng on juno but couldn't find one.
>>
>> TIA for any ideas.
>>
>> Mike

September 11, 2005 2:58:29 PM

I believe that is the problem, try running the 'small network wizard', it
sounds as though your connection is set to run through a LAN. (broadband)

> [...]
> >>
> >> I used both juno's and window's remove hardware feature to uninstall
and
> >> reinstall the modem and it's drivers with the same result, it connects
> >> their email website and does email, but says winows is telling it there
> >> is
> >> no modem when I try to connect to the internet server.
> >>
> >> I turned off all security features, fire walls, anti-virus, pop up
> > blockers,
> >> spyware blocker, etc., and the same thing occurs, email is fine, won't
> >> connect to the web server. I've been fooling with this for about 3
weeks
> >> and am about to give up on it, but thought I'd post here in case some
> >> else
> >> has run into this.
> >>
> >> I searched for a ng on juno but couldn't find one.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2005 3:46:53 PM

I've made a little progress on this,:
Internet Properties, Connections, add dial-up and virtual privae network
settings, add - gives me the following error msg:
Cannot load the Remote Access Connection Manager service,
Error 711: A configuarion error on this computer is preventing thes
connection. For further assistance, click More Info or serach Help and
Support Center for this error number.

Too bad there is no "more info" button to click on, ha ha.

So far I found out the 711 error has something to do with plug and play and
it should be enabled, but I haven't been able to find out where that
particular switch is. There is one in the bios and I have "plug and play
OS" enabled there, but I haven't been able to find one in Windows itself.

Thanks,

Mike

"Mike Hollywood" <noone@nowheret.net> wrote in message
>I have Juno 5.0 installed, fresh install, on a homebrew P2 350 running XP
>pro with 192 MB PC100, 5 gig hard drive, and a 56K modem from an old
>gateway. The mail feature works fine. However, it won't connect to their
>web server. This isn't the free one, but the $15 a month one Juno server.
>After about a minute I get a report screen from Juno saying that Windows is
>telling it there is no modem installed in the system. It goes on to say
>that Juno relys on Windows to tell it about the modem.
>
> I tried 3 different modems with the same result.
> Uninstalled and reinstalled Juno after downloading the current version
> with the same result.
>
> Windows says all's well. In the diagnostics it says the modem is on irq
> 11. I thought i was on to something there because fishing around in the
> Bios, i remembered seeing the modem was on IRQ 4. Luckily the bios made
> it easy to switch the IRQ to 11, but I still get the same errror message
> from Juno.
>
> I emailed juno last week and got a generic reply outlining all the things
> I had already done to resolve this.
>
> Juno's software, when I query if for a modem setup, sees the modem.
>
> I used both juno's and window's remove hardware feature to uninstall and
> reinstall the modem and it's drivers with the same result, it connects to
> their email website and does email, but says winows is telling it there is
> no modem when I try to connect to the internet server.
>
> I turned off all security features, fire walls, anti-virus, pop up
> blockers, spyware blocker, etc., and the same thing occurs, email is fine,
> won't connect to the web server. I've been fooling with this for about 3
> weeks and am about to give up on it, but thought I'd post here in case
> some else has run into this.
>
> I searched for a ng on juno but couldn't find one.
>
> TIA for any ideas.
>
> Mike

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2005 3:55:41 PM

Hi Jad,
I just ran the wizard, but it still has everything grayed out except for the
: "Connect using a broadband connection that is always on."

Thanks for the idea.

I also thought about restore points, but there are none from before this
problem occured.

agghhh!!!!

Mike

>I believe that is the problem, try running the 'small network wizard', it
> sounds as though your connection is set to run through a LAN. (broadband)
>
> "Mike Hollywood" <noone@nowheret.net> wrote in message
>> HI Jad,
>>
>> I think you're on to something here. There's an ethernet card in the
>> box,
>> and I used that with cat5 cable to router to get to the internet and get
> the
>> new version of juno. It works fine. To get to Juno's web site I used IE
> 6,
>> and then typed in the juno address, etc.
>> Guess what? Under tools, options, internet, connections it won't allow
>> me
>> to create a dialup connection. That option is grayed out. When I use
>> the
>> connection wizard it has a dot in the broadband selection and won't let
>> me
>> remove it. I tried with the cat5 cable in and out after rebooting. So,
> it
>> looks like the problem is with IE's connection component. What may be
>> happening is with the dialup grayed out, when Juno looks to dialup it
>> sees
>> grayed out it says their is no modem. This isn't what juno's error
> message
>> says, though, it says windows is reporting there is no modem, not IE is
>> reporting no modem. Juno still gets email fine via dial-up.
>> Do you think this is really the problem and if so, do you have any ideas
> on
>> how to make it let me add a dial up account?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mike
>>

>> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
>> news:p FmUe.32846$1g2.14030@fe05.lga...
>> > browser?
>> > settings in the browser for connection criteria?
>> > do you even get to the login on the www?
>> >
>> > "Mike Hollywood" <noone@nowheret.net> wrote in message
> XP
>> > server.
> Windows
>> > is
> say

>> > with

> irq
>> > 11.
> Bios,
> easy
> Juno.

> things

> and

>> > blockers,
> weeks

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2005 4:14:31 PM

Ah Ha! I got it.
The crucial clue was the 711 error code.
At Microsoft's web site, I found a fix that requried
enabeling 3 services, two had to do with remote this and that,
and the other one I forgot already. duh...
Anyway, after setting them to AUTO, the web site said to
set them to manual, but I wouldn't know how to manually
set up anything more complicated than lunch, so I picked
auto, and when I tried it, viola! It worked.

Thanks for the help I've received with this!

MIke

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
>I believe that is the problem, try running the 'small network wizard', it
> sounds as though your connection is set to run through a LAN. (broadband)
>
> "Mike Hollywood" <noone@nowheret.net> wrote in message
>> HI Jad,
>>
>> I think you're on to something here. There's an ethernet card in the
>> box,
>> and I used that with cat5 cable to router to get to the internet and get
> the
>> new version of juno. It works fine. To get to Juno's web site I used IE
> 6,
>> and then typed in the juno address, etc.
>> Guess what? Under tools, options, internet, connections it won't allow
>> me
>> to create a dialup connection. That option is grayed out. When I use
>> the
>> connection wizard it has a dot in the broadband selection and won't let
>> me
>> remove it. I tried with the cat5 cable in and out after rebooting. So,
> it
>> looks like the problem is with IE's connection component. What may be
>> happening is with the dialup grayed out, when Juno looks to dialup it
>> sees
>> grayed out it says their is no modem. This isn't what juno's error
> message
>> says, though, it says windows is reporting there is no modem, not IE is
>> reporting no modem. Juno still gets email fine via dial-up.
>> Do you think this is really the problem and if so, do you have any ideas
> on
>> how to make it let me add a dial up account?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mike
>>

>> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
>> news:p FmUe.32846$1g2.14030@fe05.lga...
>> > browser?
>> > settings in the browser for connection criteria?
>> > do you even get to the login on the www?
>> >
>> > "Mike Hollywood" <noone@nowheret.net> wrote in message
> XP
>> > server.
> Windows