Heat sink fan adapter

Just to share recent experience.

Just installed a Thermaltake Silent Boost for K8. Removed the 80mm fan.
Installed an 90mm adapter and a 90 mm fan [it was Thermaltakes SilentCat].
Result: System noise noticeable more than the ArticCooler Silencer 64 Ultra
TC and 3 C cooler.

Not liking the increase in noise, removed the fan and fan adapter, installed
the 80mm fan that came with the Silent Boost.
Result: Significantly quieter - quieter than the ArticCooler. 1 C cooler
than with the 90mm fan [which is a surprise].

Someone else may know, but I'm wondering if the SilentCat was suffering from
backpressure due to the 'restricted' flow thru the adapter.

fj wrote:

> Just to share recent experience.
>
> Just installed a Thermaltake Silent Boost for K8. Removed the 80mm fan.
> Installed an 90mm adapter and a 90 mm fan [it was Thermaltakes SilentCat].
> Result: System noise noticeable more than the ArticCooler Silencer 64 Ultra
> TC and 3 C cooler.
>
> Not liking the increase in noise, removed the fan and fan adapter, installed
> the 80mm fan that came with the Silent Boost.
> Result: Significantly quieter - quieter than the ArticCooler. 1 C cooler
> than with the 90mm fan [which is a surprise].

Not really.

> Someone else may know, but I'm wondering if the SilentCat was suffering from
> backpressure due to the 'restricted' flow thru the adapter.

Of course.

Try this. Take one of the fans in the open air and and move your hand
around the exhaust side to see where the airflow is. It's all slung to the
periphery by the fan blades, and continues in that direction, with very
little, if any, in the center.

Now imagine putting the adapter on it. That air will be slammed right up
against the adapter walls and has to make an almost 90 degree direction
change just to head off in the direction of the smaller hole. All the
'oomph' it had going in the original direction is lost against the wall and
in the direction change.